anybody got an Akai LPD8

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
blackboab

anybody got an Akai LPD8

Post by blackboab » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:29 pm

Very cheap, reliable and ultraportable gizmo that would suit any laptop DJ's bag, or, cheap flaky piece of shit that should never have seen the light of day?

Anybody got one? Anybody tried one?

http://www.akaipro.com/lpd8

Looks good to me coz it has knobs and pads on the same very small bus powered unit.

Kodama

Re: anybody got an Akai LPD8

Post by Kodama » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:56 pm

I'm gonna get one, don't think they are shipping yet...

I also love my NanoPad to death, portable XY and 12 pads...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:12 pm

nanoPAD and nanoKONTROl are definitely clutch. Never used the AKAI but it looks cool..

the nanoPAD would've been a lot cooler if they went with 8 pads and then maybe 2 faders or 4 knobs in the place of the extra 4 pads..

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:10 pm

True, but I think that 12 pads + XY = a unique instrument in its own right, more versatile for non-drum instruments...
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:54 am

Ordered mine in June, still waiting....New powered usb hub waiting patiently....

Heard some horror stories about the pads on the nano so decided to wait for the LPD8 with the snazy orange lights and proper akai pads...

And its cheaper too... :)

hiphopdontstop

Post by hiphopdontstop » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:13 pm

FWIW, my Nanopad's pads DIED on me after only a few months... the bottom row. Top row still fine. Bottom row - dead. Some take 5 hits to trigger one hit. And I've never been rough with it.

At first, the Nanopad was great. Easy, small, make beats in the car on a roadtrip (which I did, while plugging the power supply into a converter). Then, a few weeks later, dead pads.

the XY thing is fun, but if the pads don't work, what's the point?

I usually love Korg stuff... I own a PadKontrol which rules.... but that Nano crapped out on me... and from what I've read online, it's happened to other people, too.

rosti

Post by rosti » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:34 am

Wow! I was going to get the nanopad, but it seems i have to wait for this to come up and make my decision then.
I need some proper pads because ones on my Remote SL suck.

Any ideas when this will be shipping? :)

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:18 pm

Just taken delivery of the LPD8.

Only had five mins during my lunch break tho seems ok and looks good.

Pads nice and Akai-ish, very responsive - rotaries feel a bit flimsy tho and not that tactile, ppl with big fingers will have trouble.

Maps with drum racks instantly though couldnt get impulse to work?

(Any ideas why that is? Went into midi map mode and the impluse pads don't appear to be active?)

Pads backlight orange when triggered - Dont think it recives midi data for visual feedback (which is a shame as would make a great monome-ey type thing)

Give it some bashment laters... :D