Just installing Logic 9....

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
projoosa

Just installing Logic 9....

Post by projoosa » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:33 pm

... I think 10 might be released by the time it finished !! :/

Are you many of you using Live and Logic together ? I was going to get some good reverb and eq plugs but figured for the money I'd buy Logic and mix with it after fleshing ideas out in Live.

cheers,
Marc

mholloway

Re: Just installing Logic 9....

Post by mholloway » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:53 pm

I've got Logic 8 on my mac and you know, I always *thought* I'd find some great way to use Live and Logic together, but the reality is that the workflow issues just make the whole process more cumbersome than useful. I almost never load logic these days. It's a fine program.....but I just use Live. If you run Live as slave to logic, you can't run any 3rd party plugins in live, which renders it useless to me.

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

weeddigger

Post by weeddigger » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:05 pm

+1 for the install of Logic taking forever.

+1 for Logic and Live being a cumbersome pain in the ass to use together.

By the way, I mainly use Logic; I don't use Live, I just bought it so I didn't feel bad about being on these forums all day...

:lol:
If you can imagine it, it can happen...

jer_mcclain

Post by jer_mcclain » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:13 pm

+1 for being a forum whore;)

i also have logic and i also thought that composing in Live and mixing in Logic would be perfect. however, i also can't manage the workflow. its a shame really, some of the plugins in Logic are great!
MacBook Pro - Live Suite - Mira - APC40 - Apogee Duet - Grado SR325i

Nicknackerski

Post by Nicknackerski » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi
I have Logic 9 and think it is AWESOME!!!
I also think the two complement each other very well

Live is Excellent for building new music, Jamming, composing sections of a song etc and then pretty average for Mixing.

Logic is clumbersome for all of the above but once i have what i condsider the bare bones of a good track in live (Verse, chorus Hook Breakdown) i move over to logic and arrange, mix, master.

This way it stops me jamming for EVER and eventually getting sick of a tune.

in my humble opinion Live is a (great) musicians tool and logic is a (great) producers tool :twisted:

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:21 pm

I use both. Nothing beats Live for the creation process for me. I do flesh out ideas and an arrangement in Live.

On that note though I do like Logic's better when it comes to mixing and final completion of a track.

For me the best way to work together with them is to flesh out the idea in Live. I then export all tracks, drag into Logic, add any finishing tracks to complete the song and mix away. Just remember to note the bpm in Live so you can set it in Logic when you bring in the tracks.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 am

Nicknackerski wrote:Hi
I have Logic 9 and think it is AWESOME!!!
I also think the two complement each other very well

Live is Excellent for building new music, Jamming, composing sections of a song etc and then pretty average for Mixing.

Logic is clumbersome for all of the above but once i have what i condsider the bare bones of a good track in live (Verse, chorus Hook Breakdown) i move over to logic and arrange, mix, master.

This way it stops me jamming for EVER and eventually getting sick of a tune.

in my humble opinion Live is a (great) musicians tool and logic is a (great) producers tool :twisted:
I also bought Logic 9 and have been rewiring it with Live. The CPU increase I get from using Logic far outweighs the inability to use 3rd party plugs in Live while rewired. So I've been using Live as a glorified sampler for my past few remixes, and Logic for the brunt of things. I'm still coming up with my ideal workflow though :)

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:28 am

timothyallan wrote:
I also bought Logic 9 and have been rewiring it with Live. The CPU increase I get from using Logic far outweighs the inability to use 3rd party plugs in Live while rewired. So I've been using Live as a glorified sampler for my past few remixes, and Logic for the brunt of things. I'm still coming up with my ideal workflow though :)
I posted my own topic asking about this, but got no love. :(
If your running a Mac and it is an intel multi-core CPU, when you have Live rewired into Logic, how does OSX allocate both applications across the multi-cores?
My only experience with re-wire was running reason into ProToolsLE on a G4 with two 1.2G4 Cpu's.
It used to be that Reason got one cpu and PT got the other.

Cheers if you can help...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:28 am

Just compose and arrange in Live using what you need from Live, then export the audio and import it into your second DAW where you can then use the 2nd DAWs killer synths and plugins to flesh it out and then do the mix.

This is what I do, except I use Cubase 5 instead of Logic for this purpose. If you come up with any subsequent ideas needing Live, you can open them up in Rewire mode just for that.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:42 am

Homebelly wrote:
timothyallan wrote:
If your running a Mac and it is an intel multi-core CPU, when you have Live rewired into Logic, how does OSX allocate both applications across the multi-cores?
My only experience with re-wire was running reason into ProToolsLE on a G4 with two 1.2G4 Cpu's.

It seems to switch dynamically, especially now with Logic 9 and its multicore cpu awesomeness tweaks.

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:48 am

timothyallan wrote:
Homebelly wrote:
timothyallan wrote:

It seems to switch dynamically, especially now with Logic 9 and its multicore cpu awesomeness tweaks.
Cheers...
I'm thinking of x-mass and birthday presenting my self a dual quad core mac....
Hmmmmmm?????? :? :?
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.

mnmlmike

Post by mnmlmike » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:57 am

I might be saying some blasphemy here but I think Lives Session view is amazing
but I think Lives arrange view compared to Logics is far inferior. But I mean Logic is about 10 years
old than Live or so.

I think the best way is as everyone said to compose in Live (which I do in the session view)
make use the "render all tracks" feature and pop all the assets into Logic. Then I arrange
and mix in Logic.

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:25 am

mnmlmike wrote:I might be saying some blasphemy here but I think Lives Session view is amazing
but I think Lives arrange view compared to Logics is far inferior. But I mean Logic is about 10 years
old than Live or so.

I think the best way is as everyone said to compose in Live (which I do in the session view)
make use the "render all tracks" feature and pop all the assets into Logic. Then I arrange
and mix in Logic.
err, how does Live go about "rendering all tracks" from the session view? seems to me it wouldn't know for how long anything was supposed to loop/play.....you have a bunch of scenes without any linear order, then you hit render all, so what shows up on your HD? please explain...this could be useful to me. I have no interest in building anything with live's arrangement page and then just doing it all over again in logic's arrangement page. but if I could easily export files from session view, that's a different story........

lemme know

-M
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:13 am

mholloway wrote:
mnmlmike wrote:I might be saying some blasphemy here but I think Lives Session view is amazing
old than Live or so.

and mix in Logic.
err, how does Live go about "rendering all tracks" from the session view? seems to me it wouldn't know for how long anything was supposed to loop/play.....you have a bunch of scenes without any linear order, then you hit render all, so what shows up on your HD? please explain...this could be useful to me. I have no interest in building anything with live's arrangement page and then just doing it all over again in logic's arrangement page. but if I could easily export files from session view, that's a different story........

lemme know

-M
I'm not sure you can straight from session view, but i have done some thing along these lines after building a whole bunch of loops on one scene, then highlight all the clips, click and hold, hit tab, let go so all the clips are copied into the arrange, then hit export all as separate files (or what ever the correct terminology is)...

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:18 pm

mholloway wrote:
old than Live or so.

and mix in Logic.

lemme know

-M
if you choose render while in session you get a "bars:beats.." field and whatever is heard for that duration is rendered