Hey Dom, where's the love for the Serato/Ableton collab?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
nuxnamon

Re: Hey Dom, where's the love for the Serato/Ableton collab?

Post by nuxnamon » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:04 pm

kabuki wrote:Dom, you are coming across as a little terse and agitated. Keep in mind, these people pay your salary.

Just a hint. :wink:

In my opinion, silence is not an answer. The correct answer would have been a link to the press release and a highlight of what you showed in you latest answer. Would that have been so hard? Or, perhaps Ableton could have made a sticky if the cacophony of questions was too much to bear. (Dom, I realize you were out last week, or whatever, but it has been ages since the Serato colab was announced...

Honestly, why the attitude? Am I seeing something that isn't there?

Cheers and good luck.
yeah, I think your seeing something that isn't there.. I sensed no attitude at all and he takes the time to answer our questions.. he works for ableton and he can only say so much.. I'm sure would tell us more if he could but he can't..

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:08 pm

nuxnamon wrote:
kabuki wrote:Dom, you are coming across as a little terse and agitated. Keep in mind, these people pay your salary.

Just a hint. :wink:

In my opinion, silence is not an answer. The correct answer would have been a link to the press release and a highlight of what you showed in you latest answer. Would that have been so hard? Or, perhaps Ableton could have made a sticky if the cacophony of questions was too much to bear. (Dom, I realize you were out last week, or whatever, but it has been ages since the Serato colab was announced...

Honestly, why the attitude? Am I seeing something that isn't there?

Cheers and good luck.
yeah, I think your seeing something that isn't there.. I sensed no attitude at all and he takes the time to answer our questions.. he works for ableton and he can only say so much.. I'm sure would tell us more if he could but he can't..
+1

he is ableton support NOT ableton marketing or PR!

don't forget that it's a big company, loads of people seem to forget that they are not different!!! (stop dreaming)

it's structured like anywhere else, so don't expect marketing / PR issues from support, simple as that!
*** Image GAFM ***

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:32 pm

SubFunk wrote:
john doe by choice wrote:Am I the only person who is hoping for better timestretching/warp algorithms out of this collab? Seriously, pitch'n'time is much better at timestretching than Live is (even though PNT is just a plug-in), and Serato is well known for this fact in studio situations. The warping algorithms in Live have never given great results on anything longer than a few beats...some stuff works fairly well, but nothing as great as the results I've heard out of PNT. Personally, I would settle for that over some sort of new DJ option (which could hurt business for Scratch Live, I imagine).
i am totally with you... i said it from day one of the announcement, pitch n' time for ableton please... i don't give a rats ass about the DJ-ing business, what do they want to do anyway...? reinventing the wheel...? there is enough powerful stuff out.

the whole DJ business is just a market share thing, that is my personal guess... more customers. just so the ableton fans can say they use ableton for DJ-ing instead of another tool that already works for DJs.
Well, to add to the "wish-from-the-father-of-a-thought-wait-what-hang-on-what" pool, I don't think it's that outlandish to desire vinyl control over Ableton Live. I also think it would be amazing to have Serato's colored waveforms in Live (because, let's face it, Live's dull grey waveforms could be sharing a little more information with us). I think vinyl control over Session View alone would be a welcome and awesome tool for DJ's. There is no "other tool that already works for DJ's" that could encompass what vinyl control over Session view could do for DJ's.

And if it only means that the two products will work together well, well, there are many different ways you can dissect that statement. It isn't outlandish to arrive at the idea of a "Scratch4Live" product from this statement alone. Whatever it may be, I'll be excited to check it out, and I'll wait as long as need be until the product is ready.

P.S. I've owned the TTM 57 SL for a few years ::cough cough:: BETA ME! ::cough cough::
:)

dom

Post by dom » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:27 am

Kabuki: Uh? Nope, really no resentment over here - just trying to point you into a more realistic direction while dreaming - and yes, i'm more on the technical side than marketing and don't speak in rainbows. May sound a bit straight sometimes, but even then it's only that and not bearing a grudge against you or something like that.

And actually i did link the press release and quoted the relevant section, or did i get your post wrong?

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:41 pm

Dom's reply really does tell us a lot, even though he's not really saying anything :D

I think that Whenever the Ableton / Serato partnership materialises, we'll be seeing an easy
way of routing audio from Serato's apps into Live - possibly via Rewire. Nothing more, nothing
less. It makes perfect sense; and I was thinking the very same thing when I was playing around
with the Traktor demo last night: "It would be pretty cool if I could sync Traktor up with Live
and send audio from Traktor to Live". We might see an update to Live which streamlines the combination, but my guess is that that's it. How they're going to do it is the interesting
part, as (if my understanding is correct) Rewire isn't "bidirectional". It would make sense
that Scratch would be master, i.e.having Live follow its tempo, but still having audio coming
from Scratch into Live. Maybe they'll devise a proprietary alternative to Rewire, or some way of
allowing Scratch Live to run inside Live?

Just thinking with my hands on the keyboard here. :lol:

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:15 pm

sporkles wrote: Just thinking with my hands on the keyboard here. :lol:
I dunno, Sporkie. Scratch Live doesn't have a tempo. Everything is done by hand. You control the tempo with the pitch fader on a turntable. How well the tempo is synced is up to you.

But, even if it's something as unexciting as having the two apps work together on a single computer, sharing the dedicated Serato interface (SL1, TTM57, etc.), then I'll be happy with that. In fact, that would rule.

A hybrid Session View/Scratch Live GUI with color-coded waveforms would rule a lot harder.

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:40 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:
I dunno, Sporkie. Scratch Live doesn't have a tempo. Everything is done by hand. You control the tempo with the pitch fader on a turntable. How well the tempo is synced is up to you.
Oh, crap. Well, there you have it - I made an assumption :oops:
Well, if Scratch Live has no automatic tempo, maybe it'll be the other way around, then? :lol:

Incidentally, I did play around with some thingamajig at a local shop the other day, where the
setup was two fake turntables (I didn't even take note of the brand or the application running
on the computer, but I assume it was Scratch Live). The scratching sounded pretty neat, but
it was fun for about 47 seconds.

I honestly don't understand what's so awesome about emulating vinyl DJ-ing. Is that some kind of
DJ creed, that if anyone with a half decent taste in music can make the crowd move, it should be
frowned upon? Or does it have more to do with the collective mental image of a "DJ"? (I touched
upon this in the Traktor thread too)

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:00 pm

sporkles wrote:
Hidden Driveways wrote:
Oh, crap. Well, there you have it - I made an assumption :oops:
Well, if Scratch Live has no automatic tempo, maybe it'll be the other way around, then? :lol:

Incidentally, I did play around with some thingamajig at a local shop the other day, where the
setup was two fake turntables (I didn't even take note of the brand or the application running
on the computer, but I assume it was Scratch Live). The scratching sounded pretty neat, but
it was fun for about 47 seconds.

I honestly don't understand what's so awesome about emulating vinyl DJ-ing. Is that some kind of
DJ creed, that if anyone with a half decent taste in music can make the crowd move, it should be
frowned upon? Or does it have more to do with the collective mental image of a "DJ"? (I touched
upon this in the Traktor thread too)
If you're really into motorcycles, then you will like riding motorcycles. If you're really into playing records, then you will like DJ'ing with vinyl. There is really nothing more to it, as far as I'm concerned.

I really love the sound of vinyl when it is messed with. I like being able to grab a record and make these cool sounds happen. Firing clips is fun, but I have more fun with turntables and a mixer.

P.S. Your log-in name and "Schmocation" are awesome.

Jesse

Post by Jesse » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:59 pm

Hi Guys,
We are working hard on our collaboration with Serato, who are in Berlin as I type. We'll try to post a news update for you in the next day or two. Thanks for your patience, we think you'll like the results, sorry I can't say more at the moment.
Jesse

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:07 pm

Jesse wrote:Hi Guys,
We are working hard on our collaboration with Serato, who are in Berlin as I type. We'll try to post a news update for you in the next day or two. Thanks for your patience, we think you'll like the results, sorry I can't say more at the moment.
Jesse
Get in, just got my maxforlive beta serial and it's bpm at the weekend in the uk...

Tell us the news that'll get me reaching for my wallet!

Cheers
D

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:41 pm

Jesse wrote:Hi Guys,
Jesse
thanks jesse!!

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:39 am

just bumping this cuz it got lost with that Z guy posting hella comments.. but yeah, Jesse responded and said he will update us and it turns out that they are already working on the product.. or atleast that's how it sounds.. we'll soon find out I guess..

ekwipt

Post by ekwipt » Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:26 am

http://www.serato.com/ableton

Ableton and Serato

At the BPM show in 2008, Ableton and Serato announced a creative partnership. One year later, we're hard at work to make our products play nice together, and we're gearing up for a big unveiling on January 14, 2010, at the winter NAMM show in Aneheim, California. Keep your eyes peeled on www.serato.com and www.ableton.com for more news.

We're not letting the cat out of the bag just yet, other than to say if you own Ableton Live, and any of the DJ products that use Serato software, get ready to unleash your creativity in 2010!

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:40 am

Live + Serato = LIVE2

I like the sound of that...

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:13 am

Hidden Driveways wrote:
If you're really into motorcycles, then you will like riding motorcycles. If you're really into playing records, then you will like DJ'ing with vinyl. There is really nothing more to it, as far as I'm concerned.
Hey, fair game to you; s'all good :D
Hidden Driveways wrote: P.S. Your log-in name and "Schmocation" are awesome.
My ability to detect Internet sarcasm is not my forte, so I have no idea if that was sincere or not :P

Anyway, speaking of locations: I spent a week in NJ this summer, and whenever we saw the
Hoboken sign on the Path train underground, we were like "d'oh! We did it again! Is nobody
paying attention?!"