Why dont alot of people browse List Your Music Thread?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
coldbuggin

Re: Why dont alot of people browse List Your Music Thread?

Post by coldbuggin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:59 pm

well i know i post stuff up there all the time (i actually even put our last album up for free download), and it is vocal based, but just falls into the abyss. i figured that maybe a lot of people here don't care for "songs," or at least my group's songs ;)

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:06 pm

H20nly wrote:
I'm glad that when I saw/enjoyed that first bit of UKRuss it was guitar and Ableton Live and him at a night club. What would he have tagged that as? Would I have listened?
I call it:

Liveguitarclubno

pedx1ng

Post by pedx1ng » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:11 pm

ethios4 wrote:I really like how KVR's music forum has a player that picks up newly listed tracks. It would be cool if Ableton forum had a little player with user music playing. I know I would be hearing a lot more of what other people are making. I very rarely go outside of the General forum, although I know I should. Then again I probably should be making music or money instead of being on here in the first place!
Exactly, that is what is needed! The Reaper guys have a streaming Shoutcast station playing a mix of songs from users and it's very eclectic. It would be a lot more convenient to load something like that up rather than hunt down a bunch of different tracks in separate threads and links. I'd love to see something like that here.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:19 pm

Rave wrote:You are so missing out if you judge a book by its cover
Seems we've come around full circle.
The label will only cause more pre-conceived notions will it not?
Rave wrote:I use my ears, post up one of your tracks
check your PMs

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:21 pm

UKRuss wrote:
H20nly wrote:
I'm glad that when I saw/enjoyed that first bit of UKRuss it was guitar and Ableton Live and him at a night club. What would he have tagged that as? Would I have listened?
I call it:

Liveguitarclubno
:lol: Wel dat dare liveguitarclubno iz kewl

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:23 pm

Rave wrote:
H20nly wrote:Okay... For you I can see that. Your screen name is Rave it would probably be real easy to guess (having not heard your music) that there is at bear minimum that House kick going all the way through most of your tracks except where it drops out and treble/highs dominate before it comes back.
For me… the songs I’ve worked on have acoustic guitar and/or electric bass, some type of drum beat (done electronically), singing, and spoken word “rapping“. What genre is that?
You are so missing out if you judge a book by its cover :(

I use my ears, post up one of your tracks :)
he did, check it...

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=121733
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Rave wrote:
H20nly wrote:Okay... For you I can see that. Your screen name is Rave it would probably be real easy to guess (having not heard your music) that there is at bear minimum that House kick going all the way through most of your tracks except where it drops out and treble/highs dominate before it comes back.
For me… the songs I’ve worked on have acoustic guitar and/or electric bass, some type of drum beat (done electronically), singing, and spoken word “rapping“. What genre is that?
You are so missing out if you judge a book by its cover :(

I use my ears, post up one of your tracks :)
he did, check it...

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=121733
AWE C'MON TONE!!! DAMN!!! I've totally changed all the things that make popular music since then... like my hair color, I got wing tips, the cuff of my casual suits are all different now... FUuUuUuUuCK...

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:38 pm

hurlingdervish wrote:its about getting good criticism
criticism is highly over rated.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

porfiry

Post by porfiry » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:39 pm

I enjoy soundcloud, because you get to see the exact number of the dozens of people who listen but don't comment. I don't think you can take that as anything but a negative, which probably means you're on the right track. I spent years making pop candy (think more Pet Sounds than Kanye), partially because I liked it and partially with the intention of impressing people on some level. Now I'm on a mission to make the most ugly, repetitiously rhythmic, guttural shit I can come up with, purely for my own enjoyment with grooving to it, and have rather enjoyed the disdain I sense from even old friends about it. Not what you were expectin', eh? Success, yo.

Not like I was getting rich off it even when it was pretty...

hurlingdervish

Post by hurlingdervish » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:01 am

Johnisfaster wrote:
hurlingdervish wrote:its about getting good criticism
criticism is highly over rated.
haha really?

its not that simple, you cant listen to everything people say about your music, but for technical issues a third party is very necessary, thus why it's hard to master your own material, but when given to a dedicated engineer he can make it shine

"snares too loud"

"kick is missing transient"

"too much compression"

"melody isnt loud enough"

"drums could use a fill here"

not everyone has perfect ears for mixing

bossyandrew

Post by bossyandrew » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:26 am

I will follow you ....~~~!

;)

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:03 pm

I've got 3 answers (since I admit I don't browse the "link you music" forum)

-1)
I don't to go wasting my time stumbling through threads and sound cloud accounts of people who title their thread "new track up" or "just finished a song." There are certain types of music I don't like. I simply don't want to visit those threads.
+10

I know there are songs that do not fit any genre, but hey, you could define it (fat, agressive, ambiant, disco-hop...)

-2) ableton forums are for me a great source of technical knowledge, not a site where I browse artists (I go myspace, soundcloud, or blogs for that purpose)

-3) the music we post here (yes I did) is mostly crap. (anyway, the music I listened to when I had the courage to browse this forum)

peace :D