Control Multiple Parameters With 1 Controller Knob

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
tylast

Control Multiple Parameters With 1 Controller Knob

Post by tylast » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:08 am

This has been hinted upon in other threads, but I'm gonna try to consolidate it a bit. I'm actually controlling 4 parameters with the Faderfox LV1's Stick! This is all for Windows ~ sorry. Do a search for BOME & you'll see people suggest a similar program for Macs. Download Midi Translator & Midi Yoke.

When capturing Midi from the stick, the thing is you have to replace the last 2 digits with oo or pp in both the Incoming & Outgoing message. That means your accepting the whole range. Select output original to control the original parameter. For example, I'm using the Track under the Stick section of the LV1 for the Original & FX1 for the Outgoing. So, I'm actually controlling 4 parameters in this scenario (2 in the synth & 2 in the FX)...see below. Before you even do this, you need to map the two outputs of your controller to Live. In my example below, I have the Track & FX1 of the stick mapped. I just combined them so that in Track mode of the LV1 controls the FX1 parameter as well.

Stick Up/Down Incoming BC 08 oo Outgoing BC 11 oo
Stick L/R Incoming BC 1C oo Outgoing BC 25 oo
Last edited by tylast on Tue Jan 25, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

experimedia

Post by experimedia » Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:29 pm

I was just thinking last night how I had to figure out a way to do this. I will be trying this out ASAP.
Thanks./

gsbe

control mutliple live clips/parameters with one button?

Post by gsbe » Sun Feb 06, 2005 11:18 pm

tylast-
Would you use the same two utilities to control multiple parameters in Live with a single button? Occasionally, I would really like to start multiple session clips that aren't on the same row with a single button.

I like both of these Firefox units but they are pretty expensive before shipping (~$230 US) and they haven't started sending them to the states yet. I have a friend in Germany and have been thinking about getting him to order a few and send them. I wonder if they would give us a discount if all the US forum folks got together and ordered a bunch at a time?

Anyway, I look forward to your answer.

vandeloow

Post by vandeloow » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:16 am

for panther, use this freeware:

http://www.charlie-roberts.com/controlAid/

tylast

Post by tylast » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:38 pm

gsbe ~ yes it's possible. However, why don't you just make a duplicate copy of the clip in question & stick it in the same row? Seems like a bunch of work to do something Live already can do ~ trigger multiple clips at the same time.

BTW, $230 isn't that expensive. THis thing is a tank. Every other controller I've ever had was made of cheap plastic ~ not the Faderfox Modules.

gsbe

Post by gsbe » Mon Feb 07, 2005 7:04 pm

I'd like to have multiple filter sweeps, delay times/feedback, etc on one knob.

Another example: Performing live, I like to stay in the Session view. I want the intro of the song to develop automatically while I am playing some lines, loading another computer, whatever. The intro builds from a row of 2 clips to a row of 5. I can get the 2 rows to continue down the tune with follow actions. I can't get the other rows to start automatically. Maybe there's some other way to do this, but I don't know what it is.