Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aizo

Re: Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Post by aizo » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:08 pm

This is gonna be fantastic for taking to work / on trips / the train. After I got my APC, I was really jonesing for the clip launch while working on tracks on the go. This will fit perfectly in my laptop bag. hmmmmmmm lovely
ImageImage

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Poster wrote:
real musicians don't whine about their equipment, they just get things done..
i newer knew this,
maybe i manage some real stuff along the way in my life from here on... thanks to you!
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:27 pm

i nicked this from another thread... original thread can be found here http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=125721 (sorry @ the OP, but i had to!)

but this is a very common situation... nothing exceptional at all...

and therefor i am so after little design tweaks like USB power (@ Poster yes i am serious about one single cable and the plug you need for a PSU!)

and also about the hole in the bottom issue, to place a small controller onto a 1210, to have one headache less.

to name but a few, others i don't want to reveal yet, but i have enough praxis & ideas after over 20 years of playing on how to make live just a notch easier.
Earwax69 wrote:Hi, I went to see the place im playing for the first time next week. Small, cozy and a big set of speakers. Great!

BUT there is no place in the DJ boot for my stuff (minimal... a 13inch laptop and a controller.)

Here the pictures:

Should I ask them to make some place or should I manage something? I'll plug my laptop in the middle mixer.
this shit you find not only in bars, but also a lot in so called clubs and worse.

again, i really think they should take the reality of those extremely common situations in count when designing a product which is supposed to be used in a DJ booth, club scenario...
*** Image GAFM ***

dom

Post by dom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:02 pm

Axel, we all know what you mean.

But it does not change the fact that it is impossible to power something like an APC without a power adaptor, and it is impossible to drill a hole in the middle of a Launchpad as the overall height is only 24mm.

This has nothing to do with bad designers or comapnies or whatever, so please stop venting about this - it is fruitless and you're bit barking up the wrong tree here.

Take this energy and shout at the clubs that are not able to set up a proper DJ booth.
This is the parameter of the whole story that shows enormous room for improvement.
Why should i abandon the lights from my controller in favor of a lazy club management that can't set up a proper booth?

Cheers,
Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

MrShine

Post by MrShine » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:05 pm

This is what happens when you're away from the forums for some time, damn i missed this beauty!

As i have a PCR300 atm, getting this to combine for clip launching is just nuts!

Now i don;t need to to worry about selling my keyboard and fork out for a APC...get this and i'm ready to roll :mrgreen:

exper

Post by exper » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:10 pm

Someone needs to invent somthing to fit over turntables to turn them into flat platforms. I know there are lids but they are plastic that breaks easily.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:28 pm

The lids on Technics are good but they have a bump where the tonearm connects to the body and, they are often not in the booth.
You could easily cut bits of foam with a hole for putting the launchpad on top of the Technics platters, though you still have the fact that the platters can't be locked so you'l have a bit of free swivel action.

Pffff.... All this whining about it should have this or that feature is useless. Technics only goes to plus 8, many a time I haven't been able to mix in a record because even at plus 8 it was too slow with what the other deck was playing. Sometimes you can get around it by pitching the other deck down a little bit, often you end up playing another track. There's always something!

It should have a case with a mirror on one side so you can rack up a nice line of blow!
:mrgreen:

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Hidden Driveways wrote:Wow Forgie, you got a VCM600? That thing is nice.

Something occured to me yesterday... since the Launchpad has these "user defined" modes, and it comes with a default preset that is mapped to drumracks, are the user modes and the Novation software some sort of poorman's Max4Live? I mean, of course, it's not Max, but, how deep does the included Novation software go in regards to these user defined modes?

Also, is there any way us APC users can get in on this software? The way the drum & bass video on the Ableton site plays out, it just looks like fun to sequence drums in one mode, and switch back to Session control in another. I don't think this will help my music, I just get off on flashing lights.
Try the NativeKontrol packs. There's a very handy drumrack mode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMfcr0JraUk

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:57 pm

dom wrote:Axel, we all know what you mean.

But it does not change the fact that it is impossible to power something like an APC without a power adaptor, and it is impossible to drill a hole in the middle of a Launchpad as the overall height is only 24mm.

This has nothing to do with bad designers or comapnies or whatever, so please stop venting about this - it is fruitless and you're bit barking up the wrong tree here.

Take this energy and shout at the clubs that are not able to set up a proper DJ booth.
This is the parameter of the whole story that shows enormous room for improvement.
Why should i abandon the lights from my controller in favor of a lazy club management that can't set up a proper booth?

Cheers,
Dom
i stop, but that is still funny, though, you have to admit:
This has nothing to do with bad designers or comapnies or whatever
and i know about a 'resell pricetag' and that kind of limitations during development... and drilling a hole is funny, too, that you really would need to do if you have a 'bad' design, ok, ok, i stop. * fair enough you defend your own turf, though... :wink:
i agree to that!

and i did designed a perfect booth, the soniclab booth. :mrgreen: *

full stop, now.

* if you think i bullshit, i give you a full list of all artists who played there and you can ask every single one of them.
*** Image GAFM ***

Raychem

Post by Raychem » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:57 am

exper wrote:Someone needs to invent somthing to fit over turntables to turn them into flat platforms. I know there are lids but they are plastic that breaks easily.
Like this? You can fit a hard drive or sound card under there and even use the turntable 8)

exper

Post by exper » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:59 am

There you go! Is that made by Ikea?! :wink:

Raychem

Post by Raychem » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:13 am

exper wrote:There you go! Is that made by Ikea?! :wink:
Haha, wouldn't that be something! No I made it myself actually, took about 2 hours.

Edit: Well I was going to comment on this product. My story with midi controllers was that I first bought a midi keyboard. Then came some keyboards with lots of faders and knobs but I didn't need a keyboard so when dedicated controllers like UC-33 and Remote Zero became available I bought the Zero. Then came the APC-40 but I already had enough faders and knobs so now when I can get a bunch of launch pads it's perfect.
Now would it be better to have just one big controller to do it all? I don't know, but I think this thing is something I'll have to buy.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:40 am

Raychem wrote:
exper wrote:Someone needs to invent somthing to fit over turntables to turn them into flat platforms. I know there are lids but they are plastic that breaks easily.
Like this? You can fit a hard drive or sound card under there and even use the turntable 8)

...hehe..nice.. I have the same 'Tresor' pads..

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:48 am

3dot... wrote:
Raychem wrote:

...hehe..nice.. I have the same 'Tresor' pads..
yes! and there are several ways to accomplish that, with a little thought put into a design, before!! [drilling a hole] it gets into the production, little feet you can pull out, etc. many, many ways are possible, if you really want to spend a thought on it.

especially the APC could have feet, with it's size... placed and adjusted so it fits onto a 1210, because that one is still in 98% of clubs worldwide and will be there for years to come...

period.
*** Image GAFM ***

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:05 pm

also a thin rubber layer on the bottom, to avoid slipping around, if placed upon CD players or whatever, would be a nice gentle touch :wink:
*** Image GAFM ***