Please Clarify changelog

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ShaneHazleton

Please Clarify changelog

Post by ShaneHazleton » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:08 pm

When using the APC40 Controller surface script, we check if the selection MIDI ports are the one from the APC40

What does this mean? We do not wish to break Max i/o controller extension over midi yolk or the like. As long as the sysex query and response is satisfied to an actual APC40 then ANY port, such as midi yolk with the APC40 connected through Max, should work. I'm not sure if a dynamic or static method is used but checking to make sure "USB Aduio Device" or "APC40" is the port on mac or vista and higher is not necessary and will anger users extending their APC40s.

Shane - Akai

Tone Deft

Re: Please Clarify changelog

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:12 pm

does the APC show up as a midi port in max? I assume you mean max/msp?

there's more than midi control to the APC, there's the 'secret handshake' which will make it more difficult for third parties to make competing controllers.

I think passing the APC commands through regular midi software will strip off the 'secret handshake' stuff.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

ShaneHazleton

Post by ShaneHazleton » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:47 pm

I'm looking for someone at Ableton to respond please. A definitive answer.

Ed J

Post by Ed J » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:36 am

ShaneHazleton wrote:When using the APC40 Controller surface script, we check if the selection MIDI ports are the one from the APC40

What does this mean? We do not wish to break Max i/o controller extension over midi yolk or the like. As long as the sysex query and response is satisfied to an actual APC40 then ANY port, such as midi yolk with the APC40 connected through Max, should work. I'm not sure if a dynamic or static method is used but checking to make sure "USB Aduio Device" or "APC40" is the port on mac or vista and higher is not necessary and will anger users extending their APC40s.

Shane - Akai
Midi Yolk? that's a good one. All eggy and stuff.

If you were genuinely from akai and genuinely wanted someone from ableton to respond, surely email would be a better medium for a technical question, not these forums, which are more for inane babbling and general idiocy?

Oh, and for what it's worth, 8.0.5 didn't break the nativeKONTROL APC patch, which doesn't use the APC ports, and the APC should never pop up as a USB audio device anyways, as it has no sound components. silly.
Some stuff, and some other stuff. Honest.
Currently on a huge and mostly pointless promotion drive, come play:
Soundcloud!
Facebook!!
Twatter!!!

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:43 am

ShaneHazleton wrote:I'm looking for someone at Ableton to respond please. A definitive answer.
i believe you can wait forever.

see what tone responded.

Don't be a fool, they need to protect their product.

Otherwise you will have hundreds of taiwan placebos around.
*** Image GAFM ***

Post by 4.33 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:27 pm

ShaneHazleton wrote: Shane - Akai
FAIL.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:29 pm

SubFunk wrote:
ShaneHazleton wrote:I'm looking for someone at Ableton to respond please. A definitive answer.
i believe you can wait forever.

see what tone responded.

Don't be a fool, they need to protect their product.

Otherwise you will have hundreds of taiwan placebos around.
As opposed to the Malaysian real deal :D

Friedemann

Post by Friedemann » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:40 pm

Hi,

the cited change-log entry is misleading and should have read:

"Control surfaces from the MPD-Series could have mistakenly been identified as APC 40"

Best, Friedemann
Friedemann Schautz
schautz@ableton.com

ShaneHazleton

Post by ShaneHazleton » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:05 pm

Friedemann:
Thanks for clarification! Can the release note be editied to avoid future confusion?

Everyone else:
I actually did get the answer through here faster than email... but I will agree that "inane babbling and general idiocy" (ED J) do seem to rule most of the responses. It's unfortunate that software that inspires such good feeling and creativity can foster the same sort of egocentric chain dissing that plagues just about every other thread on the internet. Can you imagine if all interactions in life were voiced to people just looking for any way to tear you down just for ego gratification? Bigging up someone or helping them ultimately is so much more gratifying... What's especially frustrationg is I'm asking Ableton for the benefit of the user experience. That's you! So it's rediculous to have people throw out all these perjoratives when they don't know but assert their assumptions like fact. It lowers one's faith in people, and such a niche community of them... biting the hand that feeds.

FYI, yes I do work at Akai. I thought letting an Ableton forum moderator know would give me a faster response time and it's not like everyone knows everyone at our companies.

ED J:
"USB Audio Device" is the class compliant midi port name for Windows XP and earlier. Vista, Windows 7, and Mac will show the actual name of the device. It's not intuitive I know, calling it an "audio device", but that's Windows doing not ours!

Tone Deaf: Yes APC40 will show up as a midi DEVICE in Max, but you must use a software midi i/o on windows to then talk to Live. On a Mac nice virtual IAC (inter application communication) midi ports can be instantiated and used. These options will grow when Max for Live drops.

SubFunk: Of course we will continue to protect our product, but I wanted to make sure it wasn't getting unnecessarily restrictive. Although there may not be too many Max users (YET!!) on the forums, or perhaps other users who extend http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKrRoVKHCg
the APC40 with other software, I wanted to ensure that the possibilites reamin open.

Enjoy your controllers!

Shane

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:08 pm

thanks for the feedback shane.

FWIW I thought your blowing off my post was rather rude. you might want to tend to your own backyard before you go criticizing others. thanks for finally answering my question, I should have e-mailed Ableton or Cycling 74, I would have received it faster.
:P
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

ShaneHazleton

Post by ShaneHazleton » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Tone Deft:
Sorry I think I was trying to avoid all the other extraneous stuff that followed. Also we don't like to talk about the "secret"... your trying to elaborate on what it does would have led me to talking about it more... which is what I started to do before I entered my post.. trying to respond to yours, but then realized I should not so I deleted what I wrote before and sent what you saw. So I didn't mean to blow you off, I just am not supposed to talk about those questions. I could have answered the Max question you're right. It looks like everything is all good though now just a confusing wording.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:36 pm

ahh, I didn't take the -Akai part of your post that seriously. I'd think you could just call them up but the business world in real life is always different than what people on forums make it out to be.

'sall good, just some interweb babble. :D

great work on the APC btw.

cheers!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz