Big update to Native Kontrol's APC40 app

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
kconlan

Big update to Native Kontrol's APC40 app

Post by kconlan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:25 am

This is huge for me, so I thought I'd share in case anyone hasn't seen it yet:

Native Kontrol just updated their APC40 app (first preset, apC-CL1) to include a row of 8 user-assignable clip-launch buttons that can very easily be assigned to Live's menu functions that have, until now, not been available to MIDI map. You can assign functions to the 8 buttons, plus functions to the buttons +shift, for a total of 16.

In my opinion, this was an incredibly useful app before, but now they've really outdone themselves; I've been waiting to easily assign Save, Insert Audio Track, etc, etc, to a non-keyboard button for a long time.

BTW, I have no association with them, I just like it.

Willyum

Re: Big update to Native Kontrol's APC40 app

Post by Willyum » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:34 pm

I swear this guys presets are going to force me to buy an APC40. can you explain further about the new mapping and to what formally unavailable midi functions.

Can it assign loading presets from browsers with 1-click (up, down)?

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:39 pm

I just bought it today. Can't wait until I get it.

With this you'll be able to group & ungroup tracks, save, copy, duplicate, delete and more. This is just from what I've seen on the videos. I'm stoked to play around w/ this.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:43 pm

You can scroll through the browser and use hot swap mode with presets. works well. i was using the apc in session view for a couple hours yesterday and barely touched the mouse at all. makes it feel a lot like a drum machine.

kconlan

Post by kconlan » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:58 pm

Willyum wrote:I swear this guys presets are going to force me to buy an APC40. can you explain further about the new mapping and to what formally unavailable midi functions.

Can it assign loading presets from browsers with 1-click (up, down)?

The new update comes with a new small application called APC Shell. When you open it, it has 16 drop-down menus (8 for standard button functions, 8 shifted functions).

Each menu has all the commands from the File, Edit, Insert menus, plus a bunch of other stuff like access to zoom settings (50%, 100%, 150%). It's real quick and easy to choose the functions that are most useful to you, then just click 'done' and that's it.

From there, to go from the APC's default function to the NK app function described above, you hit shift+clip stop 2 (or shift+clip stop 3 for a really handy drum rack mode, or shift+clip stop 4 for a user-mode to have all 40 clip triggers user assignable).

You can't quite load from the browser with one click, but there's a button assigned to 'toggle browser' (cycle through the different browser folders), and 'focus browser' (bring the focus to whatever browser folder is open), plus buttons for keyboard up, down, left, right, enter, (plus mackie control up, down, left, right) so it's still quick and easy and you don't have to touch the keyboard or mouse.

This the best it's ever been for me as far as rarely/never having to touch my keyboard or mouse. Great stuff. I'd recommend looking at the pdf manual on nativekontrol.com as well as checking out the video. It seems like this guy really beat Max for Live to the punch as far as supercharging the APC.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:42 pm

Just want to say that the support is great for this too. I've been having troubles getting the executable due to my email blocking them and he has been very helpful working with me. Can't wait to get home to try it out.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:53 pm

Where do y'all get this Naive Kontrol App?

Could someone provide me a link

I googled it and it only brought me back to this thread

Thanks in advance!
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:54 pm

mouka

Post by mouka » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:38 am

AceLuby wrote:Just want to say that the support is great for this too. I've been having troubles getting the executable due to my email blocking them and he has been very helpful working with me. Can't wait to get home to try it out.
+1 for the support. Stray has been immensely helpful with a few things that I was struggling with.

The app on the whole really opens up the APC40 functionality. I'm a massive fan. :D

Fieldmedic

Post by Fieldmedic » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:06 am

AceLuby wrote:Just want to say that the support is great for this too. I've been having troubles getting the executable due to my email blocking them and he has been very helpful working with me. Can't wait to get home to try it out.
+1. I'm on deployment in Iraq, so Paypal flagged my account which meant that it would take 6 days for the payment to clear. Stray was quite supportive in over-riding this snag. Thanks bro. You're a patriot.

these patches add excellent advantage to the APC40 that should have been standard to begin with. They are a must have if it's all you want MAX/MFL for.

FM

Zeddy

Post by Zeddy » Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:35 am

One of the best features in my opinion is that each template also comes in a "0dB" version as well. this means that all of the faders max out at 0dB rather than 6. really handy... I know you can just add a Utility with a setting of -6 to the end of your audio effects bus and it has basically the same effect, but this is just so much more convenient. It is DEFINITELY worth the $25. No question.