The Covert Operators: The Operator Sandbox

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Rahlo

Re: The Covert Operators: The Operator Sandbox

Post by Rahlo » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Nick the Zombie wrote:
Rahlo wrote:Wow, expanding your horizons, hunh Nick!! Cool man! I'll check it out and mos def support!
Much appreciated! I hope all is going well down in Indy, we should hang out some time.
Dude, just hit me with a time that's good for you, and I'll roll up your way, no problem!! At this point, mid October works for me!
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Cool, I'll hit you through PM when I get some time.

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:24 pm

I've been playing with this package for a while now. It has a lot of very clean, crisp, punchy operator sounds. Some are simple presets, others are in complex racks. Each sound is invoked through a live set made up of many clips. The clips show typical loops to display the sound as well as linked and unlinked modulation envelopes in the clips. All of the operator sounds exemplify considerable knowledge and skill of the device. There are lots of breakpoints in the clip envelopes to adjust the changes easily.

My own particular style of composing does not use clips like this as I don't use looping at all. I put all my modulations in the arrangement view. And I rarely get involved with beats. (Yes, I guess I'm not a typical Live user, but who is?)

There are some vocoder implementations in here that require some careful investigation for the experimenter as well as some frequency shifter hijinks. Most of the delays that I looked at had their option set to 'Fade' - try changing to 'RePitch' for some extra surprise. I wish this option were on the device panel and not in the menu so it could be modulated. But I suppose this alters the structure of the internal delay lines in such a way as to not be modulatable.

This package will appeal to those folks out there that like to use clips as their main compositional form.

I have yet to get deeply into some of Live 8's new devices, these racks demonstrate some possibilities. I'm looking forward to the tutorials Andreas mentioned.

I guess from the demo sets we can get an idea of the three operatives style and which parts they may have done in this collaboration. We know Nick is the green one, the other's...?

elxicano

Post by elxicano » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:37 pm

Just got to add that it won't *just* appeal to those that use clips.

I picked this up primarily as a learning tool. I'm the type that likes to read first, then get my hands on things, then working in reverse to see how it was created and then begin creating with a whole new palette of ideas. This at least was my appeal to the product as for me it's a hands on experimentation of new ideas. I love stuff like this.

And I should add, that the sounds are very usable, so it definitely will appeal to anyone wanting Clips (but not only) or more properly described as Live Clips with bawlz. :mrgreen:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:45 pm

arachnaut wrote:We know Nick is the green one, the other's...?
I have dibs on yellow :)

Thanks for the great comments guys!

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 pm

elxicano wrote:... then working in reverse to see how it was created and then begin creating with a whole new palette of ideas...
Yes, reverse engineering the covops stuff is definitely worthwhile.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:30 pm

arachnaut wrote:
elxicano wrote:... then working in reverse to see how it was created and then begin creating with a whole new palette of ideas...
That is indeed part of the point here - we don't want to do canned sounds, so we've done something that even the novice can dive into and alter around as they see fit... and of course use the midi info with another instrument and vice versa.

I love the concept of these Presets+Clips packs, since you get *real* insight into what the hell is going on in our heads when we do sound design - I think that's a valuable thing to have, especially in a drag-and-drop capacity.

We've had some great discussions on the merits of sound design in general in our little troup, I certainly hope that debate continues as we move on to our next (and awesome!) project.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:03 pm

Machinate wrote:
arachnaut wrote:
That is indeed part of the point here - we don't want to do canned sounds, so we've done something that even the novice can dive into and alter around as they see fit... and of course use the midi info with another instrument and vice versa.

I love the concept of these Presets+Clips packs, since you get *real* insight into what the hell is going on in our heads when we do sound design - I think that's a valuable thing to have, especially in a drag-and-drop capacity.

We've had some great discussions on the merits of sound design in general in our little troup, I certainly hope that debate continues as we move on to our next (and awesome!) project.
Yep, big +1 on this. I think sample libraries have plenty of merit, but it's also important to combine the concept of library with that of a teaching tool for those who might benefit.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:50 pm

One of the Operators is home sick, so there's been a bit of a delay on the videos. But we have a cool video for you today. Its more of a tip than a product video, so if transposing Live Clips is new to you, than you will enjoy this video.

http://www.thecovertoperators.org/Video ... sing-clips