Novation SL MK 2, is upgrade from SL worth it?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Novation SL MK 2, is upgrade from SL worth it?

Post by rikhyray » Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:59 am

What might look better or worse on paper might be different in real "Live". The "lost" display, going for either too big or too small (37 keys are my fav)on other hand all the components feel better. Even if I spend hours at a store it cant compare to actual user experience. Will appreciate some opinions, most valuable will be from those who know both SL and SL MK2

v00d00ppl

Re: Novation SL MK 2, is upgrade from SL worth it?

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:47 pm

stick to the regular sl unless you really need the fatar keybed/keys....the display on the sl is so much better.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sat Sep 26, 2009 4:28 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:stick to the regular sl unless you really need the fatar keybed/keys....the display on the sl is so much better.
The keys are the same- they always used Fatar, MK2 pads are a bit better- usable, but not as good as Akai LPD8 that I got yesterday
I just wanted to know if there is something, I dont know about, that really makes the upgrade worth.

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Sat Sep 26, 2009 6:24 pm

whoa...i didn't know that both use fatar......then nothing really......keep your current setup and blow your money on something else then.
SSL X Desk / Apollo Twin Solo / Sherman Restyler / Ensoniq EPS Classic / Analog Keys / Handsome Audio Zulu

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:18 pm

hi,

i owned a remote sl 37(mk1)for about a year,and a remote sl 25 mk2 about two days before i returned it to the store.

regarding the mk2's:

-endless encoders aren't detented anymore(which is good)
-led rings around the encoders and led buttons DON'T work in ableton mode,only when using automap.
-keyboard felt a little stiffer but in a good way.
-touchpad is horrible and reacts too slow(same as mk1)
-knobs below the encoders are horrendous,very stiff,totally useless!
-pads are better but still suck major!
-faders are a little smoother and are a little lifted above the surface,so they have less surface resistance.
-couldn't get used to only one screen.stupid decision in my opinion:they ADD visual feedback with all the led's,but LOSE it by ditching the second lcd screen.
-still feels plasticky.
-looks much better than the mk1 though.

but seriously,try it out yourself.
different tools for different people.

i have an axiom pro 49 right now,really love that......

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:44 pm

I have a novation SL original. If I had the option between the two I would still go for the original. Absolute bone head move to take away one LCD screen.
Professional Shark Jumper.

stutter

Post by stutter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:57 pm

I removed the detent from my 61SL mk1, but in such an amateur way that the encoder's are a bit loose now, and don't react 100% reliably. Oops. Removing an lcd screen is I imagine a cost decision, but they should have lfet it, added the lcd encoder rings, and increased the price another £20

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:03 am

33tetragammon wrote:hi,

i owned a remote sl 37(mk1)for about a year,and a remote sl 25 mk2 about two days before i returned it to the store.

regarding the mk2's:

-endless encoders aren't detented anymore(which is good)
-led rings around the encoders and led buttons DON'T work in ableton mode,only when using automap.
-keyboard felt a little stiffer but in a good way.
-touchpad is horrible and reacts too slow(same as mk1)
-knobs below the encoders are horrendous,very stiff,totally useless!
-pads are better but still suck major!
-faders are a little smoother and are a little lifted above the surface,so they have less surface resistance.
-couldn't get used to only one screen.stupid decision in my opinion:they ADD visual feedback with all the led's,but LOSE it by ditching the second lcd screen.
-still feels plasticky.
-looks much better than the mk1 though.

but seriously,try it out yourself.
different tools for different people.

i have an axiom pro 49 right now,really love that......
Had similar impression about the faders and pads, bit better but not much. So no "hidden" virtues not obvious on the first sight.
Thanks everyone, your opinions are valuable indeed..

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:45 am

stutter wrote:I removed the detent from my 61SL mk1, but in such an amateur way that the encoder's are a bit loose now, and don't react 100% reliably. Oops. Removing an lcd screen is I imagine a cost decision, but they should have lfet it, added the lcd encoder rings, and increased the price another £20
i think the decision to lose the lcd screen was because they couldnt get it to be bus powered if they kept it. plus they're trying to get people to use the automap 3 GUI instead of the LCD screen

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:43 am

blah, the automap gui gets in the way...

I have a question for mkII owners: Is there any way yet to go straight to a page in an automap template. My only real beef now with my big templates is that sometimes I have to hit the up/down buttons many times to get to the page I want. It would cool if there was a page select button, which you could hold and then hit one of the other buttons to get to a page directly.

condra

Post by condra » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:38 am

It's a close call IMO but I prefer the MkII.

The keys feel a bit more chunky/sturdy to me. Maybe it's just because it's new.
The bottom row of rotaries are very stiff and slow, but that's ideal for certain things!

The deal-breaker for me is the LEDs. The visual feedback from the rotaries is great for live/dj stuff. I hate endless rotaries UNLESS they have LEDs.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:35 am

33tetragammon wrote:-led rings around the encoders and led buttons DON'T work in ableton mode,only when using automap.
Say it ain't so! :?

The LED rings was one of the main reasons I upgraded (the other being the pads). But I haven't been able to spend much time with it yet. Hoping there's a workaround...
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

Bongsau

Post by Bongsau » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:51 am

I agree with Condra. I've just grabbed a Mk2 Zero after using a Mk1 version for a couple of years and it is an improvement, but only just.

I don't use Automap too much as I mainly use Live for DJing so prefer to design my own layouts. So this means I now have longer, nicer feeling faders and non detented encoders with visual feedback. Even so, the single screen is still a PITA even with templates I am very familiar with as it's not always easy to touch a controller to update the display when tweaking other kit etc.

I obviously can't comment on the keys but the LED lit buttons are extremely useful, especially for my Machinedrum template, as visual feedback of muted tracks is great. I also prefer the feel of the lower row of knobs but that'll come down to personal preference, much like your overall experience with any controller.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:10 pm

robbmasters wrote:
33tetragammon wrote:-led rings around the encoders and led buttons DON'T work in ableton mode,only when using automap.
Say it ain't so! :?

The LED rings was one of the main reasons I upgraded (the other being the pads). But I haven't been able to spend much time with it yet. Hoping there's a workaround...
Keep in mind this thread is over a year old and for some reason was just resurrected. That issue has since been addressed I believe.

I currently have an SL61 mkI and an SL25 mkII, and in general I still prefer the mkI. The smooth encoders with LED rings are great on the mkII, but the single screen is really a downer. I may even ditch the mkII.

condra

Post by condra » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:06 pm

Typical of Novation to get things really right and really wrong at the same time.

Anyway, between Automap, hypercontrol and whatever else, I'm starting to think I won't be truly happy with software control until I have a true touchscreen Mac, with software designed with touch screens in mind.