OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
aqua_tek

OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:16 am

I just recently picked up cycling.

At first I bought a crappy old busted up mountain bike for a few bucks just to get the feel of it, and just in case I decided it just wasn't for me... but immediately I lovedededed it! It's fun! Albeit a little scary, since NYC drivers aren't exactly the best or most considerate. But I think it adds to the experience. A bit more adrenaline in the mix. I loved it so much, today, I bought another bike... this time, a roadbike. And I'm suffering some real lust for it. I almost don't want to take it out to ride.

:oops:

Share thoughts, share suggestions, tips, ideas, post pics of your own bikes... let's go for an e-ride.

PS: I'm selling the old busted up mountain bike. It just needs a little love. Probably a tune-up. Etc. etc. etc. Any NYC takers? Grab it for a few bucks, refurbish it, and turn it into an amazing machine. I still dig the paint job.

cbentley

Re: OT: Cycling ... as in... riding bikes... as in... bicycles

Post by cbentley » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:34 am

Did somebody say bikes? :D

I have several... a beat up old trials bike, a mountain bike, and a couple of freestyle bikes. Would love to have a decent road bike as well but preferred the more aggressive side of things. Enjoy your new ride!

Here's a few old photos from a former life...

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:53 am

Nice man, here's my rides:

Just got the road bike this year when my wife decided she didn't want to mtn bike anymore. Definitely different from bombing down trails, but still fun.
Tarekith
Ableton Forum Administrator
https://tarekith.com

Magik

Post by Magik » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:59 am

Thats a pretty bike :D

And very cool pictures as well.

Hopefully I will have enough money to payoff my new Cyclocross bike that I am picking up tomorrow(fingers crossed. If I get it I'll post a picture, its gonna so beautiful!!!

v76

Post by v76 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:18 am

Yea! Used to ride about 300km a week. Got sick, now not riding anymore. Still have the first bike, though! The second one got stolen last year. :(

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:29 am

Aqua, holla, let's go for a ride! A bike makes NYC feel tiny!!!

FYI, here's mine:

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:06 am

Last edited by Tone Deft on Thu May 26, 2011 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Magik

Post by Magik » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 am

Conzelman Road looks amazing. I would just love to ride down there one of these days. To bad its soooo far away :'(

exper

Post by exper » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:55 am

Here's my current ride:

2003 Jamis Dakar w/ tons of upgrades.

IF I can decide to spend the money or not, I'm thinking of getting a 29er hardtail soon for variation.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:07 pm

Riding in NYC is intoxicating. I love it, but lately I've been staying off my bike. I rode hybrids for years, and then two years ago I bought a mountian bike, just to mix things up. It was a bad move. I bought a used Specialized Hard Rock with city tires, and I cut the handle bars down.

The trouble is that the stupid thing constantly gets flat tires. After the 4th or 5th flat I just kind of gave up. I know I could bring it to a shop, or sell it and get a new bike, but I just haven't bothered. I'm really picky about frame size, so it takes me forever to find a bike that fits properly. I never had this flat tire problem with my cheap ass generic Japanese knock off bikes. Lesson learned.

A word of advice... it really pays to trade in your "cool" factor and to properly strap a helmet to your head. I would guess that at least 5 or 6 kids die every week riding bicycles in Brooklyn. Back when I was riding a lot I would have to force myself to put it on, and sometimes I would gamble and not wear it. It's all a part of the intoxication of danger + speed + freedom you feel while riding in the city. You just have to ask yourself how much you're willing to pay for the price of cool.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:38 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:A word of advice... it really pays to trade in your "cool" factor and to properly strap a helmet to your head. I would guess that at least 5 or 6 kids die every week riding bicycles in Brooklyn. Back when I was riding a lot I would have to force myself to put it on, and sometimes I would gamble and not wear it. It's all a part of the intoxication of danger + speed + freedom you feel while riding in the city. You just have to ask yourself how much you're willing to pay for the price of cool.
+1
Especially in the city where lots of the danger is completely outside your control due to drivers just not seeing cyclists.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:41 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:The trouble is that the stupid thing constantly gets flat tires. After the 4th or 5th flat I just kind of gave up. I know I could bring it to a shop, or sell it and get a new bike, but I just haven't bothered.
This is for 26" wheels, right? Otherwise, if you're on 700C, I can highly recommend Continental GP4000S tyres (tires :wink: ) - the single best upgrade I've made for any bike. Have had zero punctures over thousands of miles, including lots of city riding with broken glass... plus they're lightweight, grippy and stay grippy in the wet... I recommend them to everyone... :)

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 pm

aqua_tek wrote:Image

Share thoughts, share suggestions, tips, ideas, post pics of your own bikes... let's go for an e-ride.
Suggestion #1: put some bar tape on for winter... :)

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:57 pm

My first road bike. Recently sold as it was completely impractical, mostly completely the wrong size (expensive mistake you only need to learn once :wink: )... but loved it though... like a rocket up hills...

Edit: it's Vitus 979 frame, same as Sean Kelly used some times during his heyday...

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:03 pm

And... today's bikes... both fit perfectly... :wink: :wink:

Klein Adroit Pro Custom

Trek 1.9

...plus a town bike with hub gears, dynamo lights, mudguards, rack, kickstand and basket with puppy, which I'm looking to give some treatment to make it look less new and less stealable... any tips...?