Can we use a set created on a PC on a MAC?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
COSM

Can we use a set created on a PC on a MAC?

Post by COSM » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:25 am

Hi all, we are currently in Canada and have a gig this friday. Our laptop died last night but we have our set saved on DVD. A friend has offered to lend us his powerbook for the gig. Will the set work 100% like it would on our PC laptop? and can anyone give me a heads up on anything that might be different or whatnot because we get the laptop at 9 and the gig is at 12 so its gonna be all go!!

Thanks!

-Tom
www.cosm.co.nz

+1

Post by +1 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:51 am

Yes, if you didn't use vst vsti and you saved the live set as "self contained" and copied both the <yourliveset>.als file and the <yourliveset> Sounds folder to the DVD

Cheers

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Fri Feb 18, 2005 5:16 am

what he said...

have a good gig COSM kids!!

spread tha mainland vibes to the northerners! :D :D :D

paddy
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

Petteri Karjalainen

Post by Petteri Karjalainen » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:51 am

just a little warning .. I made a set with a pc laptop using only ableton fx and then on the performance night I moved the set over to my mate's Ibook G4 and the set basically could not be played as it was because it brought the Ibook on its knees. so basically 1 hour prior to palaying I had to totally redo my set.. Not to say that macs are worse ..just watch out..

hope everything will go well.
Ableton Live 2->
Macbook C2D 2.0ghz/4gb ram
RME Fireface 400
Ambient Sequencer AS-606

Frank Hoffmann

Post by Frank Hoffmann » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:39 am

+1 wrote:Yes, if you didn't use vst vsti
That is not true. Obviously you can't use Audio Units, but cross platform VSTi are supported by Live. Unfortunately many VSTi doesn't support that. This is out of our control.

Frank
Frank Hoffmann
hoffmann@ableton.com

+1

Post by +1 » Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:43 pm

Frank Hoffmann wrote:
That is not true. Obviously you can't use Audio Units, but cross platform VSTi are supported by Live. Unfortunately many VSTi doesn't support that. This is out of our control.

Frank
Well I wouldn't bet money on the fact that the Vsti's was saved on the DVD or that both users have the same Vsti's ??? THeir laptop broke down so they couldn't copy the vsti's

Maby what Frank should do is to read the post and tell the guys how they manage to find/buy the vsti's and get them working on a platform they (maby) don't know that well in 2-3 hours (They get the laptop at 9 and the gig is at 12)

DAms !!

I was trying to give them answer that might help them instead of telling them about the features of Ableton

COSM

Post by COSM » Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:37 pm

Its all good guys our sets are completly sample based (with the execption of the hardware synths)

Thanks for the heads up!

Cheers Paddy, we'll ooze the kiwi vibe all over these Canucks :P

COSM

Post by COSM » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:08 am

AAAh what a disaster. Everything that possible could go wrong leading up to the set was bung. We couln't network up the computers fast enough to transfer the set and samples so we Took the bung laptop and crossed our fingers. When we got there we had an area the size of two CDJ100s an a pioneer 600 ended up dragging bar tables and stuf over to set up on. To top it off the dace floor was completly packed. Shittour selfs we started the set and amazingly it went perfect, after the first 10 minuts of freaking out we got right into it an I put my new Micron to the test. Everything was good...played psy trance for ages then a bit of breaks but the people didn't seem to like that. Then god help us the laptop locked up about 45 minuts into it...the set keeped playing but I couldn't do anything so I whipped out some CDs and managed to do a nice mix out of the bung computer. I then proceeded to do a dj set for the rest of it.

Its good, its made our pa lots more experienced jhheheheh an d lots of the canadian peeps came up and commented positivley so yay.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:19 pm

Are you staying on this continent for a while, or are you headed back to the pacific?

COSM

Post by COSM » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:59 am

I am back in kiwiland now but my partner hannah is still over there trying to score some more gigs....

jamief

Post by jamief » Sat Feb 26, 2005 12:13 pm

+1 wrote:
Frank Hoffmann wrote:

Frank
Well I wouldn't bet money on the fact that the Vsti's was saved on the DVD or that both users have the same Vsti's ??? THeir laptop broke down so they couldn't copy the vsti's

Maby what Frank should do is to read the post and tell the guys how they manage to find/buy the vsti's and get them working on a platform they (maby) don't know that well in 2-3 hours (They get the laptop at 9 and the gig is at 12)

DAms !!

I was trying to give them answer that might help them instead of telling them about the features of Ableton
Hoi
leave it out. your being a bit cheeky and small minded there. Franks comments have merit and such interactive support from software developers in still very rare these days. It needs encouragment not berating !
So wise up and lay off
You are coming across as very ungratefull 8O

frank thanks fof your comments i am going cross platform soon and its good to know that vsti's can be saved within a set and used on mac or pc.

cheers