What laptop stand are you rockin'?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Re: What laptop stand are you rockin'?

Post by rikhyray » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:51 pm

nowtime wrote: That looks sweet. I wonder if the gap at the bottom is high enough to fit a Launchpad or PadKontrol, so that there are a few rows of buttons/pads available to me. That would be an unexpected opening for real estate for me. Gonna look into that.
Easily. You can have all your stuff on space of one notebook. Ideal for DJ jobs where there is little space which is 90% of DJ jobs. I use it for writing music in patio, Novation SL 37 goes under it, I can see the displays, so dont worry about launchpad.
Warning it wont hold heavier notebooks well. Extra plus, I feel it gives some extra protection /suspension from vibrations.

oblique strategies

Post by oblique strategies » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Targus CoolPad.

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:36 pm

That's a joke right?

Something that costs less than $5 of PVC pipe and 10 minutes of your time with a hand saw... $70? Unbelievable.

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:20 am

shuutobi wrote: That's a joke right?

Something that costs less than $5 of PVC pipe and 10 minutes of your time with a hand saw... $70? Unbelievable.
I agree it is expensive, but in defense the pipe is metal, coated with a really grippy rubber layer, a long way from cheap PVC.
There is nothing stopping you from attempting it out of plastic pipe, but it wont produce the same result!
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:27 am

it just looks so childish. yellow is not one of my favorite colors. doesnt look nice at all...
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:29 am

Bleep Blop Ima Robot wrote:it just looks so childish. yellow is not one of my favorite colors. doesnt look nice at all...
available in black and white hehe! I am not doing a good job of selling this one :lol:
Ableton Suite 8, Komplete 6, Macbook + IMac, Nuforce Icon HDP, Art tubefire 8, Korg MicroKontrol + wacKMK, Oxygen 8 +++
http://soundcloud.com/ashtonron

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:34 am

ok...now a black one would definitely look better, ill give it that. its just when i see yellow rubber it makes me think of building block toys lol, white might even look good to.
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

shuutobi

Post by shuutobi » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:24 am

ashtonron wrote:
shuutobi wrote: That's a joke right?

I agree it is expensive, but in defense the pipe is metal, coated with a really grippy rubber layer, a long way from cheap PVC.
There is nothing stopping you from attempting it out of plastic pipe, but it wont produce the same result!
Gotcha... Then I can probably see the cost being justifiable.

bagginz

Post by bagginz » Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:41 am

nowtime wrote: That looks sweet. I wonder if the gap at the bottom is high enough to fit a Launchpad or PadKontrol, so that there are a few rows of buttons/pads available to me. That would be an unexpected opening for real estate for me. Gonna look into that.
That's my main consideration too.

In terms of being able to use the extra space for an APC, keyboard etc. this looks more functional than any posted so far, though styling is another matter.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_bdb_AR_20 ... l?image=15

At 27 euros it's inexpensive also. Here's the same unit differently configured using the alternative (included) parts:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/prod_bdb_AR_20 ... ml?image=5

http://www.thomann.de/gb/millenium_lapt ... _clamp.htm

Also:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/stanton_laptopstaender.htm

cheers,
bagginz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:13 am

this one is REAL shit to set up... i know a few people having it and i always have a laugh seeing them try to fiddle the little screws into there stand while others have set up all there stuff already.
*** Image GAFM ***

mkelly

Post by mkelly » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:15 pm

rikhyray wrote:Easily. You can have all your stuff on space of one notebook. Ideal for DJ jobs where there is little space which is 90% of DJ jobs. I use it for writing music in patio, Novation SL 37 goes under it, I can see the displays, so dont worry about launchpad.
Warning it wont hold heavier notebooks well. Extra plus, I feel it gives some extra protection /suspension from vibrations.
I also have the mStand which I'm currently using for a Virus Snow. I had used mine for a 15" MBP, and actually found it to be a little bouncy for my liking. I found that it picked up vibrations from the desk which resulted in the screen shaking which was a little distracting.

You have a point though - it's bouncy enough to absorb some of shock vibrations coming from the surface on which it's sitting.
Live 7, Logic Studio 8, Mac Pro 8-core/2.26/6GB, OS X 10.5.6, Saffire Pro 40, Alesis M1 Active 520s, Remote SL 37, Virus TI Snow, Nord Rack 2, Zebra 2, Sylenth1

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:38 pm

mkelly wrote:
rikhyray wrote:I feel it gives some extra protection /suspension from vibrations.
the protection against vibrations and spilled drinks are the main reasons next to the comfort of a not so much bent back of mine... why i use the stand, that is why i don't like to stiff constructions, either... it needs the right balance between not to wobble and not being to stiff either.
*** Image GAFM ***

AceLuby

Post by AceLuby » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:01 pm

I use one of these:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=710037

Laptop & interface on top, keys, APC40 & MPD18 on bottom. I add 2 $5 shelves so they are secure.
levimoniz wrote:yes i'm a hypocrite and not intelligent

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:47 pm

hi, after seeing the yellow one i realized that i must have a laptop stand.. :lol: so i went to buy some stuff.. and traraa.. my laptop-stand...:

outershpongolia

Post by outershpongolia » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:11 pm

Griffin Elevator is awesome, I broke the damn clear part the first day I got it though. It seems like one of the two arms wasn't sanded down to fit the size that it needed to be (because it was a good size bigger than the other arm) so getting it into the clear base was difficult, and getting it out was impossible, I broke the clear part getting it out and now I have it taped up.. but it works now, both arms will come out nicely, and you can't see the clear tape. It's just a bitch having it broke the first day I got it

Definitely looks slick with the aluminum MacBook Pro's and my Fast Track Ultra sits right underneath the laptop, snugged right up on that clear base that say's "griffin".

I also found a perfect little wooden shelf to put on top of it, so it holds my laptop, korg nanoKONTROL and nanoPAD perfectly.

I'll post pictures of the desk set up I just explained and my stand up setup used when I jam.. I'm pretty proud of them :mrgreen: