More control over editing automation points

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
alex_h

More control over editing automation points

Post by alex_h » Thu May 05, 2005 2:45 pm

When I'm using automation to control the tempo of playback, even if I stretch the automation channel to maximum and hold down ctrl to fine tune the movement it's still well difficult to hit an exact BPM. I always end up with something like 129.98 rather than 130bpm.

It would be handy if I could click on a point to select it and then enter the required bpm into a field somewhere via the keyboard.

Also, although I can hold down control to smoothly move a point vertically, as soon as I want to move it horizontally everything goes to pieces. It would be very useful if there were shortcut keys to lock movement to either horizontal or vertical, then holding control could work for fine movement in either dimension.

cheers!

Alex

benjarwar

Re: More control over editing automation points

Post by benjarwar » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:01 pm

Having the same issue here. The only workaround I've figured out is to first set the tempo in the upper left corner, then hit record while my "Mixer" and "Song Tempo" are selected in the device chooser of my Master track. This will record breakpoints for tempo on the integers.

I have the same problem though, if I ever want to move those breakpoints. Holding the CMD key doesn't help enough; the numbers still seem to skip a bit.

dazexus

Post by dazexus » Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 am

A way to get the BPM change to land on a grid line is to use the draw feature, click on the grid point where you want the change, turn off draw, then delete the extra points after the tempo change...again you cant always get a specific tempo with this.

Having tempo changes on the marker bar, the same way as you do time signatures, would be ideal!

Dan

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:04 pm

dazexus wrote:A way to get the BPM change to land on a grid line is to use the draw feature, click on the grid point where you want the change, turn off draw, then delete the extra points after the tempo change...again you cant always get a specific tempo with this.

Having tempo changes on the marker bar, the same way as you do time signatures, would be ideal!

Dan
that, or just adding a point and beeing able to rightclick that point to set an value.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:38 am

been requested for years. I'm not holding my breath for this ever being implemented.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:14 pm

Damn, got the same problem right now... tried to move a tempo automation from the begin of the song to the end and everything is fucked up. This is a major flaw if there is no workaround.

I've got tempo change for almost all the songs in my set, if I wanna add a song at the begin, im screwed, I have to correct all the tempo manually. 8O