Guitar Synth & Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
charvel-floyd

Guitar Synth & Ableton

Post by charvel-floyd » Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:09 am

I'm a simple songwriter looking to trigger Ableton (MIDI) instruments with a guitar synth. I'm thinking that the Roland GR20 is my best bet. Is anyone doing this? If so, is it difficult to setup? Thanks.

I'm open to any other (easy) solutions.

Thanks.

mooncaine

Re: Guitar Synth & Ableton

Post by mooncaine » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:58 am

I recommend you join the midiguitar@yahoo group, where there are helpful, very experienced MIDI guitarists of all kinds.

You've got a few choices. Roland and Axon have both made small MIDI converters that don't have their own sounds -- they are just Guitar-to-MIDI interfaces that plug into your computer via USB. That might be all you want.

If you want to hear synth sounds without hooking up to a computer, though, then the Roland GR20 would be a good choice. It's simple.

When I decided to return to MIDI guitar around 2004, I joined that group, asked a few questions, and found that, for me, a Roland GR-33 was a good choice. It gives a bit more sound-editing options, and I like to design sounds. It also has a few other features that I thought I'd like. I really only needed Guitar-to-MIDI output to connect to my computer, but, I know myself well enough to realize I'd enjoy tweaking the sounds even if I never used the box on a gig. It does the computer hookup, plus it's fun to play with on its own.

I'm glad I asked around, in that midiguitar group, and I've been a member ever since. Good folks there.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:51 am

mmmm i want. phat basslines from my axe...

peterson makes this little stompbox you plug your guitar into and it send monophonic midi.

have fun, cuz it's pretty expensive to get all set up, no?
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:05 am

hmm...ableton live.. midi guitar..
cue Tonedeft in 5..4...3..2...1...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

LiquidFix

Post by LiquidFix » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:24 pm

it's not that bad. I use a gr-20, but you spend a lot of time editing out artifacts. It'll also take a while to get the pickup set up just right and find what works for you in the gr 20, but it's not rocket science.
Live 8 Sweet, APC40, GR-20, livecontrol, PCR-300, Torq Xponent, Parker NiteFly, Logic, other assorted fun Softies plus quasi penchant for Mumbo Sauce and ability to get yuppies furiously heated within minutes.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:38 pm

Homebelly wrote:hmm...ableton live.. midi guitar..
cue Tonedeft in 5..4...3..2...1...
HA! was in San Diego for a long weekend, so chill down there...

in the spirit of 'buy what I have the rest sucks' get the Axon. try the Roland and the Axon, you'll find the Roland has significant latency on the low E string, the Axon doesn't. I found the Roland pretty much unplayable.

agreed, find a midi guitar forum, this one sucks. :P

it'd be cool if you could post what you find, I haven't shopped for them since I bought mine years ago.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:20 pm

Cool, didn't know about the Axon USB device. Still quite expensive though, only 100 E less than the full-on setup.