Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
alex.the.forge

Re: Polanski arrested in Switzerland on US warrant!!

Post by alex.the.forge » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:51 am

In all honesty I don't give a crap about this situation, I just find it amazing that if someone is a famous director or king of pop or something people stop caring if you're a kiddy fiddler

it's just a weird bit of double standards

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:55 am

Woody Allen doesn't see what the problem is.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:41 am

alex.the.forge wrote:In all honesty I don't give a crap about this situation, I just find it amazing that if someone is a famous director or king of pop or something people stop caring if you're a kiddy fiddler

it's just a weird bit of double standards
No double standard here, 30+ years later and knowing a little about the circumstances surrounding the case, I just don't see the point of prosecuting, especially by todays standards.

Again, I guess I'm (like the victim) willing to cut him a little slack, considering he probably wasn't in great mental shape after what the Manson Family did to his wife and friends. IMO this should be a civil case at this point, and he should have to give a percentage of his estate to the victim. The rest is just a dog and pony show to play up some nonexistent western morality drama.

I am probably a little biased by the fact he makes great movies, but if the victim was calling for blood, I would be on her side, she's not.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:52 am

stringtapper wrote:
Machinesworking wrote: Congrats, you've actually managed to creep me out.
My work here is done then. :twisted:

...but no it didn't make any sense in any way, but I think you would have to be made of steel not to be affected by the murder of your wife by cult members. It doesn't excuse it, but it does explain it a bit IMO. I guess I can just see them making this into more than it is, and the guy spending the rest of his life in prison over it.

I just think it's stupid from every angle, but I don't think Polanski is in the same category as Gary Glitter, but that's how it's playing out isn't it?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:25 am

Switzerland, the lovely chocolate land, has no issues protecting blood money of mafia, nazis, terrorists, dictators, take half a century to return properties of Nazi victims, now turns into moral apostle ? Have no problems protecting properties of cannibal dictator Bokassa - but feels moraly obliged to intervene in 30 years old case of little ho pimped by her own mother to Hollywood stars. Would be interesting to know real reason of this action by Swiss police ?

stringtapper

Post by stringtapper » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:34 am

rikhyray wrote:Switzerland, the lovely chocolate land, has no issues protecting blood money of mafia, nazis, terrorists, dictators, take half a century to return properties of Nazi victims, now turns into moral apostle ? Have no problems protecting properties of cannibal dictator Bokassa - but feels moraly obliged to intervene in 30 years old case of little ho pimped by her own mother to Hollywood stars. Would be interesting to know real reason of this action by Swiss police ?
Interesting point.
Unsound Designer

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:46 am

stringtapper wrote:
rikhyray wrote:Switzerland, the lovely chocolate land, has no issues protecting blood money of mafia, nazis, terrorists, dictators, take half a century to return properties of Nazi victims, now turns into moral apostle ? Have no problems protecting properties of cannibal dictator Bokassa - but feels moraly obliged to intervene in 30 years old case of little ho pimped by her own mother to Hollywood stars. Would be interesting to know real reason of this action by Swiss police ?
Interesting point.
Seconded. :?

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:29 am

I love the cheese and chocolate part though...

davepermen

Post by davepermen » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:17 am

and i love how much the rest is mostly about lies that come from jealous outsiders. but we in swiss like to hold that status of being the big money bank of everything :) not that it's actually true, as we work against such crime quite hard, but it's still, we're those in james bond holding the money for the criminals so it must be true...

but our chocolate and cheese rocks :)

and i don't agree personally with what happened right now. but i think it's unimportant if he's famous. i just think the case is not a big problem.

but i think, unimportant what, it's right for the swiss to follow the guidelines of another country. if he's criminal, then just arrest it first, then clear everything up. even while he shouldn't get arrested for what he had done, it's only right for the police to preemptive catch him, if he would be a possible bad boy.

so i see how what our country had done is right. imagine bin laden walking into switzerland, and we would not catch him for america.. no one knows if he really is a) bin laden himself and b) bin laden is the bad boy he likes to be. but still, everyone agrees, catching him first, and then bringing him in front of the law is the right way for savety reasons.

and that's what we have done.

i just hope polanski gets free, as i don't agree that it's a big crime what happened. but that's america, sex is terrible, violence isn't :)
http://davepermen.net my tiny webpage, including link to bandcamp.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:57 am

Well said Davepermen.

Still, like you, I would have prefer he live the rest of his life far from any judicial problems. He got enough really. Stigmatized he was since those events and both his confidence and production have been affected which is a pretty big lost for humanity if you ask me. A bit like when A. E. Van Vogt stopped writing in the 50' when L. Ron Hubbard convinced him to join the pre-scientologists.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:04 am

davepermen wrote:but that's america, sex is terrible, violence isn't :)
So, 13 doesn't pass the litmus test for you, huh? Ok how 'bout 10 or maybe 8? Yeah, we're just a twisted bunch, I mean, having those silly laws for such things. Anything should be ok as long as you have a good enough reason, right?

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:56 am

Just to make it clear, nothing against Alps, Swiss people,Fondue and the world best chocolate but the bank syndicates are different story.
I wouldnt be so sure if Osama does not take a stroll every now and then at the Zurich Seeufer, beard removed and wearing Armani outfit inclusive shades, with all those digits on his accounts, Swiss police will leave him in peace.
Polansky was definitely stupid to fall into the trap, should think where he sticks his thing. The girl wasn't child kidnapped from Sarajevo or Kathmandu and sold to sexual slavery. She knew exactly what she was doing, definitely her pimp mom did. Victim she was but not just of Polansky kinky fantasies, she knew exactly where she was going and what for. He didnt lure her with his stamps collection. She was going at night to Hollywoods superstar house (Jack Nicholoson) to get nude pictures taken. What followed later, greedy family and media,being instrumental in framing sort of "innocent" man,that messed her probably for life not some romantic moments in the pool with Hollywood star, champagne and drugs. I personally feel 40+ year old man going for a teenager, even if he believes she is 18, is sick- but that is what all that jetset does notoriously: Woody Allens, Briatorres, Berlusconis whatever their names. Man wants to take advantage and ends up taken advantage, the sluts get pregnant or reveal that they are minor... In the end each side gets what they deserve. Fell no sorry for none side.
Still, I am curious what is really behind that arrest story.

Earwax69

Post by Earwax69 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:16 am

We dont excuse what he did even if there is "attenuating circumstances" (She bring the drugs, she give her consent to the relation, she was certainly not virgin and she told it to roman polanski in the car, Jack Nicholson wife who was in the house at that moment said she looked more like 20-25 years old, she went there for a goddam naked shooting...) but the victim already sued Polanski and reached an undisclosed settlement.

There are real rapist out there, why cant US authorities concentrate on that instead of chasing a 76 years old man accross the globe.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:19 am

I'll agree that the arrest is suspect. But I doubt that many, if any, 13yr olds have the skillset to properly judge whether they should put themselves in that type of situation. And IMO, there is no justification for what Polanski did.

So he was just walking across the room, slipped, and fell into the pu$$y?

Rahlo

Post by Rahlo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:40 am

UncleAge wrote:
So he was just walking across the room, slipped, and fell into the pu$$y?
:lol:
peace,

rahlo
------------------------------------------------------
http://www.rahlo.com

MacBook Pro, Live 8, Reason 4, Akai MPD 32, Akai MPK 49, Akai APC 40, Metric Halo ULN-2 expanded, Apogee Duet.