Anyone mapped their APC40 to Traktor?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
aqua_tek

Anyone mapped their APC40 to Traktor?

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:54 pm

I'm away from home for a few days, and I figured I'd ask just for the hell of it, before I try this once I get back.

I'd like to map my APC40 to Traktor Pro and I'm wondering if the clip launch button LED's also activate when mapped to any parameters in it, or other programs. Would be convenient to have them light up so I know which ones are assigned to something.

Any news on this? Anyone have some custom mappings they'd like to share?

de wouzer

Re: Anyone mapped their APC40 to Traktor?

Post by de wouzer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:03 pm

I am doing this right now, and find it very difficult.

this is what I wrote in the "ableton general forum"

I want to map my apc with traktor pro. It must be amazing, but I have some problems, I hope someone can help me to solve them.

* when i "output" a button, I think I can see on the apc40 if a digital button is turned on or off. So I mapped a button (fx 1 deck A on/off) to the most left top button on the apc40. I map this one in toggle mode. Then I duplicate this button and change the "toggle mode" to "output mode".

What happens: when I press the button on the apc 40, the digital button (fx 1 deck A on/off) will act as I expect. It turns on and off, on the toggle way.

But the output doesn't work as I expected. The light will turn "off" immediately when I stop pressing it, although the digital button is still toggled "on".

And the strange thing is: when I toggle the digital button on and off with my mouse... the light in the apc 40 reacts on the digital button, so when I press the digital button "on" with my mouse... without touching the apc.... then the light in the apc will turn on...

why the output doesn't react like i expected it,. when I toggle on and off the button with my midicontrolle
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:09 pm

I see. Well, let's hope that you get some answers on that. I can't get my head around it without having my APC40 in front of me to try it out. Once I get back home tomorrow, I'll give it a shot.

de wouzer

Post by de wouzer » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:36 am

this is what I found on another forum:

misa
Tech Wizard

The APC40's LEDs can be controlled super-easy by Traktor. Its just a matter of outputting either value 1,2,3,4,5,6 to change the LEDs from green/blinking green/amber/blinking amber/red/blinking red (I don't know if that is the respective order at the moment).

I've almost finished setting mine up completely, but I'm using it in conjuction with a VCI-100. Pretty much, each deck is given two columns of the APC. On the button matrix, one column selects hotcues 1,2,3,4 and then toggles Play/Pause. The second column selects hotcues 5,6,7,8 and then toggles Loop Active. The first two columns are always lit green, the second two are always lit red, the third two always green, and the fourth two always red to help me distinguish which deck I'm messing with (and when staring at all the buttons at once, it could get pretty disorienting without some sort of distinction). I also set up the Play/Pause and Loop Active buttons to blink when I'm reaching the end of a song so that I can quickly be alerted to activate looping and select hotcue 8 (which I always have mapped out as a quality loop near the end of a song) in case I needed more time.

Haven't done much with the Clip Stop row for now. I always leave the Scene Select row on Master to keep the rotaries and buttons on the same channel, but I may need to alter that once TPro 1.2 comes out and I need more control over fx banks.

The small buttons are used to activate fx slots for each deck (I'm placeholding 4 for when TPro 1.2 comes out), which leaves you with two buttons left for something like key lock and sync.

One of the faders is used for panning (really nice to have access to) and I haven't assigned the other one yet, but I'm thinking of using it for the key knob on the GUI.

The Scene Launch column hasn't been taken advantage of much. I use the LEDs to show master output level and clipping making for a fun visual VU. The Cue Level and Master fader are used to change BPM and Tempo Mode respectively.

Knobs and buttons on right side of controller are basically used for fx control and some MOD commands.

Maybe that gives you some ideas for your mapping.
Last edited by misa : 07-17-2009 at 12:14 PM.
macbook 2.4 ghz 2 gig ram, akai MPK 25, uc33e, apc40, ableton 8 suite, krk vx6, NI audio 8

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:00 pm

nice. did he mention if he's using any third party stuff, like max/msp or bome's or midiyoke?

I'm pumped to try mapping my stuff later tomorrow.

shamburglar

Post by shamburglar » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:09 pm

No hes not using any third party stuff. I downloaded the template and the APC lit up like a christmas tree! I was amazed... the lights on the scene launch column act like a VU meter, I have no idea how he did this.

misa

Post by misa » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Hi all, this is misa from the djtechtools forum...i just noticed this thread today. I'm glad my initial APC40 to Traktor mapping is of use to someone.

I'm looking to create a new mapping for Traktor 1.2 and post it up by the end of September. Anyone have feature requests? I'm also available to answer questions if you're running into problems creating your own mapping.

elementv

Post by elementv » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:48 pm

How about Serato? I really want to use my APC40 with serato but I am just not sure how to map it. I am sure it would be a similar method? Anyone have success?

claytonsquire

Post by claytonsquire » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:41 pm

elementv wrote:How about Serato? I really want to use my APC40 with serato but I am just not sure how to map it. I am sure it would be a similar method? Anyone have success?
Now that "The Bridge" is available I imagine it shouldn't be too hard, if still necessary at all. Check the main Ableton site for more info.