Are there the BPM standards?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
akm

Are there the BPM standards?

Post by akm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:28 pm

I notice that I meet 128 BPM's in music very often lately. All Dedamau5 songs are 128 BPM's, lots of other songs, 128 is very often last times. Loops in libraries also... I can be mistaken, but as far as I could remember Christian Morgenstern used 133.3333~ BPM's for all his tracks - for nice looking blackrecords, because it makes nice visual patterns on them. Do you compose your tracks in different BPM's? I think it is not a bad idea to have some standards for different styles of electronic music for easier mixing-beatmatching.

re.mark

Re: Are there the BPM standards?

Post by re.mark » Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:42 pm

generally use:
140 [138 - 142 depending]
170 [168 - 175 again depending]

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:00 pm

I have my DAW calibrated by British BPM Standards every year and proudly display my license and permit above the yukka plant in my studio for all to see.

Nial

Post by Nial » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:02 pm

I don't even know how to reply to this but I feel that it still warrants a response. (nice one Guff Tong... I think you win...)

Drop the whole concept of BPM on the floor. :evil: In the context of using Live and composing your own tracks what purpose does it serve? Warp things to where you want them to be, then unwarp them to pull people into a track that you've made.

When I produce, I generally have some specific riff I want to lay down. I "listen" to it in my head, click out the BPM in live, and then friggin record it. If I get done and I look at the BPM counter and it's a decimal, I'll round it to an integer. That's about it...

It's kind of fun when you finally realize that the piece you've just made is in 3/4, running at 110 BPM and you can still use it. Make a track at each 10th BPM: 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, and 180. Then subdivide a song at 180 back down to 90.
~Nial

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:16 pm

Guff Tong wrote:I have my DAW calibrated by British BPM Standards every year and proudly display my license and permit above the yukka plant in my studio for all to see.
This is recommended practice. But everyone knows German BPM calibration standards are the best in the world. I get my BPMs calibrated here - http://www.din.de/. Also, once a year, a man in a suit comes round to calibrate my frequencies according NF S30-002; NF EN ISO 266:1997-06-01 Acoustics. Preferred frequencies.

phazed

Post by phazed » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:25 pm

akm wrote:I notice that I meet 128 BPM's in music very often lately. All Dedamau5 songs are 128 BPM's, lots of other songs, 128 is very often last times. Loops in libraries also...
The fact that most current house tracks use 128 BPM is more or less lazyness of the producers. A well known sample library used this tempo for their loops some years ago. Most stuff in this library was sampled from other house records and the originals were often different from 128 BPM. But they tuned them to a consistent tempo for easier beat-matching.

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:50 pm

loads of tech house tunes I've been buying seem to be 125-126

chevthewizard

Post by chevthewizard » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:53 pm

Everyone knows all the best tunes are in the 120-126bpm range
My Website | Myspace | Soundcloud
birdhouse19 wrote:i was playing a club last night and had to play some rap, and i know ableton live isnt very good with rap without a sound card.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:53 pm

phazed wrote:
akm wrote:I notice that I meet 128 BPM's in music very often lately. All Dedamau5 songs are 128 BPM's, lots of other songs, 128 is very often last times. Loops in libraries also...
The fact that most current house tracks use 128 BPM is more or less lazyness of the producers. A well known sample library used this tempo for their loops some years ago. Most stuff in this library was sampled from other house records and the originals were often different from 128 BPM. But they tuned them to a consistent tempo for easier beat-matching.
yeah, it's terrible and goes further, that DJs play the feckin same tempo all night long, terrible, just terrible.

forget about bpms as numbers, built tracks based on the right tempo feel for the track...
*** Image GAFM ***

akm

Post by akm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:54 pm

phazed wrote:
So this is not just I notice, I thought maybe I'm hallucinating. I think it's cool to have the recommendation to use certain BPM for house, trance, techno, hardcore, etc. tracks. I think very early techno tracks was made in 120 because some people did not even know that it is possible to control it )))

akm

Post by akm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:56 pm

SubFunk wrote: yeah, it's terrible and goes further, that DJs play the feckin same tempo all night long, terrible, just terrible.

forget about bpms as numbers, built tracks based on the right tempo feel for the track...
I found it's hard to decide a bpm for my tracks because I try them and like them at different BPM's depending of my mood and the mood the speed involves.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:59 pm

akm wrote:
SubFunk wrote: yeah, it's terrible and goes further, that DJs play the feckin same tempo all night long, terrible, just terrible.

I found it's hard to decide a bpm for my tracks because I try them and like them at different BPM's depending of my mood and the mood the speed involves.
but that is beautiful, why destroying such a valuable point? music has a hell lot to do with emotions... don't kill that, damn robot music.

we all turn into robots, everything has to be perfect and 'the same' all the time...
*** Image GAFM ***

Da hand

Post by Da hand » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:02 pm

Nothing wrong with keeping a steady tempo during a night - as there are many other ways to build excitement, tension and changes.

Yes, I agree to build tracks according to the right feel, but certain styles will definitely gravitate around certain BPMs because that is where they "feel" best.

akm

Post by akm » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:03 pm

Honestly, I like the limitations in the production, I found too much freedom make you lost in it... ))

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:09 pm

Nothing wrong with keeping a steady tempo during a night - as there are many other ways to build excitement, tension and changes.
i think that way of playing it's not enough and not to complex for my taste. i like what you say plus real tempo changes, that is a good set in my eyes.

but people can't dance our days, that is really hard to do... you usually loose the crowd, because of there disabled dancing styles.
Yes, I agree to build tracks according to the right feel, but certain styles will definitely gravitate around certain BPMs because that is where they "feel" best.
agreed,

what i mean is bpm as a number is not everything, especially in breakbeats but also 4/4 i can make you a track with a little lower bpm number and still get a more uptempo speedy feel going the with a higher bpm number... it has so many factors 'how fast or slow a track 'feels'

that is what i meant.
*** Image GAFM ***