Laurent Garnier - Fuck USA

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Komplex

Laurent Garnier - Fuck USA

Post by Komplex » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:14 am

Here's an article I've kindly pinched from inthemix.com.au.
Laurent Garnier has cancelled his USA tour dates because of what he calls unreasonable demands by the U.S embassy. "I am very sorry to have to cancel my forthcoming U.S. tour due to what I consider to be completely unreasonable demands by the U.S. Embassy in France in order to renew my work visa." the DJ said.

He continued, "In order to obtain this new visa, the rules have once again changed since November 2004 and I would now have to not only fill out an exceedingly probing application form, but also be interviewed by a member of the Embassy staff, and provide proof of ownership of my house, details of my bank account, my mobile phone records, personal information on all my family members and more. I consider these demands to be a complete violation of my privacy and my civil liberties and I refuse to comply.

"I am horrified by these new regulations and feel really sad that this is what some call freedom and democracy. It has now become almost impossible for an artist to come and perform in the United States. And until this new procedure changes I will unfortunately refuse to comply with this nonsense. Thank you for your understanding." said Garnier.
Now my questions for you guys are:

Is Garnier being a little bitch?
or
Is the USA totally fucked up?

FaX-01

Post by FaX-01 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:27 am

Lets just say Garnier isn't being a bitch.
I wouldn't say the USA is "totally fucked up" either but I can understand the principals of his stance.
I sure as hell wouldn't surrender all that information just to enter another country for a tour / holiday /or what ever .
My aren't the wings of butterflies beautiful and do they not make wonderful perturbations.....

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:40 am

wierd, i don't have any problems getting in and out of the U.S. to play.

hmmmm. :wink:

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:56 am

:lol:

That's the thing. Other artists seem to be able to do it. But at the same time I totally agree with Laurent...

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:03 am

i'm not saying the US isn't in a totally fucked up state of mind right now (especially governmentally), nor am i saying Garnier is wrong here... but thers is a possibility that Garnier got "listed" for copping attitude to customs and immigration sometime in the past. I've got a couple buddies from Italy who have to deal with shit just like this, and they willingly admit it was due to past insubordination with an immigration officer.

Zakari Luk

Post by Zakari Luk » Sat Feb 05, 2005 5:42 am

to answer your question, the usa is totally fucked up.

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:10 am

Cheers for Garnier

Rx

Post by Rx » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:44 am

he could ditch his vinyl for Live and just come on a regular visa...

i wouldn't give up all that info if asked, tho.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

drush

Post by drush » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:32 am

Rx wrote:i wouldn't give up all that info if asked, tho.
exactly

supster

Post by supster » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:09 am

its all about the freedom fries

imo
--
NEW SPECS: Athlon 4200+ dual; A8N-SLI m/b; Win XP Home SP2; 1 GB RAM; 2x 7200 RPM HDD: 1 internal, 1 Firewire 800 (Firewire is project data drive); M-Audio Triggerfinger

josh 'vonster' von; tracks and sets
http://www.joshvon.com

braj

Post by braj » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:21 am

I live in California. He-Man is our Govenor. Howdy-Doody is our President. I think that's pretty fucked up personally.

madlab

Post by madlab » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:56 am

supster wrote:its all about the freedom fries

imo
Here's the proof that some of the USA inhabitants are totally fucked up. Come on, grow up and forget potatoes.
Aboard from V. 1
MBP M1 Pro 2021 - 16 Go RAM - Monterey 12.6.3
MBP 2.5 Ghz I7 16 Go SSD OSX 10.14
iPad + Mira+ TouchOsc
RME FF UC Live 11.3.21 M4L Max 8
Band : https://elastocat.org/
Madlab sound unit / objects, guitar, electronics / end_of_transmission

LiveLong

Post by LiveLong » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:14 am

These are the modern dark ages.

AdamJay,
About gettin listed, at the last public speech the president gave at Fargo, while open to all, a few of people were formaly informed they are not alowed to participate. These are a small group of various people, 2 college students, teachers, and professors, that do not support the current policy, and dare to challenge it in public.
These are not protestors who disturb order, scream and wave flags...

The fact that they can not go where all can, because they have a different political view is one thing.

...The other is that someone is listing these people, the ones who are known to challenge the current policy.
This is not a WalMart shopping list made that morning, this was ordered by someone. It takes time and resourcess to do so. It was, and was used. :|

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:21 am

LiveLong, i totally agree that its fucked up... just pointing out that there's perhaps a deeper reason Garnier has to leap through hoops to get here to work these days. Just speculating on an explanation for it all.

I don't agree with it at all, its BS. This gov't becomes more tyranical every day.

LiveLong

Post by LiveLong » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:31 am

You are right about that possibility, and this is known to happen. I was writing in general, the "list" thing you mentioned reminded me of that.