OT: tech support: extra audio output

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
naujpablo

OT: tech support: extra audio output

Post by naujpablo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:22 pm

Hey all! Don't know if this is the right forum for this, but I didn't knew where else to post this. I'm starting as a DJ with Live, and I think I need an extra audio output for the CUE in headphones. I recently bought a lot of stuff, so I have almost no money at all... so, whats the cheapest way to get an extra audio output? maybe a very cheap audio interface? I don't care quality, it's for for me and my headphones, to listen the next track to come, so I'm not a producer or something like that.

thanks in advance!

8O

Re: OT: tech support: extra audio output

Post by 8O » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:25 pm

The very cheapest way is to split your stereo output from your mac into two mono (e.g. left = main output, right = cue output).

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Oct 08, 2009 11:45 pm

8O wrote:The very cheapest way is to split your stereo output from your mac into two mono (e.g. left = main output, right = cue output).
This works, but theres a cheap way to get stereo cueing and output withough buying a soundcard.

USB headphones install on Windows as a separate audio device ie the system sees it as another output. This allows you to set the cue to the USB headphones and the main to the headphone out jack on your Mac. In Win this is done with the ASIO4ALL driver, but I would be surprised if CoreAudio couldnt do this, as its pretty excellent at device aggregation.

I used this method for practicing mixing before i got a decent portable soundcard.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

naujpablo

Post by naujpablo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:09 am

Thanks for the answers!

Split the stereo out into 2 mono won`t work for me, since I need the stereo output for main out.

USB headphones sound good, but I already own two of them and I don`t think that I need one. Maybe an adapter for this? Like a very tini audio interface? or an USB artifact with one stereo output?

:P

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:09 am

naujpablo wrote:Thanks for the answers!

Split the stereo out into 2 mono won`t work for me, since I need the stereo output for main out.

USB headphones sound good, but I already own two of them and I don`t think that I need one. Maybe an adapter for this? Like a very tini audio interface? or an USB artifact with one stereo output?

:P
The usb headphones are a USB audio interface with one stereo output and no inputs. You should be able to aggregate that device in CoreAudio. Then you should just be able to make that output active in Live prefs, and then assign the cue output to it.
nathannn wrote:i will block everyone on this forum if i have to.

zalo

Post by zalo » Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:46 am

are you just using the headphone out jack for your main outs?

you know an external soundcard with multiple outs is going to sound light years better anyway

tmech

Post by tmech » Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:54 am

Go here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1215

Couldn't be easier. Does anyone know if there are stability issues with using a 1-in, 1-out card for main stereo outs, and using the powerbook built-in audio output for cue?

tmech

Post by tmech » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:50 pm

Postscript: I actually did encounter stability issues when creating an audio device group in Core Audio. I would like to know how the person who posted the link to the amazon.com product sets up that product in Live.