APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
EddieJ

Re:

Post by EddieJ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:58 am

ajargy wrote:QUESTION!!! 8O

How can I adjust the sensitivity of my 'Cue Level' knob? I mapped it to control tempo, but it is too sensitive.

THANKS!!! :mrgreen:
I did the same. All I could do was change the max and min values for tempo in the midi map page. I knew I wouldn't make tempo go as low as 10 (or whatever the lowest value can be), and I knew I wouldn't go faster than 140 (which is already faster than I go), so I limited the range and that got me better control of tempo with the cue.

drako

Re: APC 40 FAQs, features and questions

Post by drako » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:50 pm

Got my apc, but the usb cable is to short due circumstances of my studio setup.

Questions:
1 Can i hang the apc on a usb hub?
2 What is the maximal length for an usb cable in order to let the apc work flawlessly.

ajargy

Post by ajargy » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:07 am

Hey I have more questions please help! :D Thanks!

1. How do I disable buttons? (I want to disable Play, Stop, and Record because I find myself accidentally hitting them and they are very sensitive.

2. Is there any way I can make my X-Fader scroll left and right through my trays? I don't use it and I wanted a quicker way to scroll through my trays than hitting the left and right arrows 1000 times a day (I have lots of devices loaded in my trays).

Thanks again for the help!

Derj

Post by Derj » Wed Sep 23, 2009 3:13 pm

I am definitely interested in purchasing one of these bad boys but I was wondering are they useful for home studio production or would their emphasis be more on playing out live?

Thanks

Derj

http://www.myspace.com/derjymusic

ajargy

Post by ajargy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 pm

They are great for home studio production! That's what I primarily use mine for. I'm just learning how to DJ with it.

Derj

Post by Derj » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:50 pm

How would you say it benefits you in your home studio work?

Yety

Post by Yety » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:36 pm

When I'm not making music with my computer, the APC stands left beside my keyboard(the one for typing text ;>) , wich is in front of my monitor. When I'm making music my keyboard and my APC swap their positions....
Of course I still need my keyboard for some actions like pressing ctrl, deleting clips or doing some copy&paste. These are some of the actions the APC still lacks. But the overall mouse and keyboard usage are massively reduced!
And it's definetely more fun if you can torture some knobs and faders instead of dragging and clicking around with your mouse. Many actions like resampling clips to another track are much easier now. That was the studio-part...

And for the live part: I only use my apc and my laptop display, nothing else!

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:03 am

I just got the APC40 a couple of months ago and love it. Now, I just got a m-audio project mix in order to run more mics and to incorperate protools into my set up. The question is this, if anyone knows. Can I just use the Project mix as a sound card without the midi fucntion so that I can still use the apc with Live? Is this possible? Does any one know?

charles_2

Post by charles_2 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:53 am

HouseContainer wrote:If I look at the picture from Andy Kyte and compare his findings with mine it looks like everything is off by one octave. If I look at the numbers I found for the clip launch buttons for channel 1 they look like:
F3, F#3, G3, G#3, A3, E3. Also other buttons seem to be off by one of octave.
Does anybody know why there are differences? Because this makes sharing off maps tricky and how does Ableton Live handle this?
Different companies define Middle C differently - for some it's C3, for others C4 (and in Cakewalk it's C5, I believe). The important thing is the note number (middle C = 60), not the label. So you probably have the same (numerical) results as Andy, but labeled differently. I don't know what Ableton considers middle C to be.
http://www.authenticfilms.com

Config: MBP 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB RAM, Nvidia 8600M GT, OS 10.5.6
Live 8.1b6, Max4Live 5.1.0a1 (40387)

Post by 4.33 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:16 am

edit

cenik11

Post by cenik11 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:17 am

My APC40 finally arrived yesterday and I picked it up today :)

I can't wait to really start messing with it...

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:34 am

Mine arrived yesterday also. Enjoying it right now.LOL And the funny thing is that, the time that it arrived, I lost my energy instantly from over excitement coz it arrived on me Monday, but the fedex tracking service online said that it will arrive on Tuesday.LOL And while opening, I didn't saw the power supply cable(I just woke up...LOL) right away. So I emailed the vendor that I thought it was brand new and it didn't have any cable. I was panicing and just can't accept the fact that I can't play with it right away. Then later, I decided to look for it carefully and saw it under the styrofoam...LOL
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

Joshua Boden

Post by Joshua Boden » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:59 am

Next time try Xanx.. :lol:

chelemasty

Post by chelemasty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 am

Joshua Boden wrote:Next time try Xanx.. :lol:
Right! hahahahah
Equipments: Softwares, hardwares, plastics and metal controllers, computers, headphones, a pair monitor speaker, and electricity to power them up.

ElectroClash

Post by ElectroClash » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:17 am

Hallo, I'm an APC (happy) owner since 2 months.
I've read that the fact I can't control Return Track is normal.
Any news about that?
When will be available a Firmware upgrade?

Thank you for your answers