Any love for Metric Halo gear?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
muthafunka

Any love for Metric Halo gear?

Post by muthafunka » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Specifically the 2882 or uln-2, interested to hear how peeps find the sound/functionality and also if anyone's getting down with the +dsp and finding it useful.

Rahlo

Re: Any love for Metric Halo gear?

Post by Rahlo » Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:34 pm

If you can swing it, it's most definitely worth purchasing imo. The character plugs, the channel strip, the amp simulator plugs, the record panel, and the extremely flexible routing make the MH boxes a no brainer!

I've been using the 2882 Expanded for my live shows for the past couple of years. Performance has been off the hook, and though I have a Macbook Pro that can handle all that I do, it's still nice to be able to offload some of the processing to the 2882—specifically, compressors and other vocal processing.

The thing I like the best about it is the value. They future proofed their boxes so well that anyone with an original 2882 or ULN-2 can have the latest and greatest with the 2d upgrade.

I've owned interfaces from a lot of manufacturers including Motu, Pro Tools, Yamaha, M-Audio ( :x ), Presonus, and Apogee (I still have the duet), and the MH 2882 expanded isn't one that I see myself getting rid of.

Are you thinking about picking one up?
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:19 am

Thanks for the insight Rahlo. Yep, def. feeling the love (or is it GAS?) towards this one in various ways, sound and features. Been getting some good new prices and also have a possible hook on 2nd hand non-dsp and +dsp boxes here that I can throw a 2d card into. Do you have the +dsp? You mention using the character plugs, are these +dsp features? I know, I need to do some more research, but nice to hear from other users too.
Also, how would you compare the playback sound to the Duet?

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:19 am

muthafunka wrote:Thanks for the insight Rahlo. Yep, def. feeling the love (or is it GAS?) towards this one in various ways, sound and features. Been getting some good new prices and also have a possible hook on 2nd hand non-dsp and +dsp boxes here that I can throw a 2d card into. Do you have the +dsp? You mention using the character plugs, are these +dsp features? I know, I need to do some more research, but nice to hear from other users too.
Also, how would you compare the playback sound to the Duet?
Yeah man, I've got the +dsp license AND the 2d upgrade—sweetness indeed!! I think the character plugs (and those are unbelievably good!) come with the 2d card, so you could get those without the +dsp. The character plugs are so dope, that I sold my Presonus ADL-600, which is considered a boutique piece of gear by some.

I don't claim to have golden ears or anything, but the 2882 sounds a little better to me, but take that with a grain of salt because I haven't done any kind of shootout, and I'm usually slapping the character plugs on just about everything, so the MH unit should sound better!

One thing I dig is that you can go direct out from Live or Reason and mix in the MH 80 bit mixer. A LOT of dudes with this box are starting to mix and master in that piece.
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:16 am

Sweet, thanks, looks like it's a done deal then, just have to decide new or used.
You're finding the MIO Console thing easy enough to get around?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:32 am

If you know you'll never use Windows Metric Halo are pretty much the cream of the crop on Macs.
I went with an RME Fireface because I wasn't sure if I would stay Mac, but now that I'm certain I will, I wish I'd gone MH. The DSP FX built in is a great idea.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:22 am

Machinesworking wrote:If you know you'll never use Windows Metric Halo are pretty much the cream of the crop on Macs.
I went with an RME Fireface because I wasn't sure if I would stay Mac, but now that I'm certain I will, I wish I'd gone MH. The DSP FX built in is a great idea.
yup, plus the dsp in the MH is really, really good it's top notch stuff.
on a mac i give MH also a A1.
*** Image GAFM ***