Warping video tutorial for Ableton 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
joeyfivecents

Re: Warping video tutorial for Ableton 8

Post by joeyfivecents » Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:58 am

very helpful
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

joeyfivecents

Post by joeyfivecents » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:20 am

you lost me a little bit on the second tutorial but I think I finally get it. Question: if we can extract grooves from audio and apply it to other audio tracks couldn't I in theory take for example, the kick drum track from a multitrack live drum session, extract the groove, and then apply it to say, the bass guitar track to get the timing just right?
iMac, MacBook Pro, Live Suite, Reason, Logic Pro, Melodyne, FL Studio, iConnect Audio4+, Little Martin, ukelele, Greco gtrs, pedalboard, amps, mics .
http://www.soundcloud.com/gradynickel

smisk

Post by smisk » Thu Apr 23, 2009 7:55 am

joeyfivecents wrote:you lost me a little bit on the second tutorial but I think I finally get it. Question: if we can extract grooves from audio and apply it to other audio tracks couldn't I in theory take for example, the kick drum track from a multitrack live drum session, extract the groove, and then apply it to say, the bass guitar track to get the timing just right?
Yes, you can. That's the great thing about it - sharing a groove for all the tracks to create coherence.

theque

Post by theque » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:41 am

cheers, i thought i was retarded until i saw this

GUY SMILEY

Post by GUY SMILEY » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Just watched both videos in their entirety. Excellent, really really helpful. I realise now the problems I was having with note lengths the other night can be attributed to the bug you identified. As someone who attempted to help with the beta testing, it's embarrassing to see how a bit more time and effort could have identified these problems earlier..
so thanks for not only help me understand the programme better, but for pointing out the bits which were really boggling my mind.
look forward to the next one(s)

mrvinyl

Post by mrvinyl » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:02 pm

bump
very useful! kudos!

you can also hear me ringing his phone during the video :lol:
House Music Made In England...
Twitter
Facebook

topaz_7

Post by topaz_7 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:30 pm

Not sure if this thread is completely cold at this point - but I noticed a strange phenomenon when trying out the new method.

I load a track and intend to adjust the beginning to remove silent space.
Using the Shift click on the existing 1.1 marker, I slide the track just like he does in the video. Great.

But while the waveform is under my mouse control, the beat grid starts to jiggle and actually SLIDE left or right, slowly drifting toward or away from my cursor, depending on where I am in relation to... what I'm not sure. At first I thought it might be drifting, magnet-like towards the nearest pseudo-marker.

If I keep holding, the grid will actually start to BOUNCE back and forth around my cursor or settle on a point that seems random to me.

WEIRD.

Anyone else seeing this? I can't tell if it's a bug or just a feature that I don't know how to utilize.
Either way, it's annoying.
kc

Frederik654

Post by Frederik654 » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:42 pm

Happens to me too ..

If you release shift it's sometimes fine suddenly.
Live8 Suite, Logic Pro X, µTonic, Synplant, U-He ACE, U-He Zebra2.x, U-He Uhbik's, U-He DIVA, Tal Bassline, GURU, Genelec 8040's, SPL Control, Serato, Traktor, TouchAble

gilberto del avi

Post by gilberto del avi » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:11 pm

Tarekith wrote:Nice video, I'm sure that will clear things up for people. Though I do find it funny that so much of using the new warping method relies relies on holding shift, which merely makes it act like it was in version 7 in the first place.
that's about the same thing I was going to say

yleh8k

Post by yleh8k » Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:35 am

Thanks, using shift really is easier :D
|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||
It's leisure to start songs; it's labour to finish them.

Nav

Post by Nav » Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:29 am

Really late to the party on this one, but just upgraded to 8 Suite and this saved me a ton of grief. Let the sampling commence!