Side Wing Removal for the APC 40?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alextronica

Side Wing Removal for the APC 40?

Post by Alextronica » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:33 pm

Hey Y'all

So what's the deal with removing the pointless side wings on the APC. I seen picture of others who have done it but I cant seem to get mine off. Whole reason I'm doing it is it will fit in my bag better.

Akai seems to think it sacrilegious and takes offense every time I called about it. They tell me it voids my warranty. I cant believe that removing pointless pieces for style constitutes opening of the casing. But they say it does. I still think I'll be able to put them back on if I ever do need to send the thing back.

I removed the 3 allen screws on the side as well as the 3 phillips screws on the bottom. I feel they should just pop off, but no luck. I dont want to break the thing, I just want it to fit in my bag.

Anyone got advice? Feel free to convince me not to remove them. I'd love to hear your thoughts. I love a good debate.

Anyway Thanks for your input.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

Rinsemeister

Re: Side Wing Removal for the APC 40?

Post by Rinsemeister » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:39 pm

Don't be too gentle........

do you have an angle grinder....?

:mrgreen:

Z.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Nice

that MIGHT work but I was hoping more of an explanation.

You got pictures?
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

Illum

Post by Illum » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:20 am

Fuck akai. take them shits off, there ridiculous.

I just posted pics in another thread here a week ago.

remove the 3 allen screws on each side.
remove the bottom plate INCLUDING THE 6 SCREWS UNDER THE RUBBER FEET (don't worry, pull the feet off, they have little nubs that pop right back in).
remove the ribbon cables (or get a really short handled philips and be careful).
TAKE OUT THE 3 INSIDE SCREWS ON EACH SIDE HOLDING THE SIDES ON.
illumeaudio.com
myspace/illiacsound

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:12 am

Thanks Illium

You really have to do all that to get the pointless sides off.

you got to take the whole thing apart huh?

So there are three screw inside the APC holding the sides on.

Those little kubs on the feet dont hold the feet in I gotta re-glue em.

Weak design. They made it so you can replace the X fader. Like anyone's really going to be cutting hard with an APC. I'd really like to see that! Sounds more like a bandwagon thing to me.

"forget that A&H mixer with replaceable Cross fader, I got two Technics running into Ableton with an Apc40 Yo!"

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:14 am

how is that a weak design? christ, the hate... :roll:

you can put in a crossfader that you like the feel of. I guess you've never owned a mixer, those things get dusty and become crackly.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:46 am

Ohh I know Tone

Even on an APC? Seems like if that happen the Volume fader are just as susceptible. and you can't replace those. You got to agree with dont you.

And yeah I've read some hate coming from you on occasion. I must admit you've got better at being nicer. either that or my questions dont seem to annoy you as much the more I learn. I cant wait to hear what you got to say bout that.

pbs99

Post by pbs99 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:48 am

Hey,
I couldn't find the sidewing removal pics Illum said were posted elsewhere.... I'm also interested in saving a couple of inches of space in a bag.
Is the unit still basically sealed once these are removed? No big gaps for crap to get inside the casing (except the screwholes)?
thanks....

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:42 am

Dude I love it without those damn side pieces. Fits in bag so good.

If Akai's reading this "Um No hell No I didnt remove those"

Anyway

here Check it out

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=124493

Take out the X fader. remove the rubber feet. 3 Allen Screws on each side, 20 bottom screws, carefully open it like a pizza box from the bottom when the unit is upside down, and 4 screws per each side piece. Watch your wires when you close it. 20 screws back on the bottom, rubber feet should stick back on but Im sure they'll fall off soon enough now that you've removed em, and behold what the APC was meant to be!

I'm thinking I might take some pliers and snap off these tiny plastic nubs all over the sides. I'm sure they break off anyway.

Enjoy

pbs99

Post by pbs99 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:02 pm

Hmmmm, well as i put it back together i got some of those cables trapped, and think i severed some of them, and now my APC doesn't work! Do you think Akai will send me a new one?

Just kidding, it worked out fine,and now it'll fit into my carry-on baggage. Mission Accomplished,
thanks for the help!

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought when Ableton was selling their limtited edition bags there was a picture with an APC in one of the pockets and now some people are saying it actually doesn't fit in Ableton's own bag??

I don't have an APC BTW.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:43 pm

I guess it fits but just barely. So I read here somewhere.

I carry mine in an Ableton Canvas bag. Similar to the padded bag but without the padding. Without the wings it works great!

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 pm

beats me wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought when Ableton was selling their limtited edition bags there was a picture with an APC in one of the pockets and now some people are saying it actually doesn't fit in Ableton's own bag??

I want an APC BTW.
It's a little snug, but the APC fits in just fine:

All closed up:

It can also fit a 17" laptop, an interface, external drive, headphones, cables, etc. in addition to the APC. The headliner backpack is exactly what I needed.

Alextronica

Post by Alextronica » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:33 pm

There ya have it. Thanks for the pictures.

I just need that in a shoulder strap edition.

I find myself wishing too much lately. So it goes.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:38 pm

Cool. I thought somebody in another thread said it wouldn't fit.

With that said you could probably fit 4 Launchpads in there and still have enough room for 2 Filipinos.