best allround microphone and soundcard to buy?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
korbbit

best allround microphone and soundcard to buy?

Post by korbbit » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:34 pm

im sure youv had this question a million times, but whats the best(but realisticly priced) microphone to buy? for vocals and guitar, and anything else i happen to record. and also im sure you would need a pretty fit soundcard to make the most of it, so whats the best way to go for them? would these things be best bought over the internet?
-corbin

DrXparaMental

Re: best allround microphone and soundcard to buy?

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:46 pm

korbbit wrote:im sure youv had this question a million times, but whats the best(but realisticly priced) microphone to buy? for vocals and guitar, and anything else i happen to record. and also im sure you would need a pretty fit soundcard to make the most of it, so whats the best way to go for them? would these things be best bought over the internet?
http://aus.rodemic.com/microphone.php?product=NT2-A

zalo

Post by zalo » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:13 pm

thats the mic i have ^ i like it

i also have an RME Fireface 400 which i also like

josephjobling

Post by josephjobling » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:31 pm

zalo wrote:thats the mic i have ^ i like it

i also have an RME Fireface 400 which i also like
RME fire face 400 is nice 800 is better if you have the dollars it has better digital to analouge converters. i use the SE2200a and must say for the money i am very pleased with the results i get from it - worth looking into.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:25 pm

I held off recommending a card because I use E-MU. Whereas they make a great card that sounds excellent and is super capable, I wouldn't recommend them. They have no customer support. They used to be excellent in this respect but there was an ownership change and that part of a company to me is ultra important. It's really a shame too because they made excellent products. There hasn't been an updated driver for quite a while. :cry:

Motu is a good sounding card, but they are seriously delicate. One of my best friends uses an ultralite and it's had it's share of truffles including being sent back for repairs. I have HEARD, that RME is the only way to fly and if I were in your shoes, unquestionably it's the way I would go.

mbird21

Post by mbird21 » Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:48 pm

I use sE2200a for vocals etc, is great microphone and no problems at all and thats just phantom ampd by a ultragain unit. On the soundcard i use audiophile delta 192 which is really great and again no probs, aslo use a rode podcaster for my dj show but wouldnt record vocals for tracks with it.

Best

Mike
Alex!

zz1415926535

Post by zz1415926535 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:47 pm

MOTU Ultralight Mk3 is pretty rad soundcard (external/firewire). Comes with nice spectrographic monitoring software.