Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
starving student

Re: Novation LAUNCHPAD: new dedicated controller for Live!!!

Post by starving student » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:13 am

the nanos ok but it is a ceiling hitter,

forgot all about the remote zero, that shit should be perfect with the launchpad
add my trusty little lpk25 and said is done.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/user/NovationTV# ... EhsEu3NnLM

@ about 40sec in the movie.

Assigning CC#'s to a row of buttons.
Is it possible to have the buttons lit-up to show where the value of the CC is on the row ?

Otherwise you cannot see where the value of the parameter (CC) is at unless you look at the screen.
And this is never 100% accurate as to which button = what ammount of that parameter.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

ton

Post by ton » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 am

I would prefer a modular version where you would have basically three types of modules

1. left side module
2. 8 X 1 button strip which is the middle module
3. right side module

This would allow you to use as many 8 X 1 button strips as you like, the middle modules should be able to get connected to both sides, like lego pieces or puzzle pieces.

If this would be available I would like to have a setup like 8 X 20 Session-Matrix control. It seems I could buy now three times an 8 X 8 Launchpad, resulting in a 8 X 24 Session-Matrix control. But having just a single unit with 20 or 24 button strips would be just more elegant.

Let us wait who will develop first such a modular LaunchPad. Also why limiting to only a few = 8 tracks, after having so many years of mixing console experience? For mixing consoles practical track numbers were 16, 24 and 32. Let us wait for those numbers also for the future LaunchPads. 8 X 32 LaunchPad, should be enough for most people. No matter if you want to use it for 32 tracks or for 32 steps of a step sequencer.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:58 am

hurlingdervish wrote:
starving student wrote:what is a good box of faders and knobs that would sit perfect next to the launchpad, something that's the same size to cover fx, levels,
just get the nanokontrol

that would fit perfectly
+1

the nanoKEY is total rubbish
the nanoPAD i don't know, but heard good things about it
and the nanoKONTROL is definitely a killer product, especially with things like the MYR/SUB script, (http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122993) that script turns the nanoKONTROL into a hercules on steroids, i think keeping the price tag in mind it's pretty much unbeatable... you really can't go wrong at all with that!
*** Image GAFM ***

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:08 am

starving student wrote:the nanos ok but it is a ceiling hitter,

forgot all about the remote zero, that shit should be perfect with the launchpad
add my trusty little lpk25 and said is done.
Did you manage to get pitch bend on it or is it absolutely impossible? They are not available here yet. I got the LPD - much better then better then Korg junk ( Musicstore Cologne Germanys biggest online store is selling defect nanos in dozen packs, for 5 or 10 Euros). If the quality is matching LPD would be interesting for mobile use but keyboard without some way of pitch bending (even like O2 or M1 using buttons) wouldnt be of use for me.
p.S.
Stanton SCS3m mixer would be ideal along with Launchpad if not that the company is so pathetic. I bought it 2 weeks ago and still wait to get midi specs so cant even properly tried it with Live. Is the only manual I ever seen without midi specification table, they give www link which is dead and days ago Stanton support told me in few hours will be send to me and appear on their website....still waiting...
The potential is great indeed , it works like a hub so you can manage with 1 USB and ACHTUNG SUBFUNK! you can use it busspowered or add PSU if needed. However without knowing all options,can try only the "first pages" cant see all "hidden" commands as yet. 1 SCS3m could cover at least 8 tracks - including most of controls with just one unit.BTW. with Traktor the SCS3d+SCS3m set works perfectly, I expanded it with Akai LPD8 (powered from SCS3m), for FX and loops but here again with just one Launchpad I could have all I need right there without switching anything- which is essential for stage use.

exper

Post by exper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:30 am

Android Bishop wrote:
exper wrote:Speaking as someone with both the remote sl and an apc, I gotta say the apc is better in a strictly ableton live way. The remote doesn't automatically re-route the faders to the next batch of channels like the apc, and the automapping us muck better. I do miss the screens on the remote, but now i'm just going to use it as an editor for my oberheim matrix 6 and for more in depth editing of reakor and other vst's. Novation needs to somehow emulate the apc's mapping and it would be great.

the apc doesnt really ALLOW dynamic mapping beyond macro controls or the list of configured parameters of a plugin. Compare that to Automap, which allows multi-page configuration of parameters over buttons, faders, encoders, and nobs...all with the ability to be controlled in the way YOU want to. Plus it allows you to create 16 channels worth of custom midi templates, which can be used by themselves or expanded with device control scripts or MaxMsp.

So no, I'd like to keep Automap the way it is (minus bugs). It is one of the most powerful and flexible control systems on the market
No, trust me, I definitely like my Remote Zero, as I'm using both currently, but I wish that in the Ableton template, the 8 faders/mute/send buttons would dynamically shift to another group of 8 channels, not just the first 8. Unless I have been missing something? I'm just going to use the apc for clips, mixing, etc; and use the remote zero for automapping specific plugins.

