Not sure if you caught this, Live pack and MFL examples

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LOFA

Re: Not sure if you caught this, Live pack and MFL examples

Post by LOFA » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:52 am

ze2be wrote:
stutter wrote:watching the beginning of the lfo vid, I wanted it to be drag-n-droppable. Hope Ableton figure out a way to implement that, since it's inherent to Live's workflow.
Menu scroll assigning parameters.. That was a surprise..! Hopefully its just alfa.
Right, so the guts of the patch probably consistent partially of a listener directed at the operator and a umenu. If this is the case, it seems that my workflow will be radically improved. Now I just hope that the internal communication is somewhere close to OSC in regard to delay and stability.

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:12 pm

LOFA wrote:
ze2be wrote:
stutter wrote:watching the beginning of the lfo vid, I wanted it to be drag-n-droppable. Hope Ableton figure out a way to implement that, since it's inherent to Live's workflow.
Menu scroll assigning parameters.. That was a surprise..! Hopefully its just alfa.
Right, so the guts of the patch probably consistent partially of a listener directed at the operator and a umenu. If this is the case, it seems that my workflow will be radically improved.
Would you care to elaborate on that? Im not acquainted with the terminology of max, neither have I ever used the program.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:40 pm

"Listener": Not max-specific. Something that responds to actions in its environment. I am probably bastaradizing this a bit but... An example would be the object "notein". This object listens for available external MIDI sources. You drop it in a patch and it is "good to go"- after some fun times getting down the subtleties of how midi data is handled in max :)

Umenu object is a standard tool for visually selecting and listing named items.

So, what I am suggesting is that it looks as though this mfl object is created with an object that can pickup on a list of available parameters from the Operator that follows it. I am interested in finding out how this came to be. There will hopefully be many different ways of doing this. The umenu approach would be nice because then you could delete all of the parameters that you never use from the list, making things more manageable. This list could be copied and pasted from one max object to the next through the inspector. Hell, we would have presets in the browser!!! :twisted:

The thing I am most concerned about is that a mfl patch/device/thingy on one track can receive expressive change data from other parts of Live, and not through MIDI, because Live does not handle the kinds of control changes that I need to use with it through MIDI. Bottleneck City.

Poster

Post by Poster » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:45 pm

LOFA wrote:an object that can pickup on a list of available parameters from the Operator that follows it. I am interested in finding out how this came to be.
probably the live.remote~ object..

http://www.cycling74.com/story/2009/7/14/1835/98517

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:16 pm

poster wrote:
LOFA wrote:an object that can pickup on a list of available parameters from the Operator that follows it. I am interested in finding out how this came to be.
probably the live.remote~ object..

http://www.cycling74.com/story/2009/7/14/1835/98517
Right. Perfect. Forgot about that article. Haven't read it in months. Doing my best not to obsess over the trickling data, but that is clearly a fundamental staple.

It is still a bit unclear though. It could be the Livepath plugin that generates the list of available parameters.

Hopefully something will be able to handle a lot of simultaneous, realtime changes at the signal level.

Jekblad

Post by Jekblad » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:48 pm

this is awesome
2.4 ghz Macbook Pro 8gb RAM, SSD, Live 9 Suite, Puremagnetik, Minimal Talent

stutter

Post by stutter » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:39 pm

LOFA wrote:Doing my best not to obsess over the trickling data
exactly...but, it is September, only 3 months of the year left.

hahaha

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:00 pm

Great vid, thanks for sharing. Definitely got me excited to learn some max once it's in the live environment.

The one thing the lfo device got me wondering was: If there is a device sending control type signals to an instrument or effect parameter, can that parameter still be tweaked while the signal is being applied to it? So in the lfo example, I wonder if those parameters it's controlling can still be manually tweaked. It appeared to be moving the entire parameter (as opposed to clip envelope which are relative to initial position and only display the ring around the parameter changing value). In this video it appeared more the way midi cc clip envelopes make VST parameters react (the whole control changes value - not in a relative fashion).

I think an lfo would be most useful if it affected parameters in a relative way, like clip envelopes, but were bi-polar.I'm sure that can be done too...
Professional Shark Jumper.