Live 8 keeps crashing..normal on mac books?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

How often is Live 8 crashing during heavy usage prod/stage timess

never...
12%
can happen but rarely... less than an mpc
19%
once a month
5%
once a week
9%
on a daily base
28%
every few hours
28%

Total votes: 94

3phase

Live 8 keeps crashing..normal on mac books?

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:23 pm

Hello,
I still like to find out if the constant crashing of live 8 is really related to user karma or if there is a global pattern that is just not discussed in public..

true for my setup is..

live 7 never crashes

live 8 never crashes when you dont use it...
it allmost never crashes when you just play around with it

It crashes often during proffesional production times..

why that?

is the file szise and temperatur an issue? or is it just statisistics that when you only work for 3 hours with live you just get less crashes ? Has the time you opertae the program something to do with the amount of crashes?

it´s a bit strange.. similar to the profile of the crashes... they just happen... but not when ideling... but can happen during recording or playback without touching the computer...

sofar i losz only one valuable recording.. but i think about changing the program.. seems that ableton couldnt solve the issues with the update. But this is no surprise..because they claim that there are no issues.. Live 8 is as stable as Live 7

Is this the true? please report crashes with Live 8 in the poll so that i can get an idea if its ableton related or maybe a hardware problem...

However.. my laptop dont had any problems with any other software yet... maybe its karma?
but is it my karma that is bad than or the karma of the crashing software?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

3phase

Re: Live 8 keeps crashing..normal on mac books?

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:33 pm

and again to the poll questions.. how often does it happen when beeing used hard.. no weightening over the total amount of usage time... the 3 days before delivery.. when it happens 2 times there i would count it as a "daily base", instead "rarely" because it just happened on 2 days of the month...

And a releated question...
I never had any crashes with Live 7..
is this an experiance others can verify or have i been just lucky and live 7 can crash as much as Live 8

commuter

Post by commuter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:37 pm

i quote myself, reply to an other topic :
impossible to work as smooth as it was in LIVE 7 (i'm about to go back to 7..)
Third party plugins that worked perfectly in 7 now make 8 crash.....
The problem is that i love 8 new features... (Configure mode, group tracks, multi dynamics, the new Operator..Etc...)
People that don't use third party plugins don't get crashes i think, good for them.....But i can't work that way......

I did my best to help by sending LOADS of crashlogs and reports during the last beta phase (and even since....)
i'm also sure that Ableton are doing their best to adress all these issues.
So i hope next update will solve all these crashes with plugins......
To resume, yes I'm getting loads of crashes.....and the same on two different computer...
And LIVE 7 work perfectly.....
15" Macbook Pro 2,3 quadcore I7 2012/8gb ram/240gb SSD/ LIVE 9.06/OSX 10.8.5, NI Komplete audio 6
https://www.facebook.com/commuterofficial
http://soundcloud.com/commuter

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:47 pm

hmm :-/ i was affraid to hear that..because that points pretty much in the direction that a change of the daw is essential for professional tasks... and that is bad seeing my investment in an apc and the upcoming max for live..

but on the other hand..maybe the upcomming max fpr live is the problem-- how many years was necessary to turn reaktor into a stage ready applikation? will this repeat with live now an we will buy the live 10 update with the promise of increased stabilty over the previous versions?

what other software is god for live use on a mac?

any recomendations that are not logic? something like opcode suidio vison would be nice...

a program wher every pattern can be a complete song and triggerd by the keyboard or midi events... even in parralel on different tempos.. ..

its really sad that the best software sequencer was the one that died first...

Poster

Post by Poster » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:10 pm

MBP here and never have any crashes..
though I must say I only use Live devices, Reaktor and hardware so that rules out alot of possible 3rd party trouble..

not meaning to accuse nor to offend, but I just have to ask; do you use any 3rd party plugin that says [k]?

edit: you don't have to answer that one, of course..
Last edited by Poster on Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

commuter

Post by commuter » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:15 pm

i also got this crash the other day :
i was just playing the Keys- Accoustic Piano from the Simpler preset library....Only one midi track!! Nothing Else in the set!!
Just playing around with my midi keyboard.
than after 5 mn, Live froze and crashed......
15" Macbook Pro 2,3 quadcore I7 2012/8gb ram/240gb SSD/ LIVE 9.06/OSX 10.8.5, NI Komplete audio 6
https://www.facebook.com/commuterofficial
http://soundcloud.com/commuter

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:25 pm

repairing user permissions seemed to be much more helpfull than the so called ableton support...

you should try it..

i will do it again aswell later... ther are unix comands for the terminal to do that or programs like cocktail...

Its however starnge that pernissions can crash live... maybe this was accidental... but after the repair things got much better...

question is why i have problems now again? something screewed the permissions again? has it to do with live ? or is there finaly a mac virrus out there?..
,ost probably is that it is a live problem..sofar it allways was one... but ableton claims the system to be stable...

i am currious how the poll develops... i would say that at least 95% of the votes must be at the never/rare tags to aprove Abletons stability statements..

