is there anyway to assign aftertouch to parameters in live?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Superchibisan

is there anyway to assign aftertouch to parameters in live?

Post by Superchibisan » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:11 pm

i want to assign aftertouch on my edirol to parameters in ableton, such asss saturator's drive level. or redux's soft ratio... you know, stuff!

how do i do it? i don't know how except as to trigger a key and then initiate aftertouch, but that will assign it to the key will it not?

arafel

Re: is there anyway to assign aftertouch to parameters in live?

Post by arafel » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:22 am

That would be awesome to know as well...

My Remote25 can send Aftertouch messages ... Live records them as Channel Pressure (just under Pitch Bend)..

But very few instruments respond to this Aftertouch.
Sorta a waste really.

The Aftertouch / Channel Pressure data seems independant of the Notes (Keys), just like any other envelope-- but how to assign that envelope to control a parameter (like Redux, etc) I cannot fathom. Other CC control messages I have no problemo with..

Sry.. no points here :(
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:28 am

You might be able to hit the key, get it into aftertouch and then CTRL-Z it and see if it works. I know that's how you have to mess with the Trigger Finger sometimes to get it to register the Note as the mapping rather than the CC..

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:38 am

well if fm8 responds to it as a vst inside ableton, i know ableton recognizes it. maybe i can use bomes or something...

Superchibisan

Post by Superchibisan » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:59 am

omg, no one knows this? i may be a moron, but i know there is someone out there that isn't.

Limeforadime

Post by Limeforadime » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:29 am

Ah let me see if I can help. I have an M-audio Axiom 49 with aftertouch on its keys, and yes aftertouch can be used to control parameters in live. One thing that seems to work is to hold down the key you are going to use to activate a parameter with aftertouch *before* clicking the midi assign button, and *then* click the "midi" button at the top of the screen, click your parameter, and then press the held key harder to activate the aftertouch, and it should save that Midi cc to the parameter instead of the key name. You may have to reassign the midi cc of your aftertouch ("channel pressure" more correctly) in your controller to something else, such as modulation to get it to be read by ableton. My midi cc for aftertouch on my keyboard was 131 by default, which was not picked up by ableton as a parameter controllable cc channel. I reassigned my aftertouch's midi cc to "1", the same channel used by the mod wheel. And then it worked with ableton's parameters as if it was a slider, varying the pressure of the aftertouch. You'll have to consult your controller manual if you don't know how to assign midi cc's to your controller's controls. Hope that helps some bit!