I've gotta sound off on the whole Live - MAC vs. PC thing...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
knotkranky

Re: I've gotta sound off on the whole Live - MAC vs. PC thing...

Post by knotkranky » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:25 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:it's great the KK is here, but he doesn't talk shop like he used to. :(
I would force him to talk about mixing if I could for sure! 8O
well, start a thread! ;)

shout out to DJSynchro for illustrating my point with his 'sucking' thread. I hope he gets a chance to read this before he gets banned.

glad to hear from others on that topic, it sheds light on what the community is thinking.
Yup, if i can be of any service or answer any Q's, i will. First off, Tone I get your style and if you weren't so f'ing funny (in the good way) i would flame you w both barrels, but you've got the don rickles pass for some reason so it's pointless, lol. I think that's how yer post count makes a diff whether you think it matters or not. \m/

I'll tell ya though, I do socialize here. It's the right smart crowd with the right level of moderation and lots of comedy/drama. Sheeeit, i put a political post for the first time on me facebook. It went a few salvos and people got butthurt real quick and some friends i haven't seen in 30 years kicked in and were like ??, then i was like ??. It had no resemblance to the banter and rhythm here. Though it's been slow, i'm a music maker foremost and that's why i rather hang-out with the same. Making good music is way harder than cutting records in my book.

And sure, I'm a proponent of open air discussion like a few of ya. It's cathartic talking out loud but damn if ya can't do it anywhere ya like. Machines has a good point; No matter the level of argument or stupidity, good info leaks out with this crew and I share the same SubFunk sentiments several posts back.

As for Live, the way I see it, it's all over this board and in the way of my ot threads :P but abes does have a tiger by the tail. I still think the software deserves better than the way it's been going.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Come on guys, PC or MAC is not the point.

The essential is to have fun composing, editing and playing live.

I simply propose a huge and collective Hug [not in the gay style though :P ] between pc and mac users.

Let's drop the hammer and make a hug, maybe even share the smoking calumet!
I'm 32 and I remember this pc vs mac was already on the fire about 20years ago.

It's fun to see how humans like to react badly with the things they don't use.
kind of "my car rules, yours sucks"
or even - "my wife rules and yours sucks" but there I think the tendancy is inverted LMAO :mrgreen:

Peace.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:58 pm

Tone Deft wrote:dipshit, I'm trying to protect this place, keep it from becoming a generic chat room, something that Ableton would not want. they pay for this site and maintain it to support a product, not so bored people can talk about soup recipes. clearly I post in and enjoy some OT but I keep it balanced by answering questions and I only make OT threads very rarely.
LMFAO!

Nice to see you're trying to protect this place, cause you spent about 2 years dragging it into the shitter. Didn't the Abes have to intervene and tell you to STFU? And the reason the old dogs aren't around any more has a lot to do with... wait for it... YOU. And you're proud of your 17k posts... omg... probably about 15k of them are absolute trash talking garbage. It's great that you're not being such an asshole these days, but please, you're gonna make me puke if you keep up this holier than thou routine.
Image Image

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:01 am

knotkranky wrote:Yup, if i can be of any service or answer any Q's, i will. First off, Tone I get your style and if you weren't so f'ing funny (in the good way) i would flame you w both barrels, but you've got the don rickles pass for some reason so it's pointless, lol. I think that's how yer post count makes a diff whether you think it matters or not. \m/

I'll tell ya though, I do socialize here. It's the right smart crowd with the right level of moderation and lots of comedy/drama. Sheeeit, i put a political post for the first time on me facebook. It went a few salvos and people got butthurt real quick and some friends i haven't seen in 30 years kicked in and were like ??, then i was like ??. It had no resemblance to the banter and rhythm here. Though it's been slow, i'm a music maker foremost and that's why i rather hang-out with the same. Making good music is way harder than cutting records in my book.

And sure, I'm a proponent of open air discussion like a few of ya. It's cathartic talking out loud but damn if ya can't do it anywhere ya like. Machines has a good point; No matter the level of argument or stupidity, good info leaks out with this crew and I share the same SubFunk sentiments several posts back.

As for Live, the way I see it, it's all over this board and in the way of my ot threads :P but abes does have a tiger by the tail. I still think the software deserves better than the way it's been going.
lol maybe Don PRICKles. ;)

man, you know stuff I can't even begin to know what to ask about.

good read, it is very interesting to read these other viewpoints, we all dig this place, nobody wants to see it change, there's just different viewpoints. my headspace has changed after reading other peoples' words. it went from seeing the forum degrading to seeing people just chatting and chilling out. it has changed, I'll change with it, a bit.

try googling "pc vs mac forum" you'll find all kinds of computer flame wars and essays about how they blow up.

/off to the mac forum to bitch about Live 8 being so buggy.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

McQ714

Post by McQ714 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:09 am

Tone Deft wrote:he totally pwned you.
ok fine...
Homebelly wrote:
McQ714 wrote: because i can always upgrade a component or two to keep it ahead of the game if need be,,,
followed by a whole bunch of geek talk that mac users will never have to concern then selves with having to understand
and that also further supports my claim that Macs are easier to use.
because it's so hard to change out a stick of ram or a video card, right? or a CPU for that matter! u ever opened up your computer to install an audio card? add a hard drive? install a UAD card? all you really have to do, just as in other aspects of life, is stick it in the slot or make sure the pins line up with the holes and screw it in there!!! maybe you don't know anything about that either?!?

but hey i'm not attacking anyone personally here.. just trying to point out that that things aren't as difficult as the fanboys make them seem. even if you have no computer background.

if you had the urge and the money to own a UAD card, would you really be put off by the fact that you'd have to install it yourself?

sesshin

Post by sesshin » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:18 am

RCUS wrote: I've gotta sound off on the whole Live - MAC vs. PC thing...
No... you don't. :|

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:23 am

Tone Deft wrote: you really are one dumb motherfucker.

you say it's a fun place to post then you tell me not to post.

you say it's great to get answers but you rarely ever provide them. I get more "thanks for the help" in a week than you do in a year.

dipshit, I'm trying to protect this place, keep it from becoming a generic chat room, something that Ableton would not want. they pay for this site and maintain it to support a product, not so bored people can talk about soup recipes. clearly I post in and enjoy some OT but I keep it balanced by answering questions and I only make OT threads very rarely.

seriously, between this and the retarded mac soundcard post you made I can't believe you've lived this long without forgetting how to breath.

I am proud of my 17,000 posts. I know WAAAY more about Live and audio than you can imagine. think about it fuckwit. I've also helped literally hundreds of people, that feels good. I really dig that people ask questions about OTHER products and they get answers. I don't see you contributing to that. props for your local user group, I really respect that, but then you post stupid shit to me and I can't help but question your common sense.

don't fuck with me and I won't fuck with you. if you want to bring it, it's broughten, beyotch.

Dude! You sound worse than me on my worst day, and you are talking to your friends here. :cry: Do you HONESTLY think that you are acting in the Ableton Forum's best interest when you exemplify this type of meglomaniacal emotional turrets syndrome? I don't think so.

Listen Tone Deft, you ARE a VERY good guy for technical advice but you apparently don't know shit about retail business and "customers". Ableton understands that this is what a customer is: Image

Taking a reverse approach to this business philosophy is making yourself out to be this: Image

Please take a moment to ponder and contemplate this, and understand why this forum is as active and successful as it is.

And for god's sake man, quit patting yourself on the ass like you are the Ableton Mother Theresa or something.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:26 am

polyslax wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:dipshit, I'm trying to protect this place, keep it from becoming a generic chat room, something that Ableton would not want. they pay for this site and maintain it to support a product, not so bored people can talk about soup recipes. clearly I post in and enjoy some OT but I keep it balanced by answering questions and I only make OT threads very rarely.
LMFAO!

Nice to see you're trying to protect this place, cause you spent about 2 years dragging it into the shitter. Didn't the Abes have to intervene and tell you to STFU? And the reason the old dogs aren't around any more has a lot to do with... wait for it... YOU. And you're proud of your 17k posts... omg... probably about 15k of them are absolute trash talking garbage. It's great that you're not being such an asshole these days, but please, you're gonna make me puke if you keep up this holier than thou routine.
:lol: you go on with your bad self. your posts have left no impression on me. some people speak up and I pay attention, sometimes I need to be told to chill out. I'd rather be one of the weird ones than a boring old milquetoast poster like you. you want to flame me? fine, I don't care. you want to get along? fine. I wouldn't notice either way.

dom asked me to remove some swear words during Timur's last days when threads were being locked. oh, and Timur asked that my references to his family* be removed.

smooches. :D

McQ714 - seriously lol-ing!!

* Timur asked that this be edited. 8O he's been banned for a months, could he be cperezzz too??
Last edited by Tone Deft on Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:29 am

McQ714 wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:he totally pwned you.
ok fine...
Homebelly wrote:
McQ714 wrote: because i can always upgrade a component or two to keep it ahead of the game if need be,,,
followed by a whole bunch of geek talk that mac users will never have to concern then selves with having to understand
and that also further supports my claim that Macs are easier to use.
because it's so hard to change out a stick of ram or a video card, right? or a CPU for that matter! u ever opened up your computer to install an audio card? add a hard drive? install a UAD card? all you really have to do, just as in other aspects of life, is stick it in the slot or make sure the pins line up with the holes and screw it in there!!! maybe you don't know anything about that either?!?

but hey i'm not attacking anyone personally here.. just trying to point out that that things aren't as difficult as the fanboys make them seem. even if you have no computer background.

if you had the urge and the money to own a UAD card, would you really be put off by the fact that you'd have to install it yourself?
Have you ever looked in side a Mac Pro???
If you haven't already, you owe it to your self to do so, it truley is a thing of design beauty.
Alls ya need to do is open a draw, pop the hard drive in, close the draw...
No wires,, no leads,, no time wasted...
My two year old niece can put the ram in it,, my five year old nephew can put a PCi card in it..
You don't need to worry about lining any thing up, the inside of a Mac pro is designed so you don't.
And that's the point isn't it??
No skill required..
No time wasted..
And i've wasted lots of that over the years on both PC/MS machines and Mac/OS8-9 machines going back to the saw tooth G3's configuring TDM cards, DIGI DESIGN 001 cards.. sample cell cards.. FW cards.. SCSI cards and god knows what else.
But, since the PPC G5/Mac Pro line introduction..
Life has been sweet and trouble free..
Well... almost..
I did fuck up an OS install that you can read about if you dig into the forum a month or so back that ate my iTunes library :oops:
But then i have never claimed life with my mac is perfect, just simpler.. :wink: 8)
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:40 am

DrX...

I'd feel wrong flaming you back. I truly feel sorry for you, if I could donate money to research I would. stay cool man, you might get your cred back. I'm trying with you, really trying. I don't know what you wrote, I skip your posts, just be cool.

yeah, I let one rip on Sub Funk, it's there for all to see as is my apology. I used strong words instead of a simple "I disagree." wow, the horror. he seemed to have weathered it just fine.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:03 am

Tone Deft wrote:DrX...

I'd feel wrong flaming you back. I truly feel sorry for you, if I could donate money to research I would. stay cool man, you might get your cred back. I'm trying with you, really trying. I don't know what you wrote, I skip your posts, just be cool.

yeah, I let one rip on Sub Funk, it's there for all to see as is my apology. I used strong words instead of a simple "I disagree." wow, the horror. he seemed to have weathered it just fine.

Tone!
So NICE of you to respond. I have you figured out bro, and why it is you have roughly four times as many posts as everyone else here. It's actually pretty obvious. You merely have trouble venting is all. You build up like a tea pot from a lack of attention and then when you whistle loud n proud you feel the need to apologize. It's a kind of "reinstatement of innocence". You should just stick to the unemotional, non social post engagements. That way you wouldn't feel so guilty all the time in retrospect. Thereby you would cut back on your needless posting by 75%. What do you think?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:16 am

McQ714 wrote:because it's so hard to change out a stick of ram or a video card, right? or a CPU for that matter! u ever opened up your computer to install an audio card? add a hard drive? install a UAD card? all you really have to do, just as in other aspects of life, is stick it in the slot or make sure the pins line up with the holes and screw it in there!!! maybe you don't know anything about that either?!?
It's already been said, but every mac laptop I've owned, the first thing I do is instal a faster hard drive, and more RAM in it. I've replaced CD/DVD drives etc. The notion that because you don't want to worry about power supplies or motherboards etc. that makes you incapable of the basics??? It's one of those weird myths. My PC using parents take the computer in to replace RAM.

Also, I've been very successful in getting brand new macbooks off craigslist, (one wasn't even opened) not everyone pays full price for their machines. :wink:

I think PCs are pretty cool for desktops, but I really do prefer OSX, and even RME, who for years was decidedly more friendly towards the PC market, has stated OSX beats the piss out of Windows in USB support etc.

http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_fir ... uc_general

This is so typical, and I'm not exaggerating, it's just so common, look at the difference in what RME say about USB audio with high end products like theirs! RME have raged at Apple too, they take no prisoners. Remember they're the ones who raged about the Agre firewire chipsets in macbook pros not mounting their drivers etc.

The point is though that even hardware problems are almost always less common on macs, and to some it's worth it to pay for the overpriced aluminum they wrap their hardware in to justify it.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:22 am

DrX -
OK, I read that, that last post had red lights all over it. don't want to go there.

there's truth to what you wrote. :D

it's bad writing. delving into an idea and getting deeper and deeper into a post, running with it, ultimately totally overshooting the point. sometimes I don't have time to edit or rethink words.

the apologies are so I embarrass myself and will learn to stop doing it and out of respect to the actual real people reading that crap.

sometimes I just don't care, there are some posters where we can take the piss out of each other all day and not care. many use the forum to vent.

hey, nice post. 8)
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Homebelly

Post by Homebelly » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:25 am

DrXparaMental wrote: Tone!
So NICE of you to respond. I have you figured out bro, and why it is you have roughly four times as many posts as everyone else here ? It's actually pretty obvious. You merely have trouble venting is all.
I would have expected more from a poster with you astonishing intellect and writing prowess.
Tones post count is a slow moving target, any fool can use it to take a cheap shot :wink:
Oh..
and i fixed your question mark for ya.
DrXparaMental wrote:You build up like a tea pot from a lack of attention and then when you whistle loud n proud you feel the need to apologize.
You don't make much tea do you?
If you did you would know how silly this analogy is.
DrXparaMental wrote:It's a kind of "reinstatement of innocence". You should just stick to the unemotional, non social post engagements. That way you wouldn't feel so guilty all the time in retrospect.
I'm wondering if i'm the only one that see's the irony in this statement.. :?
Maybe i should start a poll?
DrXparaMental wrote:Thereby you would cut back on your needless posting by 75%. What do you think?
And here you are back at the cheap shot...
15" 2.4 MBP/Live/Sampler/Operator/ Home made Dumble clone/Two Strats/One Jazz Bass.
Come and visit any time= Soundcloud

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:32 am

nah, DrX and I are learning to understand each other. we're exchanging prescription recipes for our psych meds.

/laughing
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz