Myspace or Dedicated Webpage?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Beatport

Myspace or Dedicated Webpage?

Post by Beatport » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:52 pm

I used myspace quite a bit during its first few years and I've gotten some gigs from it. In the past few years I've veered away from myspace though as it gets inundated with spam and looks unprofessional. Now I'm really starting to push myself and revamping my whole persona as an artist. I see that most bands/djs etc don't even have a dedicated web page and just use myspace.

I'm wondering if I should even put in the effort to build a custom dedicated website to my music, or is myspace really the only thing you need these days?

Hidden Driveways

Re: Myspace or Dedicated Webpage?

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:54 pm

I think www.beatport.com is taken.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:21 pm

I think it's super duper important to own your site and have a few of the socials pointing to it.

You need to grab as much internet realestate as you can. imo

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:26 pm

If you start to get popular, you're going to want to own the domain for your project anyway. The sooner you take care of this, the better.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:41 pm

+1 on getting your own site, and as soon as possible. Myspace and the like are only one tool, a professional (or at least personal) looking website I've found to be much more effective. PLus, then you have the option of posting audio in any format you want, and not the crap Myspaze forces on you. I have music up on all the major sites (except Myspace, because I've been banned for life for some reason???), but my own website is always what I consider the most important and up to date.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:45 pm

knotkranky wrote:I think it's super duper important to own your site and have a few of the socials pointing to it.

You need to grab as much internet realestate as you can. imo
This depends on how serious you are and how much effort you put into your dedicated site. I've seen plenty of dedicated sites that the artist put in very little effort and just linked to social networking sites. That's lame. Don't have a dedicated site if it's nothing more than a link farm.

knotkranky

Post by knotkranky » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:52 pm

^ yes, good clarification. My site is mecca and all my other social sites funnel to it.

It really may be that to get serious about the web it's necessary to work more than two pretty hard at minimum.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:11 pm

i also think it's much better to have your own and use myspace, bandcamp, or whatever else... as a sort of spidernet pointing to yours, i don't have my own, though... i only use myspace and soundcloud for a little better audio handling.
only drawback if you use several, is the amount of work and time always updating them...
*** Image GAFM ***

slowdancer

Post by slowdancer » Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:45 pm

you could always just setup a wordpress or blogpost blog, and redirect your domain name to it. that's what i did. i actually had wordpress put on the domain itself...same thing, blah blah blah.

------------
sleetWalker
http://www.myspace.com/sleetwalker
http://www.sleetwalker.com
http://twitter.com/sleetwalker

Rattmouth

Post by Rattmouth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:27 pm

I agree 100% with Slowdancer. Set up a Wordpress page (possibly re-skinning one of the themes with your own graphics), then integrate SoundCloud into it.

More info on that... http://blog.soundcloud.com/2009/08/13/s ... tegration/

That is by far the fastest and easiest way to get your music onto your own web site.

--Matt

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Tarekith wrote:except Myspace, because I've been banned for life for some reason??
its cuz you're just that good.

+ 1 on get your domain sooner rather than .... later (or never)
+ 1 on I think beatport.com is taken. you might be able to get .net or .org for cheap though.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31 am

Not good, they always just say I violated their terms even though I never have, and they refuse to clarify WHICH terms I violated. Weird, though I'm really not bothered by it tnh.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:56 am

^I don't think that myspace should be discounted yet... but its getting dusty. There are plenty of other options.

however, it can't hurt.
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

sunaivod

Post by sunaivod » Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:05 am

It's still important to have myspace I think, because many people still have the habbit to type in myspace.com/xxartistxxx etc
although I think it's getting less and less popular since last year

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:01 pm

Tarekith wrote:Not good, they always just say I violated their terms even though I never have, and they refuse to clarify WHICH terms I violated. Weird, though I'm really not bothered by it tnh.
You must of pissed Rupert Murdoch off. Did you step on his shoe in the club?