is live 8 le ever going to be released ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nathannn

is live 8 le ever going to be released ?

Post by nathannn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:14 am

some of us are broke here and can only come up with so many email accounts to use the demo.
also could you guys let people use more than 2 vst's and 2 vsti's??
maybe up it to four?
and more scene's than 8 maybe 16?

seriously live le is the most restricted le product out of every daw out there..
come on...

or you guys could lower the price of ableton altogether..

i was looking at pre sonus studio one and its only 199 and does not have any real restrictions that i could see other than that dont apply only to the mastering side of the software.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

R.A.W.

Re: is live 8 le ever going to be released ?

Post by R.A.W. » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:24 am

i can only say: save your money and buy the full version.

for the money for the upgrade to the full version i couldn't even get a decent hardware sampler 10 years ago (started making music in 1992 btw)...
ThinkPad T500,Core 2 Duo T9600 (2x2,8GHz)/3GB RAM/Radeon HD3650/FireWire 410/WinXP SP3 32bit
AMD Phenom II X4 3.2GHz/4GB RAM/GeForce GTX460/ESI U24 XL/Win7 x64
Ableton Live 8/energyXT2/APC40/MPKmini/LaunchPad/TriggerFinger
http://www.bitmud.com

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:34 am

R.A.W. wrote:i can only say: save your money and buy the full version.

for the money for the upgrade to the full version i couldn't even get a decent hardware sampler 10 years ago (started making music in 1992 btw)...
well its 2009
and software isnt hardware.
im sure the next arguement will o be it cost money to pay people to code.. and then my arguemnt will be look at reaper.
then some one will say.. why dont you just use reaper then.. and i will say.. cause i reaper sucks.
then it will go back to then just buy live.. and i will go back to.. it cost to much..
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

R.A.W.

Post by R.A.W. » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:39 am

tbh live doesn't cost much even in 2009. i work in the IT business and we sell licenses for another software for 3000 usd per user, and that doesn't even has as much features as live ;)
ThinkPad T500,Core 2 Duo T9600 (2x2,8GHz)/3GB RAM/Radeon HD3650/FireWire 410/WinXP SP3 32bit

R.A.W.

Post by R.A.W. » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:43 am

i just checked cubase (which i started with on the atari st ;)) and it's 599 euros still in the smallest usable version. i think live is very reasonable priced.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:49 am

R.A.W. wrote:tbh live doesn't cost much even in 2009. i work in the IT business and we sell licenses for 3000 usd per user...
do you work for adobe?
they are such rip offs.

i imagine the ceo of adobe at lunch being like.."mmm precious currency" and stuffing his face with a wad of money.

anyways
i really see no need for the price of software to be more expensive than the hardware used to run it.
video games are software. the average video game only cost around $50.
there are a few great daws for linux that are free.
there really is no need for company's to try and soak as much as they can out of there customers.

no computers or synths

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:51 am

R.A.W. wrote:i just checked cubase (which i started with on the atari st ;)) and it's 599 euros still in the smallest usable version. i think live is very reasonable priced.
well i dont think they are reasonably priced.. like i said.. reaper is $60.00 studio one le is $199.00 and is not crippled in the major way live le is.

no computers or synths

R.A.W.

Post by R.A.W. » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:29 am

well, i was just about to say "why don't you buy reaper then" but you already answered that... and software that doesn't suck has its price. ;)
i think we won't ever agree on that, but for me live is great value for the price and it's affordable for almost anyone. when you use lite versions that you get for free with many hardware products and use the upgrade options, you really don't have to pay a fortune.

and i don't work for adobe (though i agree on your opinion there about pricing ;)), i'm a consultant for IT service management systems, and those manufacturers make a lot of money by selling end-user licenses that cost almost 10 live licenses per user. ;)

Emissary

Post by Emissary » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:39 am

nathannn wrote:
R.A.W. wrote:tbh live doesn't cost much even in 2009. i work in the IT business and we sell licenses for 3000 usd per user...
do you work for adobe?
they are such rip offs.

i imagine the ceo of adobe at lunch being like.."mmm precious currency" and stuffing his face with a wad of money.

