Live DJ's: nativeKONTROL apC Series Worth It?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ajargy

Live DJ's: nativeKONTROL apC Series Worth It?

Post by ajargy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Hi,

I DJ with Live and an APC 40 and I'm wondering: Is the nativeKONTROL apC Series worth the money?

I really would like to be able to select clips without using my mouse... It seems that the nativeKONTROL apC Series application really minimizes the use of your computer, but is it worth $25?

Please let me know what you think, THANKS!!! :mrgreen:

Ed J

Re: Live DJ's: nativeKONTROL apC Series Worth It?

Post by Ed J » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:30 pm

It was worth it at first for me (especially the drum pad thingy), but then on large sets it makes live make odd noises when I select clips, so I don't really use it live anymore.
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

Obvious Alias

Post by Obvious Alias » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:33 pm

Ed J wrote:It was worth it at first for me (especially the drum pad thingy), but then on large sets it makes live make odd noises when I select clips, so I don't really use it live anymore.
How large of a set do you mean when you say "on large sets"? I am also curious in the apC series, but what might be a large set for me could be a small set for you.

Thanks in advance!
I like cheese.

ajargy

Post by ajargy » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:39 pm

Do you mean that when you select a clip that is playing it makes a noise? That really sucks... The whole reason I'm interested in this app is to be able to select between a clip that is currently playing and a clip I'm bringing in... I would probably switch between 2 clips at least 3 times to mess with the EQ while bringing in new clips, so if its gonna make weird sounds when I do that I don't think I should buy the app... :(

Anyone know of any other way to select a clip using the APC40 without using the mouse or buying the nativeKONTROL app?

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:58 pm

If you're just selecting clips what's wrong w/ the default functionality?

FWIW I'm having the same issues w/ big sets and pops/clicks coming from moving the cursor w/ the application, though there may be a workaround. I'll post back if there is.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:23 pm

That's weird, the apc series is just a translator and doesn't have anything to do with the size of a live set. I would guess that because it only happens with a large set, that it's more likely that your computer is being pushed to the max (remember you do have an extra program running). I use the apc series all the time without seeing a change in my cpu meter, but then again I'm not running Live sets with thousands of songs in it. I use mine with song recording sessions with usually between 15- 30 tracks including vocal tracks.... no problems with that and my meter never goes above 15%.

deepdirtydub

Post by deepdirtydub » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:29 pm

Willyum wrote:That's weird, the apc series is just a translator and doesn't have anything to do with the size of a live set. I would guess that because it only happens with a large set, that it's more likely that your computer is being pushed to the max (remember you do have an extra program running). I use the apc series all the time without seeing a change in my cpu meter, but then again I'm not running Live sets with thousands of songs in it. I use mine with song recording sessions with usually between 15- 30 tracks including vocal tracks.... no problems with that and my meter never goes above 15%.
I also haven't had any odd behaviour that I could link to the Nativekontrol app. Its been nothing but kickass so far.

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Willyum wrote:I use the apc series all the time without seeing a change in my cpu meter
Ableton Live User Manual wrote:Note that the CPU meter takes into account only the load from processing audio, not other tasks the computer performs (e.g., managing Live’s user interface).

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:47 pm

AceLuby wrote:If you're just selecting clips what's wrong w/ the default functionality?

FWIW I'm having the same issues w/ big sets and pops/clicks coming from moving the cursor w/ the application, though there may be a workaround. I'll post back if there is.
Found the workaround. Apparently there is an issue if you set it up per the instructions w/ a Mackie control surface and APC40-DR control surface. I removed those and only had the APC40 up and the pops went away.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

Mehalic

Post by Mehalic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 8:13 pm

No issues to report here. I used it with a small live set (30mins, about 50-60 scenes) and it worked fine for me. I'm really digging the presets, very useful.
MM
Symbolic Studio's
K-DUB

SoundCloud Account

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:02 pm

AceLuby wrote:Apparently there is an issue if you set it up per the instructions w/ a Mackie control surface and APC40-DR control surface. I removed those and only had the APC40 up and the pops went away.
Think that's with anything using Mackie control. I had the same issues using my BCF-2000 in mackie mode that I didn't have using it non mackie. I had mine tucked away in a closet for a while til I upgraded my PC to quad-core, Now my BCF-2000 has new life again (I think Mackie Control is an intensive script in itself)

Michael Hatsis

Post by Michael Hatsis » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:12 pm

Definitely not the Native Kontrol stuff. I say it's Live 8. Just having the apc in stock mode with a smaller set ( 6 tracks, ~50 scenes ) makes Live pop when I just select a clip with the mouse. super annoying. never thought about it being the apc though, gonna try the set w/out the apc and see if it still acts up.