Otherwise they should adress the issue..
without insulting customers

3phase

Post by 3phase » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:10 pm

Seems that there are quite a lot people with the non exsiting crashing problem..

with my system the crash rate is actually rising.. i am constantly in production for a week now and it starts like once a day and today i am an a crash every hour ... actually by now i can provocate the crashes by doing heavy things lie changing the samplerate while running a few times... but a week ago i could do this as often as i wanted.. i usually record on 44k and prozess on 88 k...
so switching the samplerate is something i do often... so something problematic is growing in the background with the associated projekt folder.

I will do a user permission repair again and report back..

one addition.. i am not talking about the normal permission repair.. you have to boot in single user mode.. and do a so called user permissions repair theire.. it seems that this does a different permission repair than in normal boot mode because it has solved problems in the past...but i am not sure if that is true.. are their any mac experts on this forum that can shed some light on this item?

This are the commands i used last time...

DO-IT-YOURSELF OPTION WORKS
The MacFixIt.com Late Breakers article, itself, said: "You can run Repair Permissions from
_the command prompt in single user mode by starting up while holding
_down Command-S then typing the following string "sudo diskutil
_repairPermissions /" Actually, with patient coaching from moderator "mervTormel" in the MacOSXHints.com system forum, I learned that there are several steps in the do-it-yourself Repair Permissions.

After the Command-S startup, type the following on the command prompts, allowing time for each to do its thing:
/sbin/fsck -y<return>
/sbin/mount -uw /<return>
/sbin/autodiskmount -va<return>
/usr/sbin/diskutil repairPermissions /

And, when one is sure it's all done, type:
reboot<return>

has fixed trouble with clicks when mixing 16 and 32 bit files in one session... what neer was a problem before and appeared together with the crash problem and live 8...

after this permission repair things became much better..but live 8 was updated the same day...

will try the commands later and report if the crash rate gets reduced again ..or not :-/

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:52 pm

3Phase, you seem to be experiencing a bug with Live's multiprocessor handling of MIDI data which occurs on some Macs. Repairing permissions will not help at all. Turn off the multiprocessor support in the CPU preferences pane and check if that helps. There will be a fix available soon.

Regards,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

ekiekitabaang

Post by ekiekitabaang » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:55 pm

This was very important information.
I got lately crashes when sending midi data to ableton.
Also OSX crash report had some lines about midi.
(OSX 10.6.1 Live 8.5)

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:15 pm

ekiekitabaang wrote:This was very important information.
I got lately crashes when sending midi data to ableton.
Also OSX crash report had some lines about midi.
(OSX 10.6.1 Live 8.5)
The crashlog will usually list a "memcpy" event on the crashed thread in this case. This might be different in Snow Leopard (haven't checked yet).

Regards,
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

The Carpet Cleaner

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:10 pm

I can use Live for 8 hours straight juste playing with the APC and samples.

I can make Live crash in 5 minutes, like just tonight (see my recent Subject in General), I just need to make Live use all my macbook memory (2go), then where there is no more memory, it will just slwodoan the whole computer and finaly freeze and eventualy crash.

I can use all my memory buy loading few instances of samplers by using "slice to midi track". 100% crash guarantee. I just need to be carefull to not use all my 2go and everything should be fine.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:20 pm

The major annoying issue that I had so far is as following:

I quit live, then I restart it few minutes later and BAM, it tells me that another instance is running_ I must kill the bastard within the task manager_

It happens 1 / 3 times _ It never happened once with live 7.0.16

The other crashes I had with 8 are mostly user's related :mrgreen:

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Hermanus wrote:The major annoying issue that I had so far is as following:

I quit live, then I restart it few minutes later and BAM, it tells me that another instance is running_ I must kill the bastard within the task manager_

It happens 1 / 3 times _ It never happened once with live 7.0.16

The other crashes I had with 8 are mostly user's related :mrgreen:
This thread is about Macs only. However, if Live hangs in the Windows task manager, then there's a hardware driver on your system which doesn't quit properly when Live tells it to do so. If that doesn't happen in 7, check which audio and MIDI drivers you have activated in either version. This might help to find the culprit.

Best,
n.
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:39 pm

1ino1eum wrote:I can use Live for 8 hours straight juste playing with the APC and samples.

I can make Live crash in 5 minutes, like just tonight (see my recent Subject in General), I just need to make Live use all my macbook memory (2go), then where there is no more memory, it will just slwodoan the whole computer and finaly freeze and eventualy crash.

I can use all my memory buy loading few instances of samplers by using "slice to midi track". 100% crash guarantee. I just need to be carefull to not use all my 2go and everything should be fine.
Yes, overloading the memory will lead to sluggishness and eventually freezes or crashes Live. Too many devices and also too many clips in a set are often the cause of a high RAM load.

Best,
n.
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team