Max for Live - Any news?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Martyn

Max for Live - Any news?

Post by Martyn » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:18 pm

I think I might actually take the plunge and get it when it comes out, I'm not a Max user and generally shy away from anything code related as I'm a bit of a dimwit at that sort of thing, but after listening to Fennesz lately I'm wondering whether it might offer some uniqueness and a bit of thinking outside the box that simply using a stock sequencer doesn't give me. Even if it's just using patches that other people have created and hacking on them a bit.

Has anybody heard any news on the subject? For all the announcing that happened at the release of Live 8 we've seen very little progress of this. I'm actually quite interested in getting my hands on it now.

When the site went down yesterday I kind of expected something to change, but still no mention.

C'mon Abes, throw us a bone, what's up with MFL, do we have an ETA yet?

Seppe

Re: Max for Live - Any news?

Post by Seppe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:00 am

+1

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:41 am

i mean it looks all well and good, but whenever there is a tutorial video they just end up making devices that we already have or can download for free in vst form, like a pitch shifter or something. Its not very inspiring. I want to see something that makes me go HOLY SHIT i hadn't thought of that. I'm more interested in making music than making my own version of something that has been done to death.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51 am

Emissary wrote:something that makes me go HOLY SHIT..
this maybe?
http://www.cycling74.com/story/2009/7/14/1835/98517

leonard

Post by leonard » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:57 am

no shit i never saw them videos before.

thats secxy
???

blank

Post by blank » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:58 am

HOLY SHIT i hadn't thought of that
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:02 pm

Thanks for the lnk, interesting.

I'd still love to hear an update as to how things are coming along behind the scenes tho.

slow riot

Post by slow riot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:35 pm

I'm getting itchy for this too.

As well as obvious functional reasons I think it will make playing with Max into a more collaborative experience like Reaktor. atm the max community isn't full to the brim with example patches (though actually this is kind of a good thing.. it's good to work on your own, and Max is very well equipped to allow personal growth within the prgogram.. help files etc etc).

RE: Emissary. I think you have missed the point really with Max. It's about being able to develop personal systems that work for you and being able to work with them in extremely unique and low level ways. And also to find new methods in composition and stuff from developing these extremely personalised systems. If you're looking for wow factor there are plenty of interesting vsts around. I dunno, maybe you can lurk and download ineresting patches that other people have made in maxforlive, but for me I'd like to dig deeper.

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:03 pm

slow riot wrote: RE: Emissary. I think you have missed the point really with Max. It's about being able to develop personal systems that work for you and being able to work with them in extremely unique and low level ways. And also to find new methods in composition and stuff from developing these extremely personalised systems. If you're looking for wow factor there are plenty of interesting vsts around. I dunno, maybe you can lurk and download ineresting patches that other people have made in maxforlive, but for me I'd like to dig deeper.
+1
that point that hes missing is EXACTLY the point of M4L. which is why im looking forward to getting my paws on it.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:31 pm

HOLY SHIT, is this some sort of gambling application, with racetrack bets and slot machines?

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:49 pm

ethios4 wrote:Image
HOLY SHIT, is this some sort of gambling application, with racetrack bets and slot machines?
There used to be a time when music was about playing an instrument or coming up with a catchy tune. This looks like bullshit.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:53 pm

agreed.

dom

Post by dom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:02 pm

ableton support team
support@ableton.com

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:04 pm

beats me wrote:
ethios4 wrote:Image
There used to be a time when music was about playing an instrument or coming up with a catchy tune. This looks like bullshit.
:lol:

You'll take that back once I built Mozart 2.0!

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:38 pm

Want to connect a hardware device to Live that doesn't use MIDI?
You had me at "hello".