anyways
i really see no need for the price of software to be more expensive than the hardware used to run it.
video games are software. the average video game only cost around $50.
there are a few great daws for linux that are free.
there really is no need for company's to try and soak as much as they can out of there customers.
As much as i agree with you on the whole open source thing, yes it is very noble of them to create these things, and its humanity at its best and how the world should operate. But it doesn't, The dudes at ableton are capitalists plain and simple, they want to make money out of their ideas. Right or wrong its their decision, If you dont believe in capitalism ( I dont) then i suggest you watch a little film called zeigeist and sign up for the venus project (which i have) Otherwise join the rest of th capatilists get a job and buy a very reasonably priced product and quit the whine. Video games are cheap because they are mass market, ever heard of economies of scale?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:52 pm

The Euro and Pound do you guys in Europe in.

The full retail Cubase 5 is $499 US Dollars in the USA (and about 30 CDN$ more in Canada). Which is 340 euros at today's exchange rate.Or 306 quid for Brits.

But is that the cost to you guys in Europe. Nooooo. Cubase 5 is 445 pounds sterling and 511 euros at Thomann.

So Ableton Live, especially the Suite at 849 dollars, which equates to 521 UK pounds and 577 euro. And you guys can get it for 546 pounds and 625 euros, which is close to what we pay, as opposed to many companies like Steinberg who offer their product significantly cheaper to North America.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:32 pm

nathannn wrote:some of us are broke here and can only come up with so many email accounts to use the demo.
multiple e-mail accounts to use the demo and spam the forum with alter-nicks?

maybe up it to four?

seriously live le is the most restricted le product out of every daw out there..
come on...

i was looking at pre sonus studio one and its only 199 and does not have any real restrictions that i could see other than that dont apply only to the mastering side of the software.
this is feedback to Ableton that they're priced in exactly the right spot with a exactly the right product. you're hooked and regardless of the price you're going to use Live. you're a fish on the line waiting to be reeled in. pwnt.

sucks to be in that position. what version are you on? do you really need Live 8? it's nice to have the latest toys but don't sweat it, the previous versions work too.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
nathannn wrote:some of us are broke here and can only come up with so many email accounts to use the demo.
multiple e-mail accounts to use the demo and spam the forum with alter-nicks?

maybe up it to four?

come on...

this is feedback to Ableton that they're priced in exactly the right spot with a exactly the right product. you're hooked and regardless of the price you're going to use Live. you're a fish on the line waiting to be reeled in. pwnt.

sucks to be in that position. what version are you on? do you really need Live 8? it's nice to have the latest toys but don't sweat it, the previous versions work too.

i have had two nick names on this forum.. i think the first was nnnn.. and i used it between 2005-2006 then lost the password.. after that i created this nick name..

i have been using a crack of live for a long time with a license to only live lite... there... you have it.... crack... a big fat crack...
i dont like using a crack.. i feel really guilty for it..
its embarrassing. to admit. but ... why lie..
by the end of the year i want to own a full legit copy. i will probably buy it used though..
right now i have other things that need serious financial attention first..

that said i dont release anything i make with live. nor use it to play live. but i will once i own it..

also if anyone ever wanted to know why people still use cracks here is the reason..
cost.. if you have to pay other things that are essential for you to live and you only make enough money to go to school and barely live, you cant really justify buy a piece of software.. even though you feel like crap for not buying it.

well thats pretty much it .. i cant think of another reason why people use cracks.

im sure some one will try to mention the edu discount but, i dont go to school for music.

if ableton would release a le verion of 8 with a little less restrictions i would buy it today..
but since they are not releasing it i will have to wait till i can get the money..

im sure some one else will say well stop using live until you get the money... i have really been considering just using renoise..

no computers or synths

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:03 pm

cracks are a compelling argument. Ableton knows people use them, it's part of the game. raise the price too much and people use cracks and might think a crack's poor performance reflects Live's performance. this probably also means fewer sales.

lower the price too much and you loose money.

"im sure some one will try to mention the edu discount but, i dont go to school for music."
I don't think you need to go to school for music to get that discount.

maybe you can go to KVR and post to buy an older version of Live, surely someone there uses another DAW and could sell Live 6 or 7 cheap.

hang tight, at least it sounds like you're not blowing your money on music software in lieu of paying for stuff you really need.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz