PC User's Blaming Apple All the Time?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lopark

Post by lopark » Sat Feb 12, 2005 9:08 am

PC User's Blaming Apple All the Time?
Blame Apple for what? I blame Apple for my iPod obsession, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.
Lopark

Ableton Live 6 + Operator
MacBook Pro (Core Duo)
M-Audio Firewire 410
Evolution UC-33
Midiman Oxygen 8
M-Audio BX8a monitors

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:16 am

Hi!

Sorry for my bad English! Like I say'd: I don't want to hurt anyboby!
And WOW thanks for all those replies....He he he ....

thx.......
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

drush

Post by drush » Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:22 pm

MarkH wrote:Don't get me started about Logic 7. Pure garbage, crashes all the time, and the 7.01 update that was released days before NAMM is a joke. And now they want to charge for the 7.1 update? Please.
logic lost me as a customer as soon as apple started pricing things. and we think the hardware is overpriced?!
..not that i really care about logic anymore though. ;p

conny

Post by conny » Sat Feb 12, 2005 3:15 pm

PC Laptop Acer, XP Home SP2, build in crappy sound card.
Bleeps and Blops!
http://bluemoose.greatnow.com/

Robert Henke

Post by Robert Henke » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:59 pm

Machinesworking wrote: Live wasn't made for PC either. It's just that right now, in terms of raw processing power, with no, altivec, or dual, or SSE, PC's are faster. That could change in 4 months, but I think it's safe to say that it will be longer than that before powerbooks beat PC laptops at pure CPU power.
Live was designed purely cross platform, there's no indication that PC's are getting any better performance based on matching ghz, system bus, and RAM levels, but when a 3.4 ghz PC with a huge system bus battles a 1.6 ghz powerbook, which do you think will win the speed war?

I am a mac guy, and actually 40% of our developpers at Ableton work on macs. I would never want to use a PC as my main computer since I do not like windows that much. But I run Jitter video stuff on a PC notebook which did cost the same as my powerbook I use for audio. Guess what, I get almost twice the frame rate out of the PC notebook. Or almost the same frame rate I get when using a dual G5 2.5 GHz...

Robert

MarkH

Post by MarkH » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:15 pm

Robert Henke wrote:I am a mac guy, and actually 40% of our developpers at Ableton work on macs. I would never want to use a PC as my main computer since I do not like windows that much. But I run Jitter video stuff on a PC notebook which did cost the same as my powerbook I use for audio. Guess what, I get almost twice the frame rate out of the PC notebook. Or almost the same frame rate I get when using a dual G5 2.5 GHz...

Robert
Thanks Robert. I think it's fair to say we've come around full circle. Use the platform you're comfortable with and be aware of the differences. There are Pros and Cons to both.

Regards,
Mark
Accidents are the portal to discovery!

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:55 pm

sweetjesus wrote:its because you deserve a slap in the face.

are you taking it from steve jobs?

we're sick of mac guys saying ableton is slow and stuff because they use a platform ableton was not designed on. Also this topic is useless, if you had talent you would be busy making music or asking music making questions, not posting bs.
I wish if i could concentrate on music more and wouldnt have to spend 50% of my time with Ableton/apple related problems... I dont need your arrogance i need the issues to be fixed... Live is not an exclusiv PC platform...its sold for mac and it should support the mac...otherwise they have to make the mac versions cheaper or state it official that mac use is not recommended.. It´s´a thing betwenn mac users and ableton..all otheres should shut up... you dont have to read apple/ableton related threads...

xzusa8ky

Post by xzusa8ky » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:42 pm

Hi!

Wow Mr Henke himself..."a mac fan".... Jabadabaduuuuuuu!

thx...
Bitwig/1.0.5 - Ableton/Live 8 - Apple/MacPro-2.8Ghz-8Core-RAID - Samsung/SM-P2770H 27" - Yamaha/HS80M/HS10W - Behringer/BCR/BCF - Allen & Heath/Xone:3D - Sennheiser/HD25-13 - Native Instruments/Komplete9/Traktor Pro

mosca

Post by mosca » Sat Feb 12, 2005 6:45 pm

it's all about peace and love

not with you it isn't. it's all about being a tosser and getting up peoples noses

innit?

Blomblom

Post by Blomblom » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:28 pm

3phase wrote:
I wish if i could concentrate
music music music music
50% of my time with Ableton

apple related problems...

I dont need your arrogance

i need
i neeeeeeed
i neeeeed

the issues to be fixed...
the issues to be fixed...

Live is not an exclusiv PC platform...its sold for mac and it should

support the mac...
support the mac...
support the mac...

otherwise they have to make mac versions

cheaper or state official

that mac use is recommended..

It´s´a thing betwenn mac
betwenn mac
betwenn mac
betwenn mac

users and ableton

all otheres should shut up
all otheres should shut up

... you dont have to read
Blomblom

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:30 pm

:roll:

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:59 pm

Robert Henke wrote:I am a mac guy, and actually 40% of our developpers at Ableton work on macs. I would never want to use a PC as my main computer since I do not like windows that much. But I run Jitter video stuff on a PC notebook which did cost the same as my powerbook I use for audio. Guess what, I get almost twice the frame rate out of the PC notebook. Or almost the same frame rate I get when using a dual G5 2.5 GHz...
Robert
Exactly, I'm just saying that it's a matter of personal preference, and to a large degree, I'm comfortable admitting that PC's are faster right now. I wish people here on this board would acknowledge the simple fact that Ableton is also a fan of both platforms, hence there might just possibly be something to macs besides the pretty boxes, or corporate brainwashing etc?
Don't get me wrong, I wish Live was altivec optimized, and used dual processors, but I realize that it might not be cost effective for Ableton.

liquidfx

Post by liquidfx » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:27 am

lol what?

logic is probably the best DAW out there! in 5 years or so it might become the standard and knock PT off its throne!

bencodec

Post by bencodec » Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:29 am

sorry to stretch this thread out any longer then it has to be, but in point of fact, ableton is designed on a mac as well as a PC, thats the point, they offer a cross platform product. if we are gonna be placing blame around for ableton's mac perfomance lets keep in mind that live had not been optimized for apples chip set since it's release. the G4 chip predates ableton V 1. It's like the PPC version running on a 1.8 Ghz 486 chip. It's silly, lets optimize the damn this so we can use the fasteer chips we paid for and people can stop having this discussion.
sweetjesus wrote:its because you deserve a slap in the face.

are you taking it from steve jobs?

we're sick of mac guys saying ableton is slow and stuff because they use a platform ableton was not designed on. Also this topic is useless, if you had talent you would be busy making music or asking music making questions, not posting bs.

smutek

Post by smutek » Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:25 am

xzusa8ky wrote:Hi!

I'm a troll from reasonstation.net

I'm not quite witty or demented enough to be you know who (woof) but I think I'm doing a pretty good job!

thx...
:roll: