is it possible to really cut below 30Hz with EQ8?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
supamonsta

is it possible to really cut below 30Hz with EQ8?

Post by supamonsta » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi, I'm trying to make a proper cut at 30hz on some tracks, as everyone seems to agree with that,

but with EQ8 it seems really difficult, isn't it? (the curve is really smooth, and it also lowers the frequencies above 30 hz...)

if it is really possible with EQ8, could you please explain it to me? (I tried using several spots, but it seems really obscure, as this low part of the spectre is not really precise on the EQ8....?)

if not, what FREE EQ plugin is the best for mac os X that would be good for this job? I downloaded Blue Cat audio's freq analyst, and triple EQ, but this "triple EQ" doesn't seem neither to be able to make a real 30hz low cut...

or is it me? :o

Thanks by advance,

cheers

Raddler

Re: is it possible to really cut below 30Hz with EQ8?

Post by Raddler » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:06 pm

I'm also trying to find an asnswer to you're question!! Anyone?

dna598

Post by dna598 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:29 pm

hey, i find myself agreeing too. It doesnt cut as well as waves paragrahic eq, and is simply not as good surgically speaking.
But i have found that if you put the "scale" to 200% you can cut steeper.
ctrl + left/right = select transient

ctrl + shift + left/right = select between transients

ctrl + space = play selection

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:39 pm

I dont really have a problem so much with the sub bass level (16-60)

If you throw the spectrum plug on the channel where you eqing and then either apply a low cut filter at that frequency that is just unheard noise and rumble etc, it should then become reflected in the analysis.
Seems to work for me, failing that hit a auto filter on apply to suit your needs, the low cut filter works there also :)

Sorry if im misunderstanding the question here lol

Best Regards

Mike
Alex!

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 pm

you d'ont misuderstand at all :D

the auto filter seems indeed a bit better for this purpose.

I'll try the spectrum analyser (blue cat freq analyst is great, and free!) to see the result of the filter tweak, on single tracks,

but on the master track, it didn't seem to really CUT below 30hz, just lowering the stuff a little DBs down.

anyway, this thread could become an interesting EQ/Filter tips and plugin link thread :)

cheers

inakiesarte

Post by inakiesarte » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:53 am

Human hearing response goes from 20Hz to 20kHz... are you sure cutting below 30Hz will be
that noticeable?

Thanks!

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:29 am

does a notch work at 30hz?

Aeroplay

Post by Aeroplay » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 am

In my opinion, that's a good thing to do, since those freaquenzies in the very most cases really just don't make sense musicaly. If you kick them out you have more room for what really sounds in the mix. With all due respect to artistic freedom, one should know what on is doing. Most of the pa's don't even make it down to 30. And did you ever listen only to the frequenzies of your track above 18khz? I don't need that, usually.

I have my eq8 cutting everything below 30Hz and above 17,5 khz with the spectrum in between at linear level.

The trick is to use two "of those balls" (that eq8 has up to 8 of) at the same time for a sharp cut. You may have to play around a bit to find the right values, but its definetly not to hard. If someone really cares, I give you my preset. Just pm me... :wink:

peace
By really understanding art, you become an artist yourself

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:26 am

notch filter should do the trick

but you can always use more than one filter on the EQ8 on the same region - if you run out just use another EQ8!

also, while the EQ3 might have more colouration, it also has a 48dB slope, so you will get a much sharper cut as the EQ8 bell curve is only 15dB

The EQ3 has really grown on me actually

Tryptych

Post by Tryptych » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:40 am

Aeroplay wrote:In my opinion, that's a good thing to do, since those freaquenzies in the very most cases really just don't make sense musicaly. If you kick them out you have more room for what really sounds in the mix. With all due respect to artistic freedom, one should know what on is doing. Most of the pa's don't even make it down to 30. And did you ever listen only to the frequenzies of your track above 18khz? I don't need that, usually.

I have my eq8 cutting everything below 30Hz and above 17,5 khz with the spectrum in between at linear level.

The trick is to use two "of those balls" (that eq8 has up to 8 of) at the same time for a sharp cut. You may have to play around a bit to find the right values, but its definetly not to hard. If someone really cares, I give you my preset. Just pm me... :wink:

peace
Damn useful tips. Although I don't recommend cutting @ 17k. A lot of modern electronic music (f.e.) is cut around 15-16k, which IMO make them sound cheap. If you can get away with just highpass, do it, but lowpass @ 20k really defines the sound. Many times I stick the lowpass for just the drums to reduce hissy hi-hats etc.

Putting an autofilter @ 40-50 hZ shapes the curve to something similar that is found on commercial productions (if the mix is in balance itself). You can check it out with any analyzer.

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:16 am

thanks aeroplay, tryptych and others for your feedback.

I'll try using several "EQ balls" to make a more drastic cut.

the thing is that I just discovered the use of a Frequency analyser, so I wasn't accurate in my estimation of the EQ cut's effect. trying to use several "EQ balls" to make a cut, without frequency any analyser, seems totally unuseful, as the graphics on the EQ8 don't reflect so much the real effect applied...

indeed my ears won"t notice. :lol:

I have to make several tests with Freq Analyst.

I didn't try with EQ3 because when I tested it on other purposes, I felt it too much changing the overall sound.

ps: do someone know if the EQs of Logic pro are "better" or "easier" to use? (someone can sell me his Logic Studio 8 copy for just a few dozens euros... and I'm thinking of getting it to enhance my final mixing stage workflow...)

Forge.

Post by Forge. » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:13 am

monstrejumo wrote: ps: do someone know if the EQs of Logic pro are "better" or "easier" to use? (someone can sell me his Logic Studio 8 copy for just a few dozens euros... and I'm thinking of getting it to enhance my final mixing stage workflow...)
I actually think Live's EQs are quite ok - I tried doing that with Logic then decided it wasn't worth the effort

supamonsta

Post by supamonsta » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:15 am

yep

in fact all ableton live's tools are really up to the job they're meant for, despite their lack of visual attractiveness / and / or bells and whistles !