Running time display possible for Session View?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jtenney

Running time display possible for Session View?

Post by jtenney » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:12 am

I think probably not, but maybe I've missed something. (That happens often enough, duhhh, like not turning on the Audio Units preference that colin_h helped me with.)

The pieces I do are often not beat-oriented. Atmospheric, lots of sfx and little one-shot bits. I'd love to have a running minutes-and-seconds display. Is there one for Live? If not, is there some little third-party doohickey that will float on the screen and sync up to starting a Session?

The best thing might be to have bars toggle with minutes/seconds in the bar across the top.

Any help is appreciated. Or you can just set me straight: "Dewd, what the *?<>* do you expect out of this program??" :wink:

later,
John
www.soundclick.com/johntenney

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:36 am

Dewd, what the *?<>* do you expect out of this program, get a stop watch ;)

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:42 am

Yeah, that's probably right, and the best solution. I guess I got spoiled with applications like Peak, which has time in huge numbers right in front of you... oh well...

iMac G5, Reason 3.0, Live 5, Peak 5.01 LE, mp3 Trimmer, Finale 2006, various VSTs, Yamaha PSR 170 keyboard (cheap midi controller), Evolution UC33e (not so cheap midi controller)

dominique

Post by dominique » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:48 am

jtenney wrote:Yeah, that's probably right, and the best solution. I guess I got spoiled with applications like Peak, which has time in huge numbers right in front of you... oh well...
John,

actually I'm with you on this one. I'd love to see a big time display and also a big output meter. I always thought the left panel where we browse for plug-ins and files could have another section that works like a big master section.

Cheers,

d.
Toshiba Satellite Notebook, P M 1.6GHz , 1GB, WindowsXP SP2, Echo Indigo I/O, RME Multiface, RME RPM, Midisport 2x2, Faderfox LV1
---

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:54 am

hehe, i was joking ;)

Thats actually a good idea. It would be awesome if you could change the display to a big bar/beat position display that you can set to repeat at whatever length you want. For example a counter that goes up to 1 bar or up 8 bars and resets. Sometimes you just get too busy to keep count in your head while tweaking stuff everywhere. Its nice to glance and see what position your at (as oposed to squinting/looking at the stupidly small text and circles thingies on each track).

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:59 am

well, since you're on OSX you could get Konfabulator (i.e. the original dashboard that Apple stole for Tiger) and use a timer widget. and yes they are called widgets.

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:18 am

Thanks once again, AdamJay, for the tip about Konfabulator. I think this may be the ticket. I knew this stuff was coming with Tiger, didn't know I could access it now. Pretty cool...

later,
John

jtenney

Post by jtenney » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:11 pm

Well, I got into Konfabulator, and found a nice, plain, minimal-graphic no-bullshit stopwatch/timer, loaded it and stuck it right where I could kick it off as I triggered the first scene (it can be configured semi-transparent so you can see stuff under it). Everything worked fine, but on a hunch (with more dropouts than normal trying to run a Session) I read my Activity Monitor, and the little timer was using MORE THAN 20% OF MY CPU. About as much as all my reverb and eq put together. Guess I'll have to keep an eye on it, and maybe do like Komplex suggested and get a stop watch. I wonder if the Konfabulator widget concept is gonna be more efficient when it's incorporated into Tiger, the Mac OS 10.4.

later,
John

Delinquent Dialect

Re: Running time display possible for Session View?

Post by Delinquent Dialect » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:35 pm

+++++++++++ 1

I also posted about this

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?p=533895

I cant believe this hasnt been implemented yet! :evil:

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sun Aug 14, 2011 2:43 pm

EnjoyRC

Post by EnjoyRC » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:49 pm

What about for Mac?
I know that the Ableton Session View knows the running time. Because if I have a Mackie Universal Controller connected, it can show either the running time (Minutes/Seconds) or Measures/Beats.
MacBook Pro (MacOS 13.0.1) i9 Processor, 32gb RAM, 4tb SSD
(STUDIO I/O) MOTU UltraLite mk5 (w/ADA8200), (LIVE I/O) Behringer X Air XR18
Ableton Live Suite 11 (Live performances), Studio One 5 (Studio Stem Creation)

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:07 pm

Wow. 14 year old post. I think this is the years award for the most ancient thread bump.

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:18 pm

And yet the answer is still to get a stop watch.... hahahahahah

Cheers
D