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:42 am

exper wrote: I wish that in the Ableton template, the 8 faders/mute/send buttons would dynamically shift to another group of 8 channels, not just the first 8.
For my use 1 button press to see next 8 is OK, what would be other "dynamically" option?

Sarrova-Q

Post by Sarrova-Q » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:56 pm

SubFunk wrote:
hurlingdervish wrote:
starving student wrote:what is a good box of faders and knobs that would sit perfect next to the launchpad, something that's the same size to cover fx, levels,
just get the nanokontrol

that would fit perfectly
+1

the nanoKEY is total rubbish
the nanoPAD i don't know, but heard good things about it
and the nanoKONTROL is definitely a killer product, especially with things like the MYR/SUB script, (http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=122993) that script turns the nanoKONTROL into a hercules on steroids, i think keeping the price tag in mind it's pretty much unbeatable... you really can't go wrong at all with that!
Akai LPD-8 for a minimalistic set-up. Laptop, Launchpad and LPD-8 fits perfect in most laptop bags.

drako

Post by drako » Sun Oct 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Sold my apc :oops:
Now my remote sl can sit lovely next to the nano .

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:00 pm

^^^ yes of course.

the nanoKONTROL is not even a quarter worth (just like the akai stuff) without the myr/sub script that turns it into a hercules on steroids.
is there something like the myr/sub script for the akai? if yes, then great!
*** Image GAFM ***

Nick Shepherd

Post by Nick Shepherd » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:40 pm

SubFunk wrote: is there something like the myr/sub script for the akai? if yes, then great!
even if there is somebody working on it... i would prefer the nanoKontrol over the LPD - the pads are a waste of space ^^

if akai did something the same size with rotarys, faders & a X/Y i would think different ;)

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:44 pm

Nick Shepherd wrote:
SubFunk wrote: is there something like the myr/sub script for the akai? if yes, then great!
even if there is somebody working on it... i would prefer the nanoKontrol over the LPD - the pads are a waste of space ^^

if akai did something the same size with rotarys, faders & a X/Y i would think different ;)
yeah me too, thou... but it's really that incredible script that makes it a real worthy piece of gear.

i can't thank Myralfur enough for that! he did an more then amazing job!
*** Image GAFM ***

exper

Post by exper » Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:50 pm

rikhyray wrote:
exper wrote: I wish that in the Ableton template, the 8 faders/mute/send buttons would dynamically shift to another group of 8 channels, not just the first 8.
For my use 1 button press to see next 8 is OK, what would be other "dynamically" option?

No, it is easy enough with the remote but, i don't know. I'm still keeping the remotezero, but I have to say, at home, when composing, I love using the apc so much more.

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Sun Oct 04, 2009 5:10 pm

exper wrote:
Android Bishop wrote:
exper wrote:Speaking as someone with both the remote sl and an apc, I gotta say the apc is better in a strictly ableton live way. The remote doesn't automatically re-route the faders to the next batch of channels like the apc, and the automapping us muck better. I do miss the screens on the remote, but now i'm just going to use it as an editor for my oberheim matrix 6 and for more in depth editing of reakor and other vst's. Novation needs to somehow emulate the apc's mapping and it would be great.

the apc doesnt really ALLOW dynamic mapping beyond macro controls or the list of configured parameters of a plugin. Compare that to Automap, which allows multi-page configuration of parameters over buttons, faders, encoders, and nobs...all with the ability to be controlled in the way YOU want to. Plus it allows you to create 16 channels worth of custom midi templates, which can be used by themselves or expanded with device control scripts or MaxMsp.

So no, I'd like to keep Automap the way it is (minus bugs). It is one of the most powerful and flexible control systems on the market
No, trust me, I definitely like my Remote Zero, as I'm using both currently, but I wish that in the Ableton template, the 8 faders/mute/send buttons would dynamically shift to another group of 8 channels, not just the first 8. Unless I have been missing something? I'm just going to use the apc for clips, mixing, etc; and use the remote zero for automapping specific plugins.
what you are doing wrong is that you are using the ABLETON automap template. That shit is pointless if you have an APC40. You should be on Automap universal, which opens up a whole can o worms of control over vst plugins and MIDI that nothing else can even TOUCH

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:39 pm

SubFunk wrote:
i can't thank Myralfur enough for that! he did an more then amazing job!
Thanks for mentioning the name, I just found it, had a look- amazing. That is what I hope for SCS3m, someone smart who can turn duck into swan. SCS3 hardware has great potential but obviously Stanton has no software developers, I am afraid the product will die unless someone else develops the "brains" for it. Good to know that there is this nanoAlternative.