8x8 Macro Knob Control would be nice!!! (APC40)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alsamarkan

8x8 Macro Knob Control would be nice!!! (APC40)

Post by Alsamarkan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 pm

live plugins are automatically mapped 8x8 on the device control. how about the possibility to map all kind of vsts to 8x8? in each rack are only 8 knobs to control. 8 banks with 8 knobs each would be very nice! pls abes - bring it on!
I7 920/6 GB RAM/WIN7/RME 9632/UAD-1/Trigger Finger/APC40/MPK25/Nanokey/Shuttle Pro V2/Live 8 Suite/BFD2 (XFL,8BitKit) Kitcore/Trilian/Omnisphere/FM8/GuitarRig 4/RealGuitar 2/Reflections LE/Waves Vocal Rider/Fabfilter Bundle/SPL Analog Code Bundle 1

Dexes

Re: 8x8 Macro Knob Control would be nice!!! (APC40)

Post by Dexes » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:11 pm

don't know about the apc, but with any other controler that features instant mapping (or any you make a user remote script for) it works that way - only you get up to 16 banks of 8 controls.

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:43 pm

You do get 8 sets of 8 knobs.

Under the knobs are 8 buttons.

Hold down the Shift button and you'll see the first of those buttons lit up. You are on the first bank of controls.

Push the 2nd button and you're on the 2nd bank of controls and you can have up to 8 banks.

Hope this helps.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:51 pm

i don´t get it!^^ let´s say, i configure my uad cambridge eq and have 24 controls to manage. i´ve mapped the first 8 knobs to control. every shift+control after that will overwrite one of the 8 knobs respectively doubles up each of the 8 knob controls. but there is no possibility to map more than 8 different controls. are there different banks? am i blind? a pic would be nice. but thx anyway.
I7 920/6 GB RAM/WIN7/RME 9632/UAD-1/Trigger Finger/APC40/MPK25/Nanokey/Shuttle Pro V2/Live 8 Suite/BFD2 (XFL,8BitKit) Kitcore/Trilian/Omnisphere/FM8/GuitarRig 4/RealGuitar 2/Reflections LE/Waves Vocal Rider/Fabfilter Bundle/SPL Analog Code Bundle 1

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Alsamarkan wrote:i don´t get it!^^ let´s say, i configure my uad cambridge eq and have 24 controls to manage. i´ve mapped the first 8 knobs to control. every shift+control after that will overwrite one of the 8 knobs respectively doubles up each of the 8 knob controls. but there is no possibility to map more than 8 different controls. are there different banks? am i blind? a pic would be nice. but thx anyway.
Ok, so I'll explain the two ways I'd do it:

Manual
------

Let's say I want to map it so the 24 controls are available no matter what I select and those controls are in the Pan and sends section.

1) Pan should be lit up indicating you are in the first bank.
2) Manually map the 8 pan rotary knobs to the first 8 controls of the eq. So now Pan = first 8 controls and NOT pan.
3) Now hit the send A button to manually map those. You can do this for 4 sets of controls, you need only 3.

You can map the lower right 8 knobs the same way except you need to hold down the shift key to figure out which bank you are in. The buttons below light up to indicate the bank. This will take away the automatic function of controlling what is selected though.

Auto
----

Now, to use the auto simply select the device you want to control (in this case the EQ).

The eight knobs should control the first 8 parameters.

Hold down the shift key.

The first button under the knobs should be lit up indicating you are on the first bank.

If you press the second button (while holding shift) you move to the second bank.

Release the shift button and now the APC controls the next 8 parameters.

Does that make sense. If not I'll try to draw something out.

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:59 pm

This will take away the automatic function of controlling what is selected though.

And that´s the problem! I don´t want to customize the "TRACK CONTROL" panel. I´m fine with the preconfigurated Pans and Sends. I want to use the "DEVICE CONTROL" to handle VSTs with 8 possible banks, as you already can do with all the premapped live plugins. So in my opinion, the rack structure needs an update. Instrument and Audio Racks need the 8 knob matrix as it is + the possibility to choose 8 different banks for the 8 knobs (8x8). This would be a great update, especially for the APC40 user!

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:18 pm

below the line ... i don´t want to customize the hardware (APC40), i want the software (Racks) perfectly get matched with "what already is there": an 8x8 device control center on the APC40! The Rack management have to change. The software needs an update!

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:31 pm

I don't understand your problem. It seems like you are having difficulty getting to the other 7 banks in the device control. I use VST's w/ my APC and simply configure in Live the parameters I want control of so that when it is highlighted the APC gets control of those parameters.

Are you having trouble configuring your plugins so that Live treats the parameters the same as any other rack?

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:37 pm

AceLuby wrote:I don't understand your problem. It seems like you are having difficulty getting to the other 7 banks in the device control. I use VST's w/ my APC and simply configure in Live the parameters I want control of so that when it is highlighted the APC gets control of those parameters.

Are you having trouble configuring your plugins so that Live treats the parameters the same as any other rack?
My problem is the limitation of the racks as mentioned before.

1. I put a VST plugin on an empty track.
2. I configure the plugin by setting the parameters, i want to control (let´s say 13 parameters)
3. Now i group the plugin to a new device rack
4. Now i have 8 knobs in the device rack
5. Now i map 8 of the 13 parameters to the 8 knobs

All fine! But, there are 5 parameters left and there are no more knobs to configure inside the rack. So what do i miss? Each rack saved, should be a preconfigured rack with more than 8 control options. I know how to manage bank selects on the APC40, but i never heard there are banks inside a rack! There is only the one bank with this 8 knobs! Is it really possible to switch between banks inside one rack and get 8x8 knobs to configure all needed parameters?

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:54 pm

just forget about the rack, select the vst, and then select the banks...

If you put a live instrument in a rack and select the enclosing rack you can also only use the 8 macros.

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:02 pm

Dexes wrote:just forget about the rack, select the vst, and then select the banks...

If you put a live instrument in a rack and select the enclosing rack you can also only use the 8 macros.
but then i have to midi map each time i use the vst. there is no way to save the vst with all the mappings.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:10 pm

sure. You save it in a rack, this also saves you configuration of parameters. But then when you want to control it, don't select the rack, but the actual vst.

Alsamarkan

Post by Alsamarkan » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:21 pm

o.k., means one click more on the apc to control the vst instead of the front rack. but of course possible.

nevertheless, +1 for rack optimization with 8x8 matrix.^^

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:34 pm

Alsamarkan wrote:
Dexes wrote:just forget about the rack, select the vst, and then select the banks...

but then i have to midi map each time i use the vst. there is no way to save the vst with all the mappings.
Really? I've only configured my VST once w/ the 10 or so parameters I want to control and when I select the VST the APC recognizes it. I never have to midi map anything.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:22 pm

Alsamarkan wrote:o.k., means one click more on the apc to control the vst instead of the front rack. but of course possible.

nevertheless, +1 for rack optimization with 8x8 matrix.^^
As was said, don't use a rack in this situation. If you've already saved the rack so as to save the plug-in configuration, just right-click and hit "ungroup" after loading it.

I save my racks to save plug-in configuration, but if I want to use more than 8 controls, I'd just use the VST without the rack and move the controls I want up to the front. Favorite thing about Live 8 right there.

But I definitely agree. I'd like to see more than 8 macros per rack. Especially when you're racking a bunch of instruments and effects, or a drum rack, it would be nice to have more. I put this in th feature wishlist after Live 6 - Tabs would work great.
Professional Shark Jumper.