soundcard/mixer - single unit?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mersault

soundcard/mixer - single unit?

Post by mersault » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Anyone have any experience with these? I'm thinking of getting one exclusively for live shows. I'm also looking for one that's somewhat compact - Allen & Heath make some, but they all seem rather large to carry around for live shows. I could probably get away with 4 channels, but I'd rather have 6 or 8.

McQ714

Re: soundcard/mixer - single unit?

Post by McQ714 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:23 pm

how many outs do you need? i've got the edirol m-16 dx which is a usb 2.0 digital mixer/interface/controller. rackmount i/o with a separate mixer, decent quality, great features and the price on it has been slashed tremendously. i think it's going for $300 now at zZounds.com and it's a very small unit. about the size of a padKontrol.

mersault

Post by mersault » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:04 pm

Thanks for the response. I was unaware of that unit. It seems cool, but like a bit more than what I need - I wouldn't mind something smaller, but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of options. Can you route seperate outs from Live into the mixers individual channels? It looks like you can, but on so many of these type mixers, you can't.

zalo

Post by zalo » Sun Sep 13, 2009 5:35 am

i used to use a korg zero8 live, until it stopped working,

now i use an RME FF400 and a Lemur and do all my mixing inside live, using a mixer layout i created on the Lemur

i realized anything that a hardware mixer can do, Live can do, and to a bigger extent

get yourself a good sound card and something like a BCF2000, you are going to get a lot more flexibility out of that setup then you would from any mixer/soundcard set up

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:45 am

My musican's life has completly turned into magic on the day I bought a valuable external soundcard for my laptop.

I spent less than 100 euros on it and now I feel on keyboards like I feel when I play guitar:
NO LATENCY with audio and controlers, as It is with real analogic living instruments.

Behringer FCA202_ Firewire is the way
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/FCA202.aspx

I got the E-mu 0404, ok for home studio
[I can get a 5ms latency for recording synths but as soon as I charge with audio it's crap, I have to raise latency till 80ms]

SO not confident anymore with usb2.0 souncards, not full rewarding.

I was in need for a simple Left-Right ins and outs for playing outside at parties.
The FCA202 is marvelous and even with max latency [20ms] it rules like a charm

If you got money, you could try a firewire mixer_Lovely mixers for compo

Firewire for full enjoyable compo :wink: