Trigger Session slots with notes in a midi track

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
SunAb

Trigger Session slots with notes in a midi track

Post by SunAb » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:15 pm

Hi

I was wondering if its possible to trigger session slots with notes in a midi track?

Many thanks

cluesome

Re: Trigger Session slots with notes in a midi track

Post by cluesome » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Yes, it is.

You need a MIDI loopback device. I use the Mac built-in one, the IAC bus. For a PC you need something like Hubi's Loopback Device.

In Preferences->MIDI Sync, turn on the Remote option for your loopback device so that Live interprets MIDI from it (the loopback device) as control messages.
In the MIDI Map Mode, map the session clip you wish to trigger to respond to the note you are going to send from the loopback track. You need something that generates notes to do this (like a keyboard,) I don't know of a way to insert into the map directly.
Now, select your loopback device from the drop down menu in the MIDI To field of your MIDI track.
Be careful to select No Input in the MIDI From drop down for the loopback track to avoid horrible MIDI feedback.
Create a MIDI clip on the loopback track and get it to send the note.

Live sees the note coming in on the IAC bus (or whatever loopback device you have,) sees that it is a Remote control message and routes it to the MIDI mapping, which responds by triggering the mapped Clip.
2.16GHz C2D Macbook Pro
OS X 10.6.5.
Live 7 (7.0.18)
M-Audio FireWire Audiophile
BCR2000

satter

Post by satter » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:57 am

I don't seem to be able to do this in synch. If I put a trigger note on the first beat in a control clip, by the time the trigger reaches the destination clip it is to late and the clip launches out of synch.

Is there a way to put a negative delay on the track (the usual track delay does not seem to work in this case) or do I just need to send the trigger note in advance?

I'm using Macbook white and Live 8, sending the trigger notes over IAC.

/satter
Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB memory, MacOS 10.6.7
Live 8.2.2, Max for Live 5.1.8

cluesome

Post by cluesome » Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:45 am

satter wrote:I don't seem to be able to do this in synch. If I put a trigger note on the first beat in a control clip, by the time the trigger reaches the destination clip it is to late and the clip launches out of synch.

Is there a way to put a negative delay on the track (the usual track delay does not seem to work in this case) or do I just need to send the trigger note in advance?

I'm using Macbook white and Live 8, sending the trigger notes over IAC.

/satter
Set the Launch Quantisation of the control clip to None.

Otherwise the Launch Quantisations are triggered in sequence, firstly for the control clip to launch, then for the destination clip to launch, resulting in the sort of synch problem you mention.
2.16GHz C2D Macbook Pro
OS X 10.6.5.
Live 7 (7.0.18)
M-Audio FireWire Audiophile
BCR2000

satter

Post by satter » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:09 am

Thanks for your suggestion, I didn´t get it to work though, still have the same problem.

I set the clip quantization of the control clip to None, global quantization is 1 bar and the the receiving clip quantization is set to Global. Then I activate the metronome and stop all clips.

When I start the control clip, which has a trigger note as 1.1.1 I have to wait 1 bar before the receiving clip starts. On changing the global quanization to None, there is still a lag, compared to the metronome.
Macbook 2 GHz Intel Core Duo, 4 GB memory, MacOS 10.6.7
Live 8.2.2, Max for Live 5.1.8