Key Shortcut for the browser?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mcpepe

Key Shortcut for the browser?

Post by mcpepe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:27 am

Every time I want to select the clips I press "TAB" twice.
Every time I want to select the devices or clip view I press "Shift+TAB" twice.
Every time I want to select the browser I press "Command+Shift+F" twice.

Is there a way to do this faster, with just a keystroke?

And into the browser...how can I select Browser 1, 2, 3, etc...with the keyboard?

Thanks.

SubFunk

Re: Key Shortcut for the browser?

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 am

mcpepe wrote:Every time I want to select the clips I press "TAB" twice.
Every time I want to select the devices or clip view I press "Shift+TAB" twice.
Every time I want to select the browser I press "Command+Shift+F" twice.

Is there a way to do this faster, with just a keystroke?

And into the browser...how can I select Browser 1, 2, 3, etc...with the keyboard?

Thanks.
this is pissing me off since i know Live, you can't select the buttons (live devices / 3rd party plugs and 1, 2, 3,) and / or the browser's fold / un-fold via a key... FAIL.

same as now in 8 assigning a key to group fold / un-fold... MEGA FAIL.
*** Image GAFM ***

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:42 am

show/hide browser = ctrl+alt+b

move around sections in live = alt+ arrow keys

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:44 am

3dot... wrote:show/hide browser = ctrl+alt+b

yeah, but you can't have an assigned single key. that is the point, dozens of functions are assignable to a single key, except those ones... :cry:
*** Image GAFM ***

mcpepe

Post by mcpepe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks for this.

But I still cannot select live devices, 3rd party plugs, 1, 2, 3...in the browser

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:06 am

mcpepe wrote:

Thanks for this.

But I still cannot select live devices, 3rd party plugs, 1, 2, 3...in the browser
nope, at least not with a convenient one key push... same with groups. :cry:
and alt+command+b is a finger breaker on a mac... or you use two hands for it... :cry:
i personally find all the hardwired live shortcuts stoopid... like F9 / F11 / F12 located on the right side of the keyboard like the mouse :roll:

nice arm twister.

but hey this we can argue, it's a mater of taste... not being able to map the browser buttons and fold / un-fold for the browser and also groups to a single key... is a MAJOR FAIL.
*** Image GAFM ***

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:18 am

OSX users can override all menu commands.
For example, I access the file browsers using CMND + 1, CMND + 2 and CMND + 3. (not from numpad. So its &, é and ")

For more info, go to http://macapper.com/2007/11/10/custom-k ... s-in-os-x/

Not sure about windows, but there must be something similar. In Osx its built-in and your commands will work over all versions of Live you have installed.

esky

Post by esky » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:43 am

YES...make those browser commands and all window commands key mapable AND Midi mapable (for apc use!!!)

+1+1+1+1+1...!!!

mcpepe

Post by mcpepe » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:59 am

Wooooowwwww!! Thanks hoffman2k for this trick!!

It's working fantastic for me now!
Some points:
1.-You have to shut down and up Live so it will work.
2.-I am using a Macbook and for me it is CMND + 1, CMND + 2 and CMND + 3, NOT &, é and ")

Thanks again.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 am

I worked with Logic until version 2.6 (non audio) and the great thing was that there is a super long list of commands that you could assign to keys, also commands THAT WERE NOT AVAILABLE from the drop down menu's like note nudge left/right by bar, grid division, tick so you can set it up that the more modifier keys you press the finer the amount of nudge you give to a not, really cool for juggling sliced loops. This would be a piece of piss to program and Live has such agreat mappings browser already! Lets have key commands!

Windows: You can use Autohotkeys so a single key executes stuff like browser open/close.
Someone made the free "Vitamin L" or something it's called if you don't want to do this yourself with a tonne of commands

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:25 am

hoffman2k wrote:OSX users can override all menu commands.
For example, I access the file browsers using CMND + 1, CMND + 2 and CMND + 3. (not from numpad. So its &, é and ")

Not sure about windows, but there must be something similar. In Osx its built-in and your commands will work over all versions of Live you have installed.
again it is a workaround and requires a key combination :cry: !!!

i want to be able to hit command+k or command+m and change it anytime on the fly to a SINGLE key or midi button... like dozens and dozens of other Live mappable commands... period.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:28 am

djsynchro wrote:I worked with Logic until version 2.6 (non audio) and the great thing was that there is a super long list of commands that you could assign to keys, also commands THAT WERE NOT AVAILABLE from the drop down menu's like note nudge left/right by bar, grid division, tick so you can set it up that the more modifier keys you press the finer the amount of nudge you give to a not, really cool for juggling sliced loops. This would be a piece of piss to program and Live has such agreat mappings browser already! Lets have key commands!

Windows: You can use Autohotkeys so a single key executes stuff like browser open/close.
Someone made the free "Vitamin L" or something it's called if you don't want to do this yourself with a tonne of commands
YES!!!! what is so difficult to able to do that in Live... ? i never got it... ! since i use Live...

this is for example something that makes me so angry and aggressive about Live lately... instead of implementing those features that are so vital for Live performance and an ultra quick workflow and access to browser items and the groups... they tinker around with useless DAW shit.

Live is about being easy and quick, quick, quick ultra quick and stable... and as mouse less as possible, at least in my books. and seems to disappear...
*** Image GAFM ***

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:37 am

SubFunk wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:OSX users can override all menu commands.

again it is a workaround and requires a key combination :cry: !!!

i want to be able to hit command+k or command+m and change it anytime on the fly to a SINGLE key or midi button... like dozens and dozens of other Live mappable commands... period.
Yeah. Don't we all. But soon we'll have control to all features over MIDI, Keys, OSC, HID, UDP, TCP, etc..
I understand M4L might not be your thing, but even the unofficial API might allow this stuff.
There will be 3 alternatives to not having it into Live. The only alternative left is Ableton implementing it and I agree. I'm sure there is a feature request out there in my name suggesting the Mapping browser is ideal for shortcuts. Still, I can't deny that I'm running out of requests when counting what I could do myself in M4L.

And this osx keyboard trick works with single keys too. As long as they don't conflict.
For example, you could use any function key. You could also use the numpad, but you wouldn't be able to enter numbers in Live then.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:49 am

Yeah. Don't we all
i don't see enough people giving ableton shit about it... it can't be that hard to implement, can it?

that would be not even worth an mentioned update, it should be just there, naturally.
*** Image GAFM ***

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:28 pm

SubFunk wrote:
Yeah. Don't we all
i don't see enough people giving ableton shit about it... it can't be that hard to implement, can it?

that would be not even worth an mentioned update, it should be just there, naturally.
Yeah. Cause we all know Live's code is super simple 8O

Lots of things should appear naturally. Follow actions for sessions slots ranking high on my list of features that should just be there. And hey, I wouldn't mind recording the odd automation in a session clip.
I gave Ableton shit for years with this whole automapping stuff. In the end it was all wasted energy and at the same time they're giving me exactly what I wanted with M4L.
I mean, you can spend all your time getting pissed about the little things that aren't there. Being assured its childsplay to implement. But isn't this request just one of literally hundreds of little things that should just naturally be there?

Anyway. I'm not arguing that this couldn't be implemented within a day. Maybe a month. But you just don't know. For all we know, they're working on an entire overhaul. The serato thing is still coming up, that might be anything from a native serato device to controlling a Live session like a piece of vinyl. With special warping madness. Like it or not, you'll see a lot of your feature requests naturally pop up in the wild in the form of Max patches.

To be honest, I don't even know why or what I'm arguing. I hate mondays. I think that is my point.
You got legitimate beef with Ableton for not having what you want. I'm learning that I'm running out of requests and will soon be able to make Live what I wanted it to be since I discovered Live 3.
Just take a look in the feature request list and beta forums. I've seen 80% of my wishes come true over the last 5 years. And believe me, I had a lot of wishes.

<hippie> Its all going to work out man.</hippie> Got bugs? Haunt Dom. Got wishes? Have patience. Additionally, haunt Amaury with wishes. Works for me.
And dude, you're in Germany. You can literally go bribe them with beers or fancy coffee. You can walk into Ableton with your computer and show your issues and get them properly reported. (don't forget the camera :) )
If anybody is in a perfect position to give Ableton shit, I'd say you'd rank high up the list.
Real-time bug reports. I'm sure they'll get a kick out of that.