Dear Abes: any official word regarding OS X Snow Leopard?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dom

Re: Dear Abes: any official word regarding OS X Snow Leopard?

Post by dom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:55 pm

sub&tarekith: maybe they changed something regarding the fans. i remember in g4 times apple ramped up the fan speeds after thermal problems of the g4 notebooks and my 12" nearly started to hover over the desk some day. anyone using smc fan control and noticed a difference in the minimum fan speed?
sub: checked the activity monitor? maybe it is still indexing your big badass harddrive? i'm not sure as i guess you already used 10.5.8 for hours and hours already.

3phase: just as i wrote, the 10.6 tests are not finished yet, but the answer to 1) in your first posting is no.
regarding your second post: you need at least 10.5.7 because of the gfx performance issues and the updated apple drivers in 10.5.7 - but i don't see a fundamental reason to update from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 at the moment (just regarding Live, that is).

cheers,
dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:01 pm

is your live 8 crashing?

of cause os.10.5.8 is fine... its an official apple release...

it works fine any day wirth every software... but since os 10.5.7 live 8 is crashing... ..ok..before there was no live 8
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

cids

Post by cids » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Not with my setup, 10.5.8 works fine with Live 8...
Mac Studio M2 Max and MacBook Pro M1

Genelec M030; Live 11.3.x and Live 12; macOS Sonoma & macOS Sequoia

UAD Apollo Twin

Ableton Push 2

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Dom, it seems that changes may be needed to Live 8 to make it work with SL. Will changes be made, if needed, to Live 7 or is it only 8 that will ever be compatible with SL?

dom

Post by dom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:44 pm

3phase wrote:is your live 8 crashing?
only if i want it to.
therefore not in my free time.
i started to do tracks again now after the release stress since 8.0.3/8.0.4 and for me personally it is the trusty old workhorse it used to be again.
and it rocks, including some features i was personally looking forward to since Live 4 included midi.

stability in my case results from

a) Live itself being pretty stable
b) me limiting my plugin needs to the handful of plugs i love and trust after using them for ages and knowing their developers personally
c) i don't let bugs bother me until someone else gets so annoyed that he reports them but report them myself right away
d) believe me or not, karma is a strange thing and i try to take care of mine... does not only help with Live.

3phase wrote: of cause os.10.5.8 is fine... its an official apple release...

it works fine any day wirth every software... but since os 10.5.7 live 8 is crashing... ..ok..before there was no live 8
I don't get your point, but the "it's an official apple release" is the only statement in there that is 100% waterproof and correct.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

dom

Post by dom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:47 pm

dazzer: I'm afraid we have to wait for the test results in order to give an answer to that.
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:50 pm

SubFunk wrote:
dom wrote:
SubFunk wrote:thanks for the info, jeez i so can't wait to get onto snow leopard... it sounds like a dream... once it's all working.
nah, hold your horses. 10.5 was already released 2007 and you upgraded just weeks ago... give 10.6 some time and slap some more EPs out after all your 10.4 performance problems, you seem to be in the zone right now, use it!
my biggest hope for 10.6 is actually that the crappy finder finally got some serious attention, as they claim so.
if you ask me personally this is the biggest single drawback in osx since it exists.

cheers,
dom
yeah, but i was stupid and for some strange reasons, guess my small brain had a failure, i went from 10.5.7 which was very good to 10.5.8 (usually i stick to don't change a running system) and since i have massive fan and heat problems, he is not ever under 60-65 degrees and the fan runs permanently over at least 4000rpm... hmmphhh...
i tried anything i could find to resolve, without luck... unless someone knows a cure, please chime in...

guess this is one of the reasons i want to move away from 10.5.8....
i had the same problem with an update i did a while back on a macbook, (fans stayed on way too much) cant remember what update it was, but anyway i reset my power settings or some crap like that by taking out the battery and holding the power button down for a set amount of time (i cant remember)

Anyway google about with regards to that info, its on apples website somewhere too.

edit: I'm so ace that i went and found it for you

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1411

hope that might help.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:02 pm

Tarekith wrote:Funny, I've noticed my 3 year old MPB fans coming on more easily too lately, though not what i would consider excessive. Hmmm...
Maybe it's dusty inside?
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:11 pm

claiming that 10.5.8 is waterprooved was a joke...

has anybody realized the update cycle of apple? they went from 10.5.7 to 10.5.8 in a mater of weeks/month...

What does this tell us? 10.5.7 had problems? probably... the master developers probably are working on SL...the second line is supporting the old system...

So is 10.5.8 really fine now? at least for me Live 8 hasent stop crashing..and the apps that went offline with 10.5.7 are still not working...

So again the question..shall we trust the dom...or leave 10.5 as soon as posible?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:50 pm

i had the same problem with an update i did a while back on a macbook, (fans stayed on way too much) cant remember what update it was, but anyway i reset my power settings or some crap like that by taking out the battery and holding the power button down for a set amount of time (i cant remember)
i did that already, no change.

also the activity monitor is showing nothing unusual.
*** Image GAFM ***

concrete_cow

Post by concrete_cow » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:40 pm

Dom,

Do you know if the compatible SL release of live8 will implement OpenCL API and take advantage of Grand Central?

Thanks,
Sunil

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Dom: Thanks so much for giving the official word on compatibility!

But how about my other three questions? Taking advantage of the more complete 64 bit support, of GCD and Open CL? I realise you can't comment on any plans for upcoming major releases, but what about, say, utilising more RAM for Live in like L8.xx? Or allowing 3d party AU or VST plugs to take advantage of Open CL (maybe that's altogether an issue for the AU and VST standards to handle and outside the scope of Live, but that would be interesting to know too).

dom

Post by dom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:08 pm

silrak:

In general the next release is only aiming at 10.6 compatibility, it's not about new features.

Besides that, there will be a Live 64bit version someday, but there's no date announced yet.
This has nothing to do with the 10.6 release.

OpenCL an interesting topic, but not a switch you just turn on and a bit too early for statements at all.
You can't just throw a vst at it and shout "c'mon gfx card, crunch!"
It's a complete developing platform that let's you develop code in its own language that runs on CPUs as well as on GPUs.
It also seems to be the first hardware independent approach as there were already hardware dependent APIs available from ATI and NVidia - but there's not much stuff to see yet in general: OpenCL 1.0 itself was just released in december, it is now included in os10.6 and you have to develop new stuff with it or check how to port your existing things. Means a lot of time and sweat - while atm it only runs on Intelmacs with 10.6 with a few supported gfx cards and Microsoft doing their own thing with DirectX.

GCD on the other hand is a bundle of programming tools and functions in MacOS that helps you developing multicore functionality for your application more easily now, but all existing multicore DAWs already solved that the hard way - so also no news here. Maybe there are new tricks available now, eg. for optimizing threading between different applications as with GCD the OS handles a lot of the threading - but maybe it is not useable for us at all because threading in a realtime application with all the time dependencies is hardcore voodoo.
At least to me, this will be something for our engine welding coding wizards.

We will try to come up with a sticky tomorrow that answers the most common questions regarding the 10.6 release as it seems to generate a lot of interest and traffic.

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

slirak

Post by slirak » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 pm

dom wrote:silrak:

In general the next release is only aiming at 10.6 compatibility, it's not about new features.

Besides that, there will be a Live 64bit version someday, but there's no date announced yet.
This has nothing to do with the 10.6 release.

OpenCL an interesting topic, but not a switch you just turn on and a bit too early for statements at all.
You can't just throw a vst at it and shout "c'mon gfx card, crunch!"
It's a complete developing platform that let's you develop code in its own language that runs on CPUs as well as on GPUs.
It also seems to be the first hardware independent approach as there were already hardware dependent APIs available from ATI and NVidia - but there's not much stuff to see yet in general: OpenCL 1.0 itself was just released in december, it is now included in os10.6 and you have to develop new stuff with it or check how to port your existing things. Means a lot of time and sweat - while atm it only runs on Intelmacs with 10.6 with a few supported gfx cards and Microsoft doing their own thing with DirectX.

GCD on the other hand is a bundle of programming tools and functions in MacOS that helps you developing multicore functionality for your application more easily now, but all existing multicore DAWs already solved that the hard way - so also no news here. Maybe there are new tricks available now, eg. for optimizing threading between different applications as with GCD the OS handles a lot of the threading - but maybe it is not useable for us at all because threading in a realtime application with all the time dependencies is hardcore voodoo.
At least to me, this will be something for our engine welding coding wizards.

We will try to come up with a sticky tomorrow that answers the most common questions regarding the 10.6 release as it seems to generate a lot of interest and traffic.

Cheers,
Dom
Brilliant info, thanks a bunch!

theque

Post by theque » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:07 am

my biggest hope for 10.6 is actually that the crappy finder finally got some serious attention, as they claim so.
if you ask me personally this is the biggest single drawback in osx since it exists.

cheers,
dom[/quote]

hmmmm, i think the finder in ableton is a bit crappy too