midi CC on/off control

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
turok2step

midi CC on/off control

Post by turok2step » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:08 am

im trying to have the XY pad on my padKontrol turn on a control when its touched and turn off the control when the touch is released. the XY sends out two MIDI CC's, vertical and horizontal.

so just like you see the yellow button top right go on I would like to have the target control on/off (like device activator). any ideas?

thanks!
:D

zalo

Re: midi CC on/off control

Post by zalo » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:02 am

it should be sending a third one, check your editor program

there is a touch function that you could map to the on/off switch

turok2step

Post by turok2step » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:34 am

as far as i can tell there are 3 different sets of data coming from the XY touchpad. all are midi CC's. is there any way to rig up Ableton to get something like a note on/off from these? or, as a somewhat less ideal alternative, how could i use a change in any of the CC's to affect an on/off button?

I am using CovOp's PK-Squared software on my padKontrol, that fact may or may not be relevent.
:D

zalo

Post by zalo » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:05 am

there is no real reason to use note on/off for this the CC will work just fine, the trick is mapping it correctly to what you want

touch the corner of your xy pad while in midi map mode and click off of the controller without moving your finger

that should be the touch CC, now if you map that to the on/off switch of the effect, it should turn on when you touch the xy pad and turn back off when you release it, then map the x and y to 2 different controls by sliding your finger a long the x or y edge of the pad

this is the easiest method to map the xy pad to things in ableton that ive found