rescan midi inputs?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: rescan midi inputs?

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:52 pm

couldn't tell what was going on but I believe you.

wtf Ableton? all these years I blamed Windows. :(

thanks guys, I learned something new today. :D
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:17 pm

Tone Deft wrote:couldn't tell what was going on
I know, the original .mov file is nice and clear (but ~60mb) and youtube kind of messed it up during the conversion.
Basicly I held the cam left & right of the laptop to show nothings pluged in (thats all the black part) show reason's open, then plug in my remote zero sl click auto detect control surfaces and voila they're found.
wtf Ableton? all these years I blamed Windows.
Didn't know it was possible on macs, maybe its to even things out because win can run several copies of live simultaiously, rewired to each other, which OSX cant...?

marue

Post by marue » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:14 am

@tone deft

Really nice way to treat people you don't even know. Calling statements "most dumbest" is not a way to get good modd into a discussion. I explained to you why my first statement was not as dumb as you thought, i'm not going to explain my other statements. But with a little bit of thinking about it you should be able to sort it out.

@Dexes
thanks for the video. Looks like tone deft is at least believing you.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 9:21 am

traktor couldn't do it by itself for quite a while, but had it in an update of traktor 3, i think.

for a midi device, you have to manually disable and enable midi in traktor to get the device "heard" again. but while annoying, it's just a twice-doubleclick on the midi-input. at least the music can continue to play during that time.

i think it's very bad of ableton to not support this, so a big

+1

oh, and, blaming this on windows is so utter stupid, i mean.. it's plugged in with usb => obviously it has hotplug features like any usb device by default, and windows can detect a new device when plugged in => ableton could get that info and react on it (or just let it manually scan for devices with the help of a button).

this is obviously no problem of the os, and has no reason it should ever be.

i really hope ableton implements this once. i'm used to "starting the prog, loading the set, starting to plug everything in while we at least have sound" way to go. this works in traktor, but not in ableton.
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

marue

Post by marue » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:20 am

In the current traktor pro it's an automatic reconnect. No buttons to click.

But i agree. Even a manual rescan button would be better than what we have now.

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:23 am

marue wrote:In the actual traktor pro it's an automatic reconnect. No buttons to click.

But i agree. Even a manual rescan button would be better than what we have now.
yeah, thought so. but i can't use traktor pro yet as it lacks the features i use from traktor 3.. :(
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:36 am

Yes this is really important! Haven´t had that happen to me yet but if the controller is unplugged on stage I would be seriously in trouble.
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

IP

Post by IP » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:45 am

WTF +1

Dexes

Post by Dexes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:51 am

Tone Deft wrote: wtf Ableton? all these years I blamed Windows. :(
That reminds me of when USB was first introduced. M$ talking how great it is that you can just plug a device in an use it without restarting...
Then when the big show came to let everyone see how great it is, bill gates up on stage, hundereds of cameras pointed at him, plugs in a usb device...and windows crashes :mrgreen:

edit: here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55xqB_pLjlk

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:28 pm

marue wrote:@tone deft

Really nice way to treat people you don't even know. Calling statements "most dumbest" is not a way to get good modd into a discussion. I explained to you why my first statement was not as dumb as you thought, i'm not going to explain my other statements. But with a little bit of thinking about it you should be able to sort it out.

@Dexes
thanks for the video. Looks like tone deft is at least believing you.
wow.

anyway, I've been reading this forum for years and was lead to believe it was a Windows problem. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:52 pm

marue wrote:Push that. What's up with this? Is it possible to rescan midi devices in Lice on a PC?

If not - go for it Ableton. This is a serious leak in the otherwise excellent workflow of Live. And every other Software Firm is able to do it (ie. Native Instruments, Propellerheads, Steinberg and on and on).
Thanks for your valuable input and disregard the haters
KnobCloud - marketplace for audio software

marue

Post by marue » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:25 am

would be nice if a moderator could remove the "?" from the thread title and move it to the feature suggestions forum.

broc

Post by broc » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:01 pm

In my experience, there is also a problem with Macs.

It's true that Live recognizes dynamically if an input device is connected/disconnected.

HOWEVER, depending on your setup it may happen that the settings of existing ports are messed up by the change.
In this case, the only solution is to restart Live and re-adjust the preference settings.

The problem appears in particular when using Live together with other software that creates virtual ports, like eg. Max.
It has been confirmed and discussed on the Max forum.

marue

Post by marue » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:30 am

Is there a chance anyone of Ableton is going to react to this?