Maschine Vs Stylus RMX Vs Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
OvertoneZero

Re: Maschine Vs Stylus RMX Vs Ableton?

Post by OvertoneZero » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:13 pm

:arrow:

Ableton > Maschine > RMX

Ableton + Maschine > Ableton + RMX

Ableton + Maschine + RMX > All

danzel

Post by danzel » Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:19 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:I didn't say that.
shite!!! sorry, i've done that before and i just realised why.. i clicked the quote button underneath instead of above. doh!

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:26 pm

DrXparaMental wrote: Can Maschine be used at all as a multitimbral program in Live?
Yes, you can open multiple instances if that's what you mean. However there is no way to switch between the instance that the hardware is controlling, so I personally wouldn't do that. But there is no need really. It holds a hell of a lot of stuff in one instance (8 groups of 16 pads, each pad can be hit or loop)and also has multiple outputs.
Professional Shark Jumper.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:41 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
DrXparaMental wrote: Can Maschine be used at all as a multitimbral program in Live?
Yes, you can open multiple instances if that's what you mean. However there is no way to switch between the instance that the hardware is controlling, so I personally wouldn't do that. But there is no need really. It holds a hell of a lot of stuff in one instance (8 groups of 16 pads, each pad can be hit or loop)and also has multiple outputs.
No, not exactly, and please forgive my possible ignorance concerning the matter. What I mean is can you trigger multiple midi track extensions back to the root instance the same way Stylus or Sampletank does? Does it allow you to drag clips like Stylus does into these extensions, or to load samples in the root instance that the extension track's rhythmically trigger? Sorry if I'm not being clearer.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:39 pm

DrXparaMental wrote:
glitchrock-buddha wrote:
No, not exactly, and please forgive my possible ignorance concerning the matter. What I mean is can you trigger multiple midi track extensions back to the root instance the same way Stylus or Sampletank does? Does it allow you to drag clips like Stylus does into these extensions, or to load samples in the root instance that the extension track's rhythmically trigger? Sorry if I'm not being clearer.
Ah, I understand.

No it currently doesn't do that. There is simply too much midi data possible in Maschine. The only way currently possible to control in Maschine by a midi track is by sending program change in your clip/track to change entire scenes in Maschine (Patterns for all 8 groups). Like I said before the new 1.1 update will bring midi response so that patterns/scenes can be triggered by midi notes in a DAW track. I doubt it will ever be able to drop an entire pattern from Maschine into a sequencer though, because there 8 groups which each have 16 pads and the thing is, is that each pad can have a full chromatic sequence (Even though the most common thing to do is hold a single drum hit). So there are 128 possible midi tracks. I'm really not sure if it will ever be able to run those in a multi-timbral way from individual midi tracks. Could ableton even send 128 midi tracks to a single plug-in track? Dunno. I'll be plenty happy when midi notes can fire individual patterns, which isn't too far off.

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:06 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:Ah, I understand.

No it currently doesn't do that. There is simply too much midi data possible in Maschine. The only way currently possible to control in Maschine by a midi track is by sending program change in your clip/track to change entire scenes in Maschine (Patterns for all 8 groups). Like I said before the new 1.1 update will bring midi response so that patterns/scenes can be triggered by midi notes in a DAW track. I doubt it will ever be able to drop an entire pattern from Maschine into a sequencer though, because there 8 groups which each have 16 pads and the thing is, is that each pad can have a full chromatic sequence (Even though the most common thing to do is hold a single drum hit). So there are 128 possible midi tracks. I'm really not sure if it will ever be able to run those in a multi-timbral way from individual midi tracks. Could ableton even send 128 midi tracks to a single plug-in track? Dunno. I'll be plenty happy when midi notes can fire individual patterns, which isn't too far off.
Thanks very much for clearing this up. Unfortunately, I am presently unable to communicate with my truly great friend Tony who owns the Maschine. Talk about a guy that has "rolled with it" over the course of the last few years. One of the best, kindest and most talented musicians I have ever played with. The man is in the process of relocating with his wife to Vietnam. Man am I ever going to miss that guy. :cry:

At least there's the Internet.

starving student

Post by starving student » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:am - cool man. I agree it would be awesome to be able to control tempo and start from maschine in plug-in mode. It's just that as a plug-in, I'd never expect that. And the delete thing, ya it's always tricky with plug-ins about just how much they should steal keystrokes from a host. For example someone might have a key-command in a host they use all the time, and all of a sudden they realize it doesn't work with a certain plug-in open, which would be even worse than this scenario. I think generally Maschine is pretty smart with knowing when to take key input, for typing a track name for example, at which point delete does work. It's just not meant to for sequenced notes I guess. It could be worth suggesting on the Maschine forum though, who knows it might be possible. If not, there must be a good reason.

starving student wrote: Glitchrock how quick is the sampling of raw material + editing= meaning creating loops, truncating them, and slicing them up.

2. when slicing loops does it default to 16 slices or is it how ever many you want?

3. can you choose not to send the slices to the pads when you slice and can you load
the slices to any pad that you want?

4. can you have a different effect on each pad and can you use vst efx with-in maschine?

5. how easy is it to resample with effects with=in maschine

6. how easy is it to resample loops that you're playing from maschine into Live and through lives effects back into maschine (as a sample) so that you could slice samples with added live/vst effects?
Hey man,
1. Sampling is pretty quick I would say. Truncating is easy, you get a little graphic on the LCD or you can use the bigger one on the computer screen. It's as fast and easy as any software really.
2.Can't remember right now (Not at home and sorry I don't sample much).
3. Yes, you can either have a loop on a single pad in which case slices can be assigned over a chromatic keyrange (Every pad can be played pitched across the keyboard actually if it isn't sliced) or you can send slices to individual pads.
4.You can't use VST effects within Maschine, but it has quite good effects though. You can have 2 effects per pad, not including sends (you can route any pad to the master as well as to any two other pads, which can be used as send effects). You also get two effects for each group (there are 8 groups which each have 16 pads).
5.Easy.
6.Haven't done but that doesn't seem hard. Though you'd probably find most effects you're looking for inside Maschine. Even Grain Delay!
thanks alot GRB, last 2 questions is can you layer different samples on the same pad and does it have the simult function from the mpc?
I'm getting a little closer :lol:

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:22 pm

starving student wrote: thanks alot GRB, last 2 questions is can you layer different samples on the same pad and does it have the simult function from the mpc?
Yes you layer multiple samples on one pad, with velocity layering and kayrange (So it can actually sampler type instruments on each pad - it comes with a bunch of melodic sounds as well with multi-sampling).

What's simult function?

nowtime

Post by nowtime » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:40 pm

OvertoneZero wrote:
Ableton > Maschine > RMX

Ableton + Maschine > Ableton + RMX

Ableton + Maschine + RMX > All

I agree. Get Maschine first. Get RMX later.

I love Stylus. But the beats I've "made" never end up in my sets. It's best for an ornamental track of percussive filler-fun. And realtime control is off the charts. But for beats you need a drum machine. Drum Racks or Maschine or perhaps MPC. Drum Racks are too tiny and need too much scrolling and mousing (come on Akai/Abes - Maschine killer pleeze!). I've never played Maschine, but a "hardware" Battery plugin sounds kooool to me. 8)

db120

Post by db120 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 6:09 am

I played with Maschine at a local music store for an hour straight today, really getting in the zone without feeling like there was a learning curve. It felt much less Hackish than my current Guru/Padkontrol combo - I'm considering selling my APC actually....

Can you totally delete sounds from the Maschine library from the unit itself?

I know Maschine has some good onboard effects, but there are some "go to" vst effects I like to use.
Is it possible say to have a Maschine channel in Ableton with vst or ableton effects after it and quickly move back and forth between playing Maschine and controlling the vst/ ableton effects (with Maschine)

Anyone have opinions on if when Max for Live comes out there will be hacks for Maschine/Live?

Thanks!

musicmachine

Post by musicmachine » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:16 pm

db120 wrote:I played with Maschine at a local music store for an hour straight today, really getting in the zone without feeling like there was a learning curve. It felt much less Hackish than my current Guru/Padkontrol combo - I'm considering selling my APC actually....

I know Maschine has some good onboard effects, but there are some "go to" vst effects I like to use.
Is it possible say to have a Maschine channel in Ableton with vst or ableton effects after it and quickly move back and forth between playing Maschine and controlling the vst/ ableton effects (with Maschine)

Anyone have opinions on if when Max for Live comes out there will be hacks for Maschine/Live?

Thanks!
Have you seen the hacks for the apc40?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfcr0JraUk 8)
Dell Inspiron 1525|Live 8.03|Akai MPC1000|Waldorf Blofeld||NI AK1|Event TR8s|

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:57 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:
starving student wrote: thanks alot GRB, last 2 questions is can you layer different samples on the same pad and does it have the simult function from the mpc?
Yes you layer multiple samples on one pad, with velocity layering and kayrange (So it can actually sampler type instruments on each pad - it comes with a bunch of melodic sounds as well with multi-sampling).

What's simult function?
a glitch, simult function is when you program a pad to trigger when another pad is pressed, maybe you want a sequence that you resampled to be triggered everytime you hit the pad with a sub on it or whatever it may be. it's a great feature helps to be able to perform very intricate pieces on the mpc

db120

Post by db120 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:20 pm

musicmachine wrote:
db120 wrote:I played with Maschine at a local music store for an hour straight today, really getting in the zone without feeling like there was a learning curve. It felt much less Hackish than my current Guru/Padkontrol combo - I'm considering selling my APC actually....

Thanks!
Have you seen the hacks for the apc40?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfcr0JraUk 8)
Sure have, actually was one of the beta testers. I think it's very cool, but I'm at the point I just want to sit in a comfortable chair with guitar, mic, looping pedal, and Maschine (because of it's led screens) for beats - basically really tired of looking at computer screen and using mouse when making music.
If the led screens of Maschine could display live clips with some Max trickery / API I'd be all over it, anyone think that might be possible?

plearmusic

Post by plearmusic » Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:00 am

Can you guys please comment on the sound quality of each software?

A year ago, I was mainly using Battery 2 until I stumbled upon RMX. The quality of the sound banks and the ease of browsing made me change almost instantly and I've been producing wt Stylus extensively ever since.

A week ago, I bought Maschine out of impulse because I was amazed at the workflow capabilities of that software. However, I haven't open the box yet and I'm thinking of returning it.

If Maschine sounds anything like Battery 2, I don't want it! However, the new libraries might be 10x better...I don't know yet.

Anyone?

PL

DrXparaMental

Post by DrXparaMental » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:21 pm

plearmusic wrote:Can you guys please comment on the sound quality of each software?

A year ago, I was mainly using Battery 2 until I stumbled upon RMX. The quality of the sound banks and the ease of browsing made me change almost instantly and I've been producing wt Stylus extensively ever since.

A week ago, I bought Maschine out of impulse because I was amazed at the workflow capabilities of that software. However, I haven't open the box yet and I'm thinking of returning it.

If Maschine sounds anything like Battery 2, I don't want it! However, the new libraries might be 10x better...I don't know yet.

Anyone?

PL
Maschine & RMX are worlds apart in terms of design and implementation. However Maschine's audio output quality is impeccable as is RMX. You have to compare apples to apples. I don't think NI has anything in terms of software that inherently sounds bad, maybe you just don't care for the samples in Battery 2.Just saying possibly.