Sorry, Really noob question regarding DJing with Live.

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
wasabi805

Sorry, Really noob question regarding DJing with Live.

Post by wasabi805 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:02 am

Hello everyone.

I have an Axiom 61 controller that I'm trying to use to DJ a house set on live. Can anyone point me in the right direction so that i can figure out how to change the assignments of the rotary knobs from panning so that i can use them instead with EQ Three to control the lows, mids and highs for each channel? Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks

kabuki

Re: Sorry, Really noob question regarding DJing with Live.

Post by kabuki » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:25 am

the manual will have the answer you seek.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:28 am

kabuki wrote:the manual will have the answer you seek.
weak... tsk tsk...

so they control pans because you automapped it by setting it up as Control Surface?

just assign them with ctrl-m etc and that will override the automap controls.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:33 am

click the button in the upper right corner that says "midi". that puts you in midi map mode. then select the eq 3 knob for the low, and turn the rotary knob on the axiom you want to control the low with. do that for each eq setting. are you only using 2 channels? that will work for 2 channels. if you are using more, you'll have to use a different bank on the axiom... if it's capable of that!?!

wasabi805

Post by wasabi805 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:10 am

thanks guys.. i really appreciate the help. i realized that i had to re-click the midi icon so that everything wasn't purple in order for the change in knob assignments to occur.

wasabi805

Post by wasabi805 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:23 am

McQ714 wrote:click the button in the upper right corner that says "midi". that puts you in midi map mode. then select the eq 3 knob for the low, and turn the rotary knob on the axiom you want to control the low with. do that for each eq setting. are you only using 2 channels? that will work for 2 channels. if you are using more, you'll have to use a different bank on the axiom... if it's capable of that!?!
Well, it's an hour mix, and i've got about 26 tracks. What i did is after the first 8 tracks passed, i went back to the first slider and reassigned and repeated the process with all the tracks while they were playing . Same goes for all the EQ's.

Kinda ghetto, i know. I might has well have just recorded on decks but, i wanted to try and make a set on Live because I figured it'd be the most helpful way to have a better understanding of the basic functions of the program. From what I've learned today and what you helped me out on, i think it'll really help in cleaning up the mash up and blend's ive made in the past.

I hope you guys don't mind but my other question would then be if anyone has a link or reference that would help me to learn how to set up different banks in the axiom.

thanks again

trevorc

Post by trevorc » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:15 am

wasabi805 wrote: Well, it's an hour mix, and i've got about 26 tracks. What i did is after the first 8 tracks passed, i went back to the first slider and reassigned and repeated the process with all the tracks while they were playing . Same goes for all the EQ's.

Kinda ghetto, i know. I might has well have just recorded on decks but, i wanted to try and make a set on Live because I figured it'd be the most helpful way to have a better understanding of the basic functions of the program. From what I've learned today and what you helped me out on, i think it'll really help in cleaning up the mash up and blend's ive made in the past.

I hope you guys don't mind but my other question would then be if anyone has a link or reference that would help me to learn how to set up different banks in the axiom.

thanks again
there's a downloadable lesson on the axioms on the abes site - it's a bit clearer than the axiom manual and more focussed on live - scroll down the page a bit:

http://www.ableton.com/livepacks

not sure if you were mixing in arrangement or session view there, but rather than reassigning midi controls to new channels during the mix you could just assign the axiom controls for 2 or 4 channels say, then move new tracks in and out of the channels you've already set up, for a bit less fiddling 8)

cacti

Post by cacti » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:01 pm

just run it through a send and return so you only need three knobs or so