it's official, next year I don't upgrade till it's stable

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

will you upgrade again knowing you'll be buying a buggy product?

nope
60%
yeah that sounds like fun
40%

Total votes: 98

djsynchro

Re: it's official, next year I don't upgrade till it's stable

Post by djsynchro » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:21 pm

Word to using the beta's the latest beta is the best because instead of whining on the forum that I don't know how to use a computer I've been sending crashlogs and emails to Ableton and I do the same with Novation for Automap, in both cases it helped them hunt down a bug they couldn't reproduce in-house which caused a crash and in both cases it got solved. UAD problem with mono instances in Ableton Live got solved (turned out to be an UAD bug, by me writing (and again and again) to both companies.

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:53 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
sporkles wrote: a) do you download the latest beta and try to reproduce the crash?
although I realize I should probably be more proactive in finding solutions I'm completely burned out on beta testing. I'll leave that to other people who have time to use the beta's and report bugs continuously. the process makes me feel a bit like a test rat.
thing is, even though it's called a 'beta' and it expires, it's still a bug fix update - i.e. usually it's more stable because a lot of bugs have been fixed, and it also has in built bug reporting so that if you do get a crash then next time you boot up it creates a live pack for you and all you have to do is send it to Ableton, meaning there is a much higher chance it will be fixed in the NEAR future

I almost always use the latest bug fix beta and usually it's much more reliable

drako

Post by drako » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:21 pm

The last beta rocks here.

OvertoneZero

Post by OvertoneZero » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:17 am

I'm sure there was some financial pressure on the development cycle. Reality is not ideal.

Still my favorite software, but I'm a patient amateur studio geek..

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:22 am

OvertoneZero wrote:I'm sure there was some financial pressure on the development cycle. Reality is not ideal.
AFAIK (since ver 3) this was the longest release time for Ableton ever. it was rushed? I don't think so.

/rant
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:26 am

Machinesworking wrote: Oddly enough you're talking about one of the few DAWs that does have second party plug ins, in the AAS embedded Suite plug ins. Other examples would be the MOTU plug ins, which are codeveloped using another companies sample engine etc. and the add on plug ins for Proppellerheads Record. For instance Operator is 'first' party, it's developed by Ableton, Collision is developed by AAS in partnership with Ableton, so it would be second party.

NI and Spectrasonics are defintily third party, no business ties to Ableton, just an interest in having thier plug ins work on the latest version, in OSX and Windows, on hundreds of different set ups with thousands of software driver, plugin combinations.
Honest to goodness man, I can't thank you enough. I know that seems over stated, but it's GOOD to shed ignorance and you helped me to do just that here.

I went and researched Applied Acoustics Systems and found out more about the true nature of Second party plugs. I really had not done my peripheral homework on their contributions. Very cool.

I will say this though, I have pushed and pushed and pushed both NI and Spectrasonics over the last two years and both are rock solid with Live 6 and 8 Suite. The only thing I can really state that I would love to see a Live facilitative improvement in someday, is the future development of a 64bit operating standard. It's such a selfish and eccentric desire however, that I certainly don't feel justified in whining about it. It would just be nice to have a HUGE RAM purse to draw from and put things in. Be able to run all 8 channels of Stylus in Groove mode or use a Groove mode approach to "sound menu" triggers.

But thanks again for my needed clarification of 2nd and 3rd party plugs.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:53 am

DrXparaMental wrote: I will say this though, I have pushed and pushed and pushed both NI and Spectrasonics over the last two years and both are rock solid with Live 6 and 8 Suite.
Yeah, I can get the non beta of Battery to f*ck up my system in a heartbeat, but I think that's more of a super fun combo of NI, Ableton, and Logitech having issues together. The new beta of Battery works just fine though. NI actually seem to have slowed down on development and are getting their products nice and stable, thanks to being able to sell lazy people Kore packs!
The only thing I can really state that I would love to see a Live facilitative improvement in someday, is the future development of a 64bit operating standard. It's such a selfish and eccentric desire however, that I certainly don't feel justified in whining about it. It would just be nice to have a HUGE RAM purse to draw from and put things in. Be able to run all 8 channels of Stylus in Groove mode or use a Groove mode approach to "sound menu" triggers.
Yeah, I actually wouldn't benefit much, I use a mac laptop with 4GB limit, and OSX can access 4GB in 32 bit. I'll probably stick to 32 bit far past the time the rest of you jump, hoping all the software is solid! It would be awesome as hell on a desktop though!
But thanks again for my needed clarification of 2nd and 3rd party plugs.
Hey thanks for not thinking I was trying to be snarky, I wasn't, just thought it was interesting you mentioned that, and in Live's case there really are second class plug in citizens as well as third! :lol:

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:33 am

I still feel that Live 8 is buggy. I occasionally get pops and clicks in 8 when switching clips in session view, something that isn't a problem in 7. For what it's worth, I will upgrade. I always keep the old version installed.

I will be happy when 8 is as stable as 7.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

GQ2009

Post by GQ2009 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:46 am

Thank god i read this thread. I was hours away from purchasing Live. But, I see all kinds of problems with Live 8.
Anyone suggest another DAW for around the same price?

R.A.W.

Post by R.A.W. » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:34 am

Tone Deft wrote:
OvertoneZero wrote:I'm sure there was some financial pressure on the development cycle. Reality is not ideal.
AFAIK (since ver 3) this was the longest release time for Ableton ever. it was rushed? I don't think so.

/rant
well, i think that is because afaik there were many if not all parts from the engine rewritten from scratch.. that takes longer than just expanding the code with new features. but for a rewrite it was quite fast.
GQ2009 wrote:Thank god i read this thread. I was hours away from purchasing Live. But, I see all kinds of problems with Live 8.
though i got issues, i still recommend live! i know from the forum and from first hand knowledge (my bandmate) that live 8 can work very stable (and i hope it will for me, too, when i try the beta on the weekend).
ThinkPad T500,Core 2 Duo T9600 (2x2,8GHz)/3GB RAM/Radeon HD3650/FireWire 410/WinXP SP3 32bit
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz/4GB RAM/GeForce GTX460/ESI U24 XL/Win7 x64
Ableton Live 8/energyXT2/APC40/MPKmini/LaunchPad/TriggerFinger
http://www.bitmud.com

Vibrations

Post by Vibrations » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:44 am

GQ2009 wrote:Thank god i read this thread. I was hours away from purchasing Live. But, I see all kinds of problems with Live 8.
I would suggest to try the demo. Maybe it works for you like for many others. Or wait for a bug free release.

gosinisha

Post by gosinisha » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 am

live7, 8.0.3, 8.0.4 stable here on toshiba notebook/vista64. no issues whatsoever.
thinkpadT520/win7.64/studioONE2/firefaceUC/akaiMPKmini/VSTinstruments/sampleCDs

Emerah

Post by Emerah » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:05 am

I wish I loved Live less, but I don't.

I definitely will not upgrade right away as I did with L8. may be around 9.06 I will think about it.

the Abes usually respond well and are keen to satisfy their customers. I don't know what happened to them with the release of L8. someone must have decided to release a beta and call it official release.

IMO, 8.05 should've been the official release.
it never ends. neither does it begin where you think it does. its only in your mind.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Emerah wrote:I don't know what happened to them with the release of L8. someone must have decided to release a beta and call it official release..
This happens every single year, I bought in at version 5 and it was terrible, then upgraded to 6 and it was terrible, then upgraded to 7 and it was terrible, then 8... I mean at this point you've gotta say I've given them a lot of chances and they still release buggy products every single year. I love Live, but will never again upgrade right after a release, it takes them consistently 6 months if not more to get each version rock solid.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

drako

Post by drako » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:56 pm

Have you guys checked Live 8.0.5b10?