FFF ;-) - Is Live 8 really worse than 7 and 6?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
8O

FFF ;-) - Is Live 8 really worse than 7 and 6?

Post by 8O » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:47 am

I've been using Live since Live6 and been using this forum since that time.

It does seem recently with 8 that there are many more complaints about its stability. And subjectively, I've had more crashes in Live8 than with 6 and 7...

But...

1. My crashes could be partly due to trying out new stuff, using more VSTs than I did back in 6 and 7. That's not to say the crashes are ok, just maybe on my configuration, they'd've been caught earlier if I'd used 6 and 7 the way I'm using 8.

2. I guess the Live user-base is increasing all the time. And users who have no problems tend not have to visit the forum or voice their positive experience here. So we overwhelmingly hear from the minority (?) who do have problems, and as the user-base increases, that minority gets larger in absolute figures.

Thoughts?

SubFunk

Re: FFF ;-) - Is Live 8 really worse than 7 and 6?

Post by SubFunk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:51 am

i am a big fan and supporter of live since version 5

but 8 still annoys the hell out of me!

and abletons attitude towards fixing the problems... beta 8.0.5b8... 8? HELLO!!!!
*** Image GAFM ***

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 am

I'm on board since epsiode 3. I use it for performance and production. I'm loving live 8, yes it does some weird buggy things but I usually get too caught up on the possibilities of what it can do to worry about them. And I have every faith in Ableton to sort stuff out, I trust their attitude and ideals completely, thats where I stand.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:09 am

8O wrote:could be partly due to trying out new stuff, using more VSTs
COULD be, yes.
But we also hear a lot complaints from people saying they
have problems with sets in Live 8 that ran fine in Live 7.
I'm on Live 6 (started with 3, skipped 7 and wanted to
upgrade to Live 8 immediately - I haven't until today...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:19 am

SubFunk wrote:i am a big fan and supporter of live since version 5

but 8 still annoys the hell out of me!

and abletons attitude towards fixing the problems... beta 8.0.5b8... 8? HELLO!!!!
You'd rater not see any fixes at all?
Or even better, have them ship untested versions into the wild as point releases?
If you want to argue that they should just get more testers, well that is what the beta is for.
If you want to argue that you shouldn't have the option to test a beta without compensation, there is a jobs section. But chances are that you probably will find a little difficulty explaining your plan of how every computer configuration can be tested while trying out every way Live is used.
And as far as things being broken since older versions go, I haven't got any of those issues personally. But it sounds like a reproducible scenario to me. Works in 7, doesn't work in 8. Easy to say, easy to illustrate and probably easy to reproduce. Add a detailed report and you got yourself 75% of a bugfix.

Its fun fun friday. I'm up for an argument. In the left corner we got Ableton, working as hard as they can getting rid of every bug they can reproduce. In the opposite corner we have the gaming industry, releasing unfinished games with the intention of selling extra features a week after release. Not giving a flying crap about fixing bugs because they're already working on their next title which has to appear on 7 platforms. With one decent game and 6 crappy ports.

Ableton can go up to 50 beta's for all I care. If every single version has at least one issue less, its totally worth it.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:23 am

Coupe70 wrote:
8O wrote:could be partly due to trying out new stuff, using more VSTs
COULD be, yes.
But we also hear a lot complaints from people saying they
have problems with sets in Live 8 that ran fine in Live 7.
I'm on Live 6, skipped 7 and wanted to upgrade to Live 8
immediately - I haven't until today...
that is the POINT, i also jumped fro 6 straight to 8, all sets that worked fine under 6 give me the one or other headache in 8

also all my plugs working fine in any other host i use as well next to Live, which is Logic and Peak, if a plug works fine under those, perfectly fine!!!

i do expect it to be 100% fine under Live 8 as well!!!

and there is so many baby shit going on with 8, like you only can grab the loop bracket if it the beginning respectively end is exceeding the size of the arrange on it's end bit to adjust the length, but not the beginning, for the beginning you need to scroll to the actual visual beginning of it in order to be able to grab it to change the size, WTF baby shit!

this is stuff that makes me sooo... aggressive, i could explode! over 700 euros for the suite and then this kind of shit?
*** Image GAFM ***

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:23 am

I'm enjoying 8. 8)

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:41 am

8 for me has only crashed a few times, but ive been doing alot of work using maschine and a couple more vsts and its been running fine and overall like it alot.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

8O

Post by 8O » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:46 am

hoffman2k wrote:...And as far as things being broken since older versions go, I haven't got any of those issues personally. But it sounds like a reproducible scenario to me. Works in 7, doesn't work in 8. Easy to say, easy to illustrate and probably easy to reproduce. Add a detailed report and you got yourself 75% of a bugfix...
This is one of the reasons why I posted the question. The majority of crashes I've had on 8 are non-reproducible ones e.g. I was just dragging this device on to a track and it crashed. Second time I try it, it doesn't crash. Subjectively, this happened less often using 7, but with the possible caveat that I mentioned before.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:55 am

8O wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:...And as far as things being broken since older versions go, I haven't got any of those issues personally. But it sounds like a reproducible scenario to me. Works in 7, doesn't work in 8. Easy to say, easy to illustrate and probably easy to reproduce. Add a detailed report and you got yourself 75% of a bugfix...
This is one of the reasons why I posted the question. The majority of crashes I've had on 8 are non-reproducible ones e.g. I was just dragging this device on to a track and it crashed. Second time I try it, it doesn't crash. Subjectively, this happened less often using 7, but with the possible caveat that I mentioned before.
yup it is random shit going on that does not in previous versions plus a list full of stuff that works in previous versions (standard functions!!) but not in 8, that is annoying.
*** Image GAFM ***

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:57 am

8O wrote:
One of the advantages of the beta's is the fact that in at least one of those unexplained crashes, you'll get a crash pack to send to Ableton that may ensure this doesn't happen in the next beta.
I'm not saying its really acceptable that the bug is there at all, but in this digital age I'll take beta's and reachable developers over monthly patches and support forms at the end of a "knowledge" base. I'll take these beta's anyday. And yes, I have lost work in those moments I forgot to save in time. And the restoration feature failed afterwards. It definitely pissed me off. Still, it generated a crash pack and I haven't had the issue since. Can't argue with results.

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:27 am

I think all of you are missing one very important point:

Live 8 has a vocoder. :mrgreen:
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

Bionecteur

Post by Bionecteur » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:45 am

Hi All,

I am in the game since Live 3. I had problems...but only a very few and ABLETON fixed it ( most of the time) with the next update. I had a few chrashes with 8.02, but now I am fine with 8.04.
I am on XP3; Quad 6600 with an UAD Card, using Sylenth; Alchemy; Speakerphone; Imposcar...and NI Maschine (I love this beast!!). I have to say I am really satisfied with the performance. The only thing is, my music is still crap...but this is my own problem.
By the way, I never used cracked VST and upgrade always to the newest software versions.

Uwe
ritsch, ratsch, klick

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:36 pm

UKRuss wrote:I'm enjoying 8. 8)

me too

there are some things that still need addressing but looking at the support corner of the forum, they're busy, so i'm confident...

rarelyseen

Post by rarelyseen » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:29 pm

Live 8 is running as good as all previous versions for me. I'm on OS X 10.5.8 (Mac Pro and Macbook Pro), Live 8.0.4, Sylenth1, some NI plugs, UAD1 and UAD2, RME Fireface 400, lots of external MIDI hardware. I'm happy. Reported some bugs during the Live 8 beta stage. Upgraded to 8 about a month ago. From what I can tell, all of them have been fixed. The bug reporting feature they have in the betas really helps them, so send them the files that it creates on your desktop. It's a win-win situation.