New User Clip Automation Question

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
johnwhy

New User Clip Automation Question

Post by johnwhy » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:02 am

Just got Live and having an amazing time learning the features
and coming from cubase amazed at the stability, cubase used to blame 3rd party
plug-ins for crashes yet ableton handles them with ease...

I am getting to grip with automation envelopes and in the arrange view
but how do you record live 'knob' movements to clips in session view...?
(sorry if it's a dumb question)

john

Area593Studio

Re: New User Clip Automation Question

Post by Area593Studio » Fri Sep 18, 2009 4:38 pm

Hi,

When you have your clip open in the clip view at the bottom of the screen you will see a little "E" button at the bottom left of the clip view. When you click it the clip envelopes will become visible. You can then select which envelope you want to edit by clicking the "Pitch Bend", "Volume" or "Pan" buttons, or by using the two drop boxes above the buttons. While you have the clip's envelope editor open (even if you can't see it, IE if you are in the rack view) you can also click on the channel or effect parameter you want to edit, switch back to the clip view and it should be automatically selected in the drop boxes.

Happy automation :)
Ben Rosser
Ben Rosser's Coservatorium of Audio
http://conservatoriumofaudio.com
ben@conservatoriumofaudio.com
A world of hints, tips and techniques at your fingertips!

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:28 pm

johnwhy wrote:how do you record live 'knob' movements to clips in session view...?
(sorry if it's a dumb question)

john

Its not possible to directly record automation into session clips, as clip envelopes modulate the automation tracks/values in arrange to get around this you have to use a midi controller, setup another track with the input from the controller and output to a virtual midi port use this port as the input for remote control.Now you can record your midi knob movements before they get into the system.

This however is a pita as you have to have 2 tracks (made better with groups) also the undo history can easily get swamped with data.
I can't resist scowling at ableton for this everytime a new user finds this out I've been waiting since v4 to be able to record cc while I play was the first thing I tried/failed to do seems like such an essential feature for synthetic music :twisted:

Area593Studio

Post by Area593Studio » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:49 pm

I just double-checked, and I don't know what rig you are using Mr-Bit, but my MIDI keyboard combined with Live 8 does allow me to record MIDI CCs into the clip envelopes. I tried multiple CCs and they all worked, and all of the data ended up the the clip envelopes, and played back properly. The recording and playback both worked in the session and arrangement views.
Ben Rosser
Ben Rosser's Coservatorium of Audio
http://conservatoriumofaudio.com
ben@conservatoriumofaudio.com
A world of hints, tips and techniques at your fingertips!

Mr-Bit

Post by Mr-Bit » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:39 pm

Ahh yes recording midi directly into a clip works, I thought you wanted to record parameter automation :D

alanoia

Post by alanoia » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:49 pm

I was looking for an answer to this. As far as I can see, it's not possible to record automation of clip's envelope in session view. This can only be done when recording a track's automation in the arrangement. The draw tool must be used for editing session view clip envelopes :(

Edit: Found this in another post, it explain this well:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/feb09/a ... h_0209.htm

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:27 pm

WTF! Suddenly live is recording clip automation on Discovery Demo. Or something similar. Is there way to disable and enable this feature? I want to be just tweaking sounds for testing out this synth and now some parameters start jumping around like crazy. This happens just for some parameters wich is strange. I found the "E" menu and deleted all the envelopes, but how can i make this to not happen again?

Allso suddenly live found discoverys LFO1 rate control. I linked that to automap and it started showing on parameters list. Other controls are not doing this even after automapping. This could be a bug in the demo restrictions caused by the automap. Weird though :D

d_cooper

Post by d_cooper » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:02 am

This is exactly what I exprierienced? any idea how to fix this?