Orchestral Instrument Collection - any users?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
joe.cavers

Orchestral Instrument Collection - any users?

Post by joe.cavers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:19 am

Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone on this forum uses the OIC? I don't see it mentioned often...

Cheers
JC

P.S. I finally got round to buying Live 8 this week. I'm in a state of ridiculous giddy excitement :D

brightonalex

Re: Orchestral Instrument Collection - any users?

Post by brightonalex » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:46 am

I can't afford OIC. So I'm going to freakin top meself.

boomtchik

Post by boomtchik » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:56 am

I think that in 2009 we need something other than "Orchestral Instruments"...
Stealth Bomber PC - Vista 64bit - FF400 - Moog Voyager Lunar - Little Phatty Tribute - Korg ESX1 - Live 8 uninstalled

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:34 am

I have it, and the strings sound *beautiful* but I don't use any of the rest of it.

oh, and the brass is kind of sucky.
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:38 am

I use the shizz that comes with EIC2 but dont have the full OIC.

You've got to tweak params like a mutha to get those instruments sounding 'real'

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:40 am

I was thinking of getting this the other day as i'm doing a film score. some more reviews would be good. I have seen some magazine reviews that said it was excellent, but never heard it mentioned on the forums much.

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:46 am

Just don't expect to fire up the brass sounds and have them sound good, they're pretty much only for layering under stuff, the trumpet solo especially sounds nob all like a trumpet =D (I've played trumpet for 14 years, I know =)
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

joe.cavers

Post by joe.cavers » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:42 pm

Interesting to hear guys. In honesty the strings are what appeal to me most, I LOVE string quartet sounds. Was also considering the woodwind however. I was really amazed to see that you can change the articulation with one macro knob, that appealed to me a lot in regard to doing large arrangements, or even in use Live. Moving from staccato to legato always sounds pretty cool and changes the texture of a piece drastically. Currently working in Logic and the only way to do that is either to have another track with the different voice, or to send program change messages to ESX24 (sampler).
boomtchik wrote:I think that in 2009 we need something other than "Orchestral Instruments"...
I can't tell if this is a genuine statement or if it's Sarcastic Statement of the Week...

JC

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:56 pm

i wanted to get OIC just so I could remake the POTC score... then I realized how ridiculous I was being. Although, that would've been really f'n cool if I was able to do it.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:46 am

joe.cavers wrote:ICurrently working in Logic and the only way to do that is either to have another track with the different voice, or to send program change messages to ESX24 (sampler).
ever tried the Logic 8 preset "Full Strings" in EXS24? you can change articulation by mod-wheel there.
there are other sounds too with articulation change by lower keyboard note switch.

i only heared the demos of abletons orchestra and think they are too expensive for what they are.
there are better libraries out there. eastwest or kirk hunter (whicht needs NIs kontakt) miroslav vitous at IK multimedia or the expensive and big big vsl.

Saxer

Post by Saxer » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:50 am

boomtchik wrote:I think that in 2009 we need something other than "Orchestral Instruments"...
if someday you´ll watch any new blockbuster movie und you will not hear a big orchestral score, we can go on talking about...

joe.cavers

Post by joe.cavers » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:54 pm

Saxer wrote: ever tried the Logic 8 preset "Full Strings" in EXS24? you can change articulation by mod-wheel there.
there are other sounds too with articulation change by lower keyboard note switch.

i only heared the demos of abletons orchestra and think they are too expensive for what they are.
there are better libraries out there. eastwest or kirk hunter (whicht needs NIs kontakt) miroslav vitous at IK multimedia or the expensive and big big vsl.
SWEET DUDE I did not know that! Will be trying that soon :)

Yea, I've heard good good things about IK Multimedia's Miroslav Philharmonik. The only thing I was considering was that maybe the Ableton OIC would integrate better than a 3rd party VST. Suppose it depends on your CPU etc?

JC

mihai

Post by mihai » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:23 pm

the eastwest symphonic orchestra is too good. i've got the silver pack ($176 + $40 for ilok) and highly recommend it over anything else especially for that price.

scientist

Post by scientist » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:13 pm

i don't own the OIC, but judging by the demos i think there are better options for the money. intergration w/ ableton is tempting, as some of the other libraries are seriously ram/hd intensive, and it looks as if the OIC is designed to be very efficient. but i can't justify the price compared to other libraries that imo are more realistic sounding.

if you're just looking for basic orchestral sounds, i'd get kontakt (includes vsl sounds), garritan personal orchestra, or eastwest silver before i sprang for the OIC...even the full version of kontakt is far cheaper than the OIC. once you're in the $500+ range there's vsl and eastwest gold. and if money is no object, the LASS demos sound amazingly realistic:
http://www.audiobro.com/audio/LASS_She_ ... r_lass.mp3
strings only, but those are the most realistic sampled strings i've heard